Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 400556 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
I've read that tourism is already down and likely to decrease further.  Which, of course, will hurt the economy and cost jobs, just like everything else from the administration.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »
I'm seriously thinking about buying a Resistance T-shirt for my next trip to Washington. If they stop me at the border, WIN! No more getting sent on business travel to the U.S.

Hehehe (evil cackle)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »
The most recent executive order appears intended to just outright destroy any number of agencies.  I really don't think it'll hold up in court.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »
The most recent executive order appears intended to just outright destroy any number of agencies.  I really don't think it'll hold up in court.

Which is why so much effort was made to keep the seat open on the Supreme  Court until a conservative swing justice could be appointed.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »
I'm not sure I see all the conservative justices there now as being willing to approve it.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »
It is being reported that he us cancelling Asteroid Redirect Mission. So preventing a future apocalypse is not considered important. Maybe he's expecting another apocalypse sooner?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
I'm not sure I see all the conservative justices there now as being willing to approve it.

No, they probably won't.  But still in the American system Congress holds the pursestrings.  The President can suggest a budget, but it's up to Congress to actually write it.  And from the early reports I've seen, many in Congress have no intention of cutting that deeply.  Some of the programs on the chopping block have historically had bipartisan support despite partisan fluctuations in spending for them.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
I've read that tourism is already down and likely to decrease further.  Which, of course, will hurt the economy and cost jobs, just like everything else from the administration.

I thought of going with my GF. I think we'll wait about 3y10mds.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »
Count your blessings. At least your country will still exist in 2020.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »
Don't worry - we have our own problems, with rising crime and politicians who want to be "politically correct" and not do anything about it.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2017, 02:30:56 AM »
The US will recover. I think they are beginning to wake up to exactly what they have elected but they will recover. That's the benefit of a democracy.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2017, 04:33:34 AM »
Unfortunately the recent votes and votes to come shortly for us aren't the kind you can take back.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
To be fair, he was a bit outnumbered.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
He was, but he was also being incredibly dismissive of real concerns.