Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 471347 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #390 on: August 28, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »
His assertion will be all of this material was post written because he agitated for the information.

It will be very hard to claim that for a US Patent Application dated 1965... unless of course, the Patent Office is in on the hoax. That would be the next logical step for a person with such a distorted worldview.

But as we have said here before, the people who benefit most from the likes of ACW, Adrian and Baker coming here and getting an ass whipping is not them; they are beyond help IMO. Its the lurkers and those who might be teetering on the edge of hoax belief.

Every one of those we can educate, and show the preposterous lengths to which the Neil Bakers of this would will go to in order to deny what is right in front of them, is one that I hope will not fall into the trap.   
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #391 on: August 28, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Actually, I'd seen those photos before. But so long ago that I forgot about them.

How convenient.

The one photo with the radiative heaters? on is interesting because they apparently have bars blocking the direct radiation. The size of the chamber sure seems like overkill but then again with a sublimator sublimating maybe it's necessary.
So, one one hand you say (in an earlier post) that using a sublimator would destroy the vacuum (how, exactly?), now the chamber is too big. However, you don't appear to have a problem with the fact that there WAS a spacesuit test that took place in a vacuum chamber, so that must infer that you acknowledge that the spacesuit worked, as designed.

I am very ignorant. I don't KNOW anything about the sublimators. I can only believe. I haven't witnessed PROOF of anything.
Well, perhaps you could start with reading the copious information that you have been presented with? Then you might learn something about the very items that you are claiming that do not work. You could also withdraw this claim:
Naturally, I wanted to learn more. What does a spacesuit sublimator look like? Specifications? Procedures? Video of one being tested? Photographs? Technical discussions in heat transfer or thermodynamics books? I searched. Strangely and absurdly, I found almost nothing. I received almost nothing.

I got stonewalled when I appealed for information. Absurdly, there were no photographs. Absurdly, there was no video of spacesuits with ice sublimators being tested. Most absurdly, there was no information in any academic-level heat transfer or thermodynamics books. Absurdly, the alleged manufacturer, Hamilton Sunstrand of United Technologies would only release very elementary information. Absurdly, NASA's Johnson Space Center refused to provide video or photos and stonewalled me instead. Absurdly, the Rice University Department of Mechanical Engineering, most closely associated with Houston's Johnson Space Center refused to comment. Absurdly, my Congressional representatives in two states, California's and Washington's Feinstein, Boxer, Cantwell, Murray, Capps and Hastings, stonewalled me also when I requested their assistance acquiring accountability from NASA.
In fact, I insist on it. As you have now been provided with and acknowledged copious sources your claims that there "there was no information in any academic-level heat transfer or thermodynamics books" have now shown to be incorrect. Do yourself a favour, try and regain a shred of decency and withdraw this claim.

I'm also scientifically honest.

No you're not. But if you were then you would withdraw the claim above. Lets see you do this.

Which is the basis of this discussion. Of course they wouldn't send an untested suit. So where's the video of one being tested. Oh sure, they tested them and tested them for more than 50 years but not a single video. Plenty of video of spacesuits in swimming pools but none in a vacuum chamber down the hall. Anomaly. Focus.

Why the obsession on a video? Why would a video suddenly make the copious documents that you have been supplied with suddenly conclusive? Either they are or they are not. Or are you saying that only a video of a suited person in a high vacuum is a suitable proof?
If that is the case, then why is a still photo not conclusive? After all, a video is nothing more than a series of stills.
If your obsession demands a video, then how can you handwave away the many tens of hours of video that is freely available (assuming you can search them out- a subject that you so far have failed to demonstrate ANY particular skill in) of suits using sublimators in a vacuum environment?

Of course, we all know the answer to this. Your obsession is similar to Anders Bjorkmann's obsession with a $1Million test. You have constructed a test that is impossible to be carried out, and you then you have convinced yourself that that is the only proof that can possible apply. It isn't. Your test will never happen for many reasons. Why would you expect NASA to waste taxpayer's money on a ridiculous test for the benefit of one deranged obsessionist? Why would NASA allow a convicted felon into a critical installation? Why would your so-called witnesses want to be associated with a convicted felon's obsession?
However, your obsession with this ridiculous test is nothing more than that- an obsession. It does not remove the fact that sublimators have been shown to work, by many different nations,for over 50 years.

Let's see your detailed analysis of this document. With calculations please.
http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19720005423

It's an interesting document and thank you again for posting it. It's interesting how they say they did the sublimator test. They put the sublimator in a vacuum chamber without putting the astronaut inside. Something is very suspicious about that but I need to think about it a bit longer. What calculations are you expecting? Don't hold your breath waiting.
Think away. When you have finished thinking then feel free to come back and either acknowledge that it works as described OR provide evidence to the contrary. With calculations and test results to back up your findings.
As you say though, I won't hold my breath....

No, but I have watched with the naked eye what NASA says is a manned ISS passing by overhead. How do you KNOW there are people aboard?
Well try it with a small telescope. Or even a pair of binoculars. Then you will find that it fits the description of the ISS. And not an inflated construction.

Finally, can you please make an effort to work out how this forum uses quotations? It's very simple and it makes seeing where you have made comments much easier. It's a small detail, but a little courtesy would go a long way.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #392 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:14 PM »
Taking the ISS question and astronauts being on board, I have a question for Neil, well more of an observation. My understanding of a theory is that it must be consistent across the evidence upon which it draws. You claim that the ISS is an inflatable prop, yet there are many moonhoax CTs that draw upon the accepted story to underpin their hoax arguments. So, we arrive at a position where you have offered evidence that undermines all the hard work of Jarrah White, David Percy and others.

Do you realise that this does not look good for the side of the fence you sit on as the theory descends into a patchwork quilt of conflicting ideas? Thanks for you input in helping unstitch the consistency of the hoax theory even more. Kudos to you. To think that you want people to take you seriously about 9-11 through the platform of the moonhoax, yet you cannot provide a consistent narrative with your compatriots.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #393 on: August 28, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »
Can we have a vacuum chamber big enough to fit a CSM in as well, to test the evaporative cooling systems on that?

Yes, that was done.  And we still do it today, in much the same way.  The spacecraft is wheeled into the altitude test chamber and the pressure brought down to the appropriate vacuum.  Then radiant heat is applied, and the thermal control systems allowed to come to equilibrium.  Lots of telemetry ensues.  In fact, individual spacecraft generally must pass a round of these kinds of tests as part of customer acceptance.
Is this the Chamber B or is there another one around somewhere?

Well, the LM was tested in Chamber B.  I have done spacecraft test in Chamber B myself, and it goes as Jay describes.  The mammoth Chamber A is right nearby, and that was where the CSM stack was tested.

ETA: however, there aren't armed guards around the chambers, unless things have changed dramatically since I was at JSC.  No, I'm not claiming a T-shirt for a minor nontechnical point.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:37:32 PM by sts60 »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #394 on: August 28, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »
Baker:

NASA Technical Note D-8093
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19760003073.pdf
The Apollo Experience Report-The Development of the Extravehicular Mobility Unit.
Published Nov 1975 (this blows your ridiculous 2007 argument into the weeds)

Pages 34-44 shows the development of the PLSS and OPS systems. Full schematics are included
Pages 45-59 details the development of the PLSS. Refer to pages 48-50. This details the change from the original design of the PLSS which incorporated a wick-filled water boiler to remove metabolic heat to a porous-plate sublimator. A sectional view shows the construction of the sublimator.
Pages 62-64 details the qualification testing of the PLSS:
"The PLSS was subjected to a total of 20 thermal-vacuum lunar mission profiles, each lasting 3 or 4 hours. Test conditions simulated lunar day, lunar night, and LM cabin temperatures and pressures as well as crewman heat loads and contaminant level inputs. The total PLSS functional performance was evaluated for the three possible startup conditions: after a cold soak (116-K (-250" F) chamber wall temperature for 2 hours), after a hot soak (366-K (200" F) chamber wall temperature for 2 hours), and at ambient conditions."

Baker- please acknowledge that you have read this document. Recognise the publication date- how come your research did not include this?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #395 on: August 28, 2015, 08:58:24 PM »
Most absurdly, there was no information in any academic-level heat transfer or thermodynamics books. Absurdly, the alleged manufacturer, Hamilton Sunstrand of United Technologies would only release very elementary information. Absurdly, NASA's Johnson Space Center refused to provide video or photos and stonewalled me instead. Absurdly, the Rice University Department of Mechanical Engineering, most closely associated with Houston's Johnson Space Center refused to comment.

Rubbish
From Hamilton Standard:
http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.1964-1211

From the Second Conference on Portable Life Support Systems (May 1971)
http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19720019456

From Hamilton Standard (remember, the people who "only release very elementary information"  ::) ) Pages B-17
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCsQFjABahUKEwjAxJ3Zic3HAhWFOhQKHTm9BR8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fntrs.nasa.gov%2Farchive%2Fnasa%2Fcasi.ntrs.nasa.gov%2F19750016288.pdf&ei=KALhVcCQAoX1ULn6lvgB&usg=AFQjCNFWtxtq7BrAevvrapr2vGBIcKr53A&sig2=iMHWI6kVBlWS1u51Wot-YQ&cad=rja

From the New York Academy of Sciences (Volume 134) The Design and Development of the Apollo Extravehicular Mobility Unit
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1965.tb56174.x/pdf

How come your research hasn't found these? Are you saying that all these documents are bunkum and would only be validated by a video of a test?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #396 on: August 28, 2015, 09:19:35 PM »
Baker:

NASA Technical Note D-8093
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19760003073.pdf
The Apollo Experience Report-The Development of the Extravehicular Mobility Unit.
Published Nov 1975 (this blows your ridiculous 2007 argument into the weeds)

Pages 34-44 shows the development of the PLSS and OPS systems. Full schematics are included
Pages 45-59 details the development of the PLSS. Refer to pages 48-50. This details the change from the original design of the PLSS which incorporated a wick-filled water boiler to remove metabolic heat to a porous-plate sublimator. A sectional view shows the construction of the sublimator.
Pages 62-64 details the qualification testing of the PLSS:
"The PLSS was subjected to a total of 20 thermal-vacuum lunar mission profiles, each lasting 3 or 4 hours. Test conditions simulated lunar day, lunar night, and LM cabin temperatures and pressures as well as crewman heat loads and contaminant level inputs. The total PLSS functional performance was evaluated for the three possible startup conditions: after a cold soak (116-K (-250" F) chamber wall temperature for 2 hours), after a hot soak (366-K (200" F) chamber wall temperature for 2 hours), and at ambient conditions."

Baker- please acknowledge that you have read this document. Recognise the publication date- how come your research did not include this?
It is utterly amazing what information is available IF one looks.  Those silly boys at NASA did so much work to fabricate a hoax. ::)

EDIT: Very through report on the operation and testing of the whole system including the PLSS.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:41:50 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #397 on: August 28, 2015, 09:29:20 PM »
Unlike most of you, I'm also scientifically honest.

You are not scientifically honest. neither are you intellectually honest. In fact you are not honest at all in any way!

You come here and have;

► claimed to have extensively researched your so-called "anomaly", namely, the alleged non-functionality of the PLSS porous plate sublimator, and that you have been unable to find out any information about it.

The members here have provided dozens of links and examples of pages and pages of technical documentation, widely available to anyone carrying out the simplest of internet searches. 

► claimed that you have been stonewalled by NASA and the manufacturer.

The members here have provided both NASA and manufacturers documentation, as well as documentation from non-NASA sources.

► claimed that information  has only been released post 2007 when you first started agitating

The members here have provided proof that there is relevant technical information going back to as early as 1965.

► claimed that the PLSS has never been tested in a hard vacuum

The members here have provided documentary and video proof that the PLSS has been extensively tested, including a number of tests in hard vacuum.

You have had all your research done for you! You have had everything thing you asked for handed to you on a silver platter, and yet you still persist in denying the facts that are right in front of your face.

You are both scientifically and intellectually dishonest...

The fact is, you are a liar!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #398 on: August 29, 2015, 12:10:40 AM »

IHaving worked with UHV systems, water has a very nasty habit of sticking to the walls of vacuum systems. It's a real pain to remove from UHV systems
My educated guess is that this is one reason why thermal vacuum chambers have plates cooled by liquid nitrogen. Several volatiles (water, carbon dioxide) would freeze out on such plates, making the job easier for the vacuum pumps.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #399 on: August 29, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
Yes, that was done.  And we still do it today, in much the same way.  The spacecraft is wheeled into the altitude test chamber and the pressure brought down to the appropriate vacuum.  Then radiant heat is applied, and the thermal control systems allowed to come to equilibrium.  Lots of telemetry ensues.
My understanding is that thermal vacuum tests, at least for communications satellites, rarely involve solar simulation. It can be done, but is expensive. The spacecraft is powered and operated through hardlines that go through the chamber walls. Usually the walls of the chamber have lines through which coolant at various temperatures can be circulated. The spacecraft is allowed to come to radiative equilibrium with the walls and its correct operation at that temperature is verified. From memory, the range might be -25 C to +50 C, with one of the most severe tests being a power-up at the lowest temperature to see if the crystal oscillators start.

At the same time, witness plates chilled with liquid nitrogen capture any volatiles (grease, plasticizers, badly chosen adhesives, etc). This is especially important if you're flying with a spacecraft with optics (weather, earth resources, or astronomy; I guess spy would also qualify).

So the purpose is to verify correct operation in vacuum at a range of temperatures; the thermal design of the spacecraft is not checked, so you just have to make sure you get the surface coatings right.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:31:16 AM by ka9q »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #400 on: August 29, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »
My understanding is that thermal vacuum tests, at least for communications satellites, rarely involve solar simulation.

Well, I personally witnessed the Boeing 601HP and 701 thermal validation tests.  It was a Hughes design that Boeing bought.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #401 on: August 29, 2015, 01:02:01 AM »
Well, it was a little too strong to say that the thermal design is not checked. With or without a solar simulator the test will generate heat loads that will flow through the spacecraft just as they will in space (internal radiation and conduction but not air convection) so you'll know if there's a problem getting heat out of some module like a power amplifier.

But the spacecraft I'm familiar with were not tested to ensure their surfaces would achieve the desired temperatures in space. We relied on physics and the known properties of the surface coatings (multilayer blankets, second-surface mirrors, paints, solar cells, etc).

Then again our budget was a little lower than some.

Edited to add: Ah, I see you said "radiant heat", which I read to mean a solar simulator. The chambers I've seen had coolant lines on the walls to bring them to any desired temperature, which would in turn bring the spacecraft under test to the same temperature. Perhaps we're talking about the same thing.

I know that some of the large chambers originally built for Apollo did have solar simulators, but they're awfully expensive to run.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:13:27 AM by ka9q »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #402 on: August 29, 2015, 01:10:03 AM »
The fact is, you are a liar!

And I, for one, have no problem using the word.  We are saying that someone is knowingly saying things they know to be untrue.  Where I come from, the word for such behaviour is "lying."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #403 on: August 29, 2015, 01:11:50 AM »
SNIPPED A BIT.

...NASA has not been accountable...

Of course they wouldn't send an untested suit. So where's the video of one being tested. Oh sure, they tested them and tested them for more than 50 years but not a single video. Plenty of video of spacesuits in swimming pools but none in a vacuum chamber down the hall. Anomaly. Focus.

They put the sublimator in a vacuum chamber without putting the astronaut inside. Something is very suspicious about that but I need to think about it a bit longer...

If it's all as suspicious as you say, why didn't the Soviets say anything at the time? Or were they in on the hoax?

I have watched with the naked eye what NASA says is a manned ISS passing by overhead. How do you KNOW there are people aboard?

Because countries other than the USA send astronauts to the ISS. What do the Russians, Canadians and miscellaneous Europeans get out of hoaxing the ISS?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #404 on: August 29, 2015, 01:30:43 AM »
Because countries other than the USA send astronauts to the ISS. What do the Russians, Canadians and miscellaneous Europeans get out of hoaxing the ISS?
Not to mention some of the wealthiest people on the planet. How would you feel, if you were the kind of person who can spend 25 million or so on a vacation, specifically to spend it on the ISS, only to find you have to spend those couple of weeks cramped up in the Soyuz capsule and then, then find out you have to lie about it and say you spent it in the far roomier ISS. Remember, these are people who are wealthy beyond most of our realistic dreams, powerful individuals who are probably used to getting things their way.
I bet that would go as well as stampeding cattle through the Vatican.