Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399660 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #1785 on: December 25, 2020, 12:56:12 PM »
Welcome to the least-surprising pardon so far--Jared Kushner's father.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1786 on: December 27, 2020, 01:10:26 PM »
I have to say I saw the stream of deplorable pardons coming, and I don't consider myself especially prescient for saying so.  Of course he's saving the best for last:  his children and their spouses.  Why?  Because you can't be prospectively pardoned.  You can only be pardoned from crimes you have already committed.  And they have until Jan. 20 to keep committing pardonable crimes.  Then the coup de crap:  can a President pardon himself?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1787 on: December 27, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »
I have to say I saw the stream of deplorable pardons coming, and I don't consider myself especially prescient for saying so.  Of course he's saving the best for last:  his children and their spouses.  Why?  Because you can't be prospectively pardoned.  You can only be pardoned from crimes you have already committed.  And they have until Jan. 20 to keep committing pardonable crimes. Then the coup de crap:  can a President pardon himself?

I wonder if he's been paying attention to the law recently passed in Russia, which grants lifetime immunity to former Presidents: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54979804

Not that he's got a chance of passing something like that into law, but I wonder if he's been wondering what he can do in the same vein.

Plus, there's the speculation that he's going to announce his candidacy for 2024 an hour or so before Biden's inauguration, just to steal the media attention...

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1788 on: December 27, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
Like someone announcing their engagement at a wedding. Would 100% be in character, though he already claimed he would run again in 2024 even before he lost, claiming that 1st term somehow didn't count. ::)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1789 on: December 28, 2020, 03:15:19 AM »
I have to say I saw the stream of deplorable pardons coming, and I don't consider myself especially prescient for saying so.  Of course he's saving the best for last:  his children and their spouses.  Why?  Because you can't be prospectively pardoned.  You can only be pardoned from crimes you have already committed.  And they have until Jan. 20 to keep committing pardonable crimes.  Then the coup de crap:  can a President pardon himself?

Even if he can, it won't be valid for State crimes.

Letitia James is after his arse in New York & Cyrus Vance is gunning for him in  New York County. They both have a long list of crimes they are investigating the Trump Mob for.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1790 on: December 28, 2020, 01:35:45 PM »
I suspect quite a lot of those people are going to find out exactly what their pardons are worth when the state indictments start coming.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1791 on: December 28, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »
Concerning a family so egregiously malfeasant as the Trumps, there will no doubt be many state and local cases against them.  But the desire among many is to restore some dignity to the office of President by holding the President and his advisors/family accountable for the many acts of depravity they engaged in while in office.  The desire is to remind future holders of the office that the President is not above the law.

While the policy of the U.S. Dept. of Justice is that no sitting President may be charged with a crime, it is not that no sitting President can commit a crime.  And the moment he ceases to be President, he is chargeable for any crime he committed for which the statute of limitations has not run, regardless of what office he held when he committed it.  In terms of restoring the dignity of the office and its penumbra, almost all of that is governed by federal law, over which the President has fairly unfettered pardon power.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #1792 on: December 29, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »
And the legal clown show continues.

"Leading New Texas Rebellion, Louie Gohmert Sues Mike Pence Because VP Lacks Authority to Overturn Joe Biden’s Election Win"

I guess in the the post-fact era, the Constitution can say whatever you want it to say.  ::)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1793 on: December 30, 2020, 03:48:23 AM »
Oh dear gods  .  . .  the stupid just gets worse and worse!
By the way, this is what the link looks like as you  posted it, BazBear: http://"https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/leading-new-texas-rebellion-louie-gohmert-sues-mike-pence-because-vp-lacks-authority-to-overturn-joe-bidens-election-win/" I had to edit it to get a working hyperlink.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #1794 on: December 30, 2020, 04:08:19 AM »
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1795 on: December 30, 2020, 05:29:03 PM »
The desire is to remind future holders of the office that the President is not above the law.

And there we have the issue: he doesn't care if the office is above the law or not because HE is above the law, regardless of what he is doing.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #1796 on: December 30, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »
oh! And a prediction (again!): As Republicans start to denounce Trump by not agreeing with his call for a greater cash-in-hand stimulus package, he'll use this as an excuse to use instead of his waning popularity. He'll claim the the Republicans were bought off somehow - he'll have to squeeze 'fake news' in there somehow - and there will be a "popular uprising" for Trumpians to embrace their name and form a splinter political group al la Tea Party.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #1797 on: January 02, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
Is it true Trump can wage war in Iran and he can be "by force of law" 4 more years as president?
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1798 on: January 02, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
Is it true Trump can wage war in Iran and he can be "by force of law" 4 more years as president?

No.  There's no provision in U.S. law for any such thing.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1799 on: January 02, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »
Well, a federal judge threw the case out, but yeeeesh, just the idea of it is just. . . I need a new dictionary for the sheer audacious stupidity of it all. And, of course, they're appealing.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/01/politics/gohmert-pence-electoral-college-lawsuit-thrown-out/index.html
American democracy limps on, but remember when I said the earlier Texas lawsuit was "the stupidest, most inane and pointlessly divisive piece of political posturing I have ever seen"? This may well, dare I say, Trump it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:16:42 PM by raven »