Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 630768 times)

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
Re: Radiation
« Reply #1410 on: April 07, 2018, 10:50:50 PM »
What are alpha particles, Tim?

Is this question designed to test the knowledge of an ex-nuke or are you actually in search of knowledge?  It is a helium ion (no electrons, net positive charge).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:54:18 PM by timfinch »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1411 on: April 07, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
As much substance as smoke. You bandy your opinion around like a sledge hammer but as soon as something real and hard is asked for you have nothing.  Not even a single data point to satisfy an inquiring mind.

Ah, yes. "Ignoring" is taking the time to re-read and summarize an article from the 60's that refuted two of your various and scattered claims. Or three; it is difficult to be precise here because your nomenclature diverges so greatly from standard practice.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1412 on: April 07, 2018, 10:51:55 PM »
I have answered all except one and that is because he is dishonest.  I m the one that is being left unanswered.  I have asked for one data point.  A single one and yet no answers me.

Several people have repeated shown you how you're misinterpreting the radiation data. They have asked you to look at the data instead of the graph. They have asked you to import the data into Excel and generate a graph yourself, just like they have done. You have refused to do that. Why?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1413 on: April 07, 2018, 10:55:34 PM »
I have answered all except one and that is because he is dishonest.  I m the one that is being left unanswered.  I have asked for one data point.  A single one and yet no answers me.

Several people have repeated shown you how you're misinterpreting the radiation data. They have asked you to look at the data instead of the graph. They have asked you to import the data into Excel and generate a graph yourself, just like they have done. You have refused to do that. Why?

Maybe you should follow the thread.  I have actually did that and posted the results.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #1414 on: April 07, 2018, 10:58:34 PM »

Is this question designed to test the knowledge of an ex-nuke or are you actually in search of knowledge?  It is a helium ion (no electrons, net positive charge).

So how can there be "alpha laden particles" on lunar dust?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1415 on: April 07, 2018, 10:59:16 PM »
Here is the results of my data download for your perusal.  The same people insisted that the data was inapplicable because it was in a different solar cycle so what actually would be the point in duplicating a graph the web site produced on demand for people who refuse to accept the data as valid?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1416 on: April 07, 2018, 11:00:35 PM »

Did you not read the post where the article stated that?  I didn't say it, I simply posted and referenced the article.

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1417 on: April 07, 2018, 11:05:58 PM »
KREEP
The lunar geochemical component KREEP contains trace amounts of the radioactive elements Thorium and Uranium. Regolith dust formed from this rock is a serious health hazard.

The radiation given off is Alpha particles (helium nuclei) and they do not penetrate very effectively. The direct radiation is stopped by any pressure vessel wall and even a well designed layer of spacesuit material. The problem is that if the dust is ingested into the human body, the particles will lay directly on lung or intestine tissue and are carcinogenic. Ingestion of the dust must therefore be rigorously limited.

KREEP is concentrated in the Oceanus Procellarum (Ocean of Storms) and Mare Imbrium (Sea of Rains) with a major concentration south of Crater Copernicus. This region covers about 40% of the Earth-facing side of the Moon. Based on the small number of lunar samples returned, low KREEP regions measure 8% or less of the radioactive elements in their dust compared to the high KREEP regions. With current technology, the entire high KREEP region is not acceptable for any long-term human settlement or manned mining operation.

The high KREEP region contains many sites of interest to science, particularly those of volcanic origin. Even short scientific expeditions there will require special procedures to prevent ingestion of dust and the removal of dust from all returning equipment.

Radon Gas
Another source of dangerous radiation is the radon gas that is created in the decay of trace amounts of uranium found naturally in lunar rocks. This gas is very heavy and concentrates in low areas. This type of radiation is easily stopped by even a thin layer of material, but radon is carcinogenic if ingested directly into the body.

Even though sensitive scientific equipment has been able to detect radon on Luna, the quantity of radon gas is such that it can be ignored. The lunar atmosphere is so thin that the most massive component, Argon, is present in only 30,000 particles per cubic centimeter, that is 2 trillionths of a gram per cubic meter. Radon is so scarce that it is not even mentioned in the list of components in the lunar atmosphere article. See the Moon Fact Sheet from NASA.

Radon has also been detected from lunar outgassing events.

http://lunarpedia.org/index.php?title=Radiation_Problem

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1418 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
So tell me AtomicDog, does the article meet your criteria for proof?

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #1419 on: April 07, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »

Did you not read the post where the article stated that?  I didn't say it, I simply posted and referenced the article.

So you repeated something that was wrong. Didn't you know it was wrong? Shouldn't your ex-nuke knowledge tell you it was wrong?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #1420 on: April 07, 2018, 11:10:22 PM »
KREEP
The lunar geochemical component KREEP contains trace amounts of the radioactive elements Thorium and Uranium. Regolith dust formed from this rock is a serious health hazard.

The radiation given off is Alpha particles (helium nuclei) and they do not penetrate very effectively. The direct radiation is stopped by any pressure vessel wall and even a well designed layer of spacesuit material. The problem is that if the dust is ingested into the human body, the particles will lay directly on lung or intestine tissue and are carcinogenic. Ingestion of the dust must therefore be rigorously limited.

KREEP is concentrated in the Oceanus Procellarum (Ocean of Storms) and Mare Imbrium (Sea of Rains) with a major concentration south of Crater Copernicus. This region covers about 40% of the Earth-facing side of the Moon. Based on the small number of lunar samples returned, low KREEP regions measure 8% or less of the radioactive elements in their dust compared to the high KREEP regions. With current technology, the entire high KREEP region is not acceptable for any long-term human settlement or manned mining operation.

The high KREEP region contains many sites of interest to science, particularly those of volcanic origin. Even short scientific expeditions there will require special procedures to prevent ingestion of dust and the removal of dust from all returning equipment.

Radon Gas
Another source of dangerous radiation is the radon gas that is created in the decay of trace amounts of uranium found naturally in lunar rocks. This gas is very heavy and concentrates in low areas. This type of radiation is easily stopped by even a thin layer of material, but radon is carcinogenic if ingested directly into the body.

Even though sensitive scientific equipment has been able to detect radon on Luna, the quantity of radon gas is such that it can be ignored. The lunar atmosphere is so thin that the most massive component, Argon, is present in only 30,000 particles per cubic centimeter, that is 2 trillionths of a gram per cubic meter. Radon is so scarce that it is not even mentioned in the list of components in the lunar atmosphere article. See the Moon Fact Sheet from NASA.

Radon has also been detected from lunar outgassing events.

http://lunarpedia.org/index.php?title=Radiation_Problem

You have confused "Alpha particles", which exist, with "Alpha laden particles", which don't.  Perhaps you meant to say "laden with Alpha particles", as that makes sense, at least in the terms of physics.

NOTE: Edited to add quotation mark.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #1421 on: April 07, 2018, 11:10:29 PM »

Maybe you should follow the thread.  I have actually did that and posted the results.

Maybe you should be careful about the kind of attitude you direct at me. I'll let the people asking you the questions decide whether you responded adequately.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #1422 on: April 07, 2018, 11:13:40 PM »

Can you show me where "alpha laden particles" appears in that article?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1423 on: April 07, 2018, 11:15:37 PM »

Maybe you should be careful about the kind of attitude you direct at me. I'll let the people asking you the questions decide whether you responded adequately.
Maybe you should be careful in how you accuse me.  We wouldn't want everyone to think that you are not impartial and are trying to railroad me out of here now would we?

Offline timfinch

• Jupiter
  • BANNED
« Reply #1424 on: April 07, 2018, 11:16:51 PM »

Can you show me where "alpha laden particles" appears in that article?
I am no help with comprehension.  After school age it is irreparable.