Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 473359 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2015, 12:55:25 AM »
I don't know about rocks.

Then it's yet more evidence you can't explain.

Yes, it's pure speculation but...

But nothing.  Patching holes in your speculation with more speculation makes your case less convincing, not more.

Taguba and Fallon are recommended due to their gravitas and exemplary integrity at a time when it's apparent that it's extremely rare.

"Gravitas" is not a professional qualification.  I don't care about their celebrity.

They are well educated and I'm confident they would be capable of quickly acquiring the requisite knowledge...

Then they are presently unqualified.  You are not selecting them for their knowledge.  You are apparently selecting them because you consider them political allies.

Besides, it's expected that one or more other independent witnesses with engineering backgrounds would be present.

Many tests of the sublimator process have already been conducted under the supervision of qualified engineers.  You have no problem calling all of them liars, so explain why you would suddenly respect the engineers observing new tests.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:57:22 AM by JayUtah »
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2015, 01:03:47 AM »
Maybe they just continue to run the pumps while the tests are running? Now, I am not nearly so educated as many of the fine folks here, and I don't claim to be, but that would keep it from building up at least, yes?

But he'd allegedly be in a hermetically sealed suit for more than twelve hours requiring sublimator cooling at vacuum and other cooling on the way to vacuum. He'd need an umbilical to augment the sublimator. Once low earth vacuum was reached the sublimator could be turned on but that would probably result in an immediate loss of vacuum. I doubt this test can be done in a vacuum chamber on Earth. If they wanted to simulate real moon surface conditions, they'd have to illuminate the spacesuit with enough light that on the moon brings the surface temperature up to about 240 degrees F.
Raul Blanco at NASA's Johnson Space Center, a salt of the Earth sounding guy, assured me they test the spacesuits with sublimators in vacuum chambers regularly. He also assured me there's nothing classified about a spacesuit or it's cooling system.

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2015, 01:06:04 AM »

Many tests of the sublimator process have already been conducted under the supervision of qualified engineers.  You have no problem calling all of them liars, so explain why you would suddenly respect the engineers observing new tests.

Allegedly.
Nobody has called anyone a liar.
Please behave.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2015, 01:10:08 AM »
No. They could not have. The Russians had specifically designed sample return probes, three of which were successful, and they returned, wait for it, a grand total of 326 grams,and that was a regolith core sample. Apollo collected orders of magnitude more lunar material, practically 1000 times . Heck, there is rocks from Apollo that weigh more than that individually.
Besides, the Surveyor probes were designed to land on the moon. They had no capacity to return to Earth on their own, let alone with many kilograms of lunar samples each. This would be an even greater undertaking, and, again, I have to ask you who did it and what evidence you have for this.
(In light of Neil's reply)
Ever heard of an airlock? He wouldn't have to spend the whole 12 hours in the machine waiting for it to be evacuated. And if you look at the pictures, yes, there is indeed lights to simulate the lunar tempereture conditions, though, if you look up the sun angles, it never got noon time hot while the astronauts would have been there, if you do the math.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2015, 01:10:18 AM »
I doubt this test can be done in a vacuum chamber on Earth.

Your personal doubts are not probative.

If they wanted to simulate real moon surface conditions, they'd have to illuminate the spacesuit with enough light that on the moon brings the surface temperature up to about 240 degrees F.

Which was done in Earth orbit.  Sublimator operation is only loosely coupled to crew safety while wearing the EMU.  Hence that mode of testing is available following vacuum test chamber validation.

Raul Blanco at NASA's Johnson Space Center, a salt of the Earth sounding guy...

Whom you have no problem calling a liar.

He also assured me there's nothing classified about a spacesuit or it's cooling system.

That doesn't mean you're entitled to the information you demand, via the way you demand it.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2015, 01:13:08 AM »
Allegedly.
Nobody has called anyone a liar.

Contradiction on its face.  I have asked you several times if any part of your argument is not either bare denial or speculation.  Are you prepared to give me an answer?

Please behave.

You're in no position to lecture people on the propriety of behavior.

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »

Whom you have no problem calling a liar.

No, I said he reneged on a promise. Liar is your word. Again, please behave.

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2015, 01:18:42 AM »
No, I said he reneged on a promise. Liar is your word. Again, please behave.
He says that they regularly test sublimators in vacuum chambers and they work, you are contending that sublimators do not work in vacuum, therefore you saying that he is telling a lie which would make him a liar.
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2015, 01:24:38 AM »
No, I said he reneged on a promise. Liar is your word.

Blanco claims sublimators are routinely tested in vacuum chambers.  You claim such a test would be impossible, or at best fruitless.  Explain how you can claim the latter without accusing Blanco of lying.

Again, please behave.

You are a violent felon.  Do not lecture me on the propriety of behavior.  You are also accusing a number of people of fraud with evidence you admit is no stronger than speculation.  You do not stand on the moral high ground here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:29:11 AM by JayUtah »

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:01 AM »
NASA allegedly sent five lunar orbiters in 66 and 67 and they took photos of the Earth from moon orbit. Why didn't they release them to the public in 1966? Were they holding them so they could say the astronauts faking the Apollo 8 mission took them in 1968?

The lunar orbiter photos don't look anything like those taken during Apollo 8.  Photos from lunar orbiter were developed on board the spacecraft, scanned, and transmitted to Earth.  The process left telltale artifacts in the photos the are absent from the Apollo 8 photos.  Furthermore, I have a book published in 1968 that includes lunar orbiter photos.  This was before Apollo 8's fight in late December of that year.

The NASA lunar surveyor program allegedly sent seven landers to the moon between 1966 and 1968. Could they have been used to retrieve rocks robotically so it could be claimed later that astronauts gathered them?

The lunar surveyor payloads weren't large enough to carry the capability to return 382 kilograms of lunar samples.  Also the diversity of the samples defy the premise that they were just scooped up in the immediate vicinity of a lander.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2015, 02:05:24 AM »
...Neil Baker, I'd be grateful if you could respond to this email from page 5 of the thread.

Thank you.

I don't know about rocks. But I will say this. I was ten years old when the Apollo 8 Christmas mission took place. It was spectacular. The first ever photos were taken of the Earth from the orbit of the moon or so I thought. I wonder if you had to be alive then to understand how radical those photos were. In my memory, Apollo 8 was more exciting than Apollo 11. They were the first to get close. There had been nothing like it. But there had. NASA allegedly sent five lunar orbiters in 66 and 67 and they took photos of the Earth from moon orbit. Why didn't they release them to the public in 1966? Were they holding them so they could say the astronauts faking the Apollo 8 mission took them in 1968?

According to this article (http://www.space.com/12707-earth-photo-moon-nasa-lunar-orbiter-1-anniversary.html) the images were released at the time.

"NASA took the image and they created a poster of it which was given as gifts to everybody," said Friedlander. "Senators and congressmen would give it out as presents to constituents and visiting dignitaries."

The Lunar Orbiter photos were black and white. Apollo 8 produced colour photos of the Earth. NASA would hardly distribute B&W photos from Lunar Orbiter when colour Apollo 8 photos were available, so the statement quoted above must mean the photos were distributed before Apollo 8.

The NASA lunar surveyor program allegedly sent seven landers to the moon between 1966 and 1968. Could they have been used to retrieve rocks robotically so it could be claimed later that astronauts gathered them?

Let's do the maths. The Apollo rocks total ~380 kilograms. With seven landers that would require each to return an average of about 55 kilograms of material. Now, the Surveyor spacecraft were launched using Atlas rockets. Perhaps you might like to calculate whether an Atlas rocket could launch a spacecraft large enough to itself launch 55 kilograms of material off the surface of the Moon in a container which could itself survive re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.

For comparison, we know the Soviets brought back ~400 grams of material on three sample return missions. In other words, enough to fill a can of soup - in three missions. And you're suggesting NASA could return nearly a thousand times the mass on seven spacecraft. NASA might be good, but I don't think they're that good.

In any case, to repeat what I said in my original post:
We know they're not Moon rocks collected by unmanned sample retriever missions. The Apollo rocks include quite a few rocks weighing more than a kilogram each, as well as core samples up to two metres long, and also clods of lunar soil. There is no evidence that NASA ever had the technology to build unmanned sample retriever spacecraft capable of collecting such samples; in fact there isn't even any evidence that these sorts of things could be done today, more than 40 years later. What we do have is photos of astronauts standing near rocks which now sit in storage facilities.

In other words, there's no record of anyone designing, building or operating these legendary unmanned sample retriever spacecraft.

Yes, it's pure speculation but if it's all a hoax, would they have gone to such a length to make the hoax convincing? If it's a hoax, it wouldn't be surprising that black ops came into play at some time during the prelude to the alleged landings.

Black ops might be good for doing stuff in secret. But it doesn't mean they can break the laws of physics or suddenly invent technology decades ahead of what is otherwise available.

Even if it turns out that it was hoax, what a spectacular hoax! Legendary!

And if it's real, what does that say about American technology and can-do attitude, and the bravery and skill of those who were involved? (Just for the record, I'm Australian, so I feel no patriotic loyalty to the USA.)

Taguba and Fallon are recommended due to their gravitas and exemplary integrity at a time when it's apparent that it's extremely rare. 
They are well educated and I'm confident they would be capable of quickly acquiring the requisite knowledge to understand what they needed to observe.  Besides, it's expected that one or more other independent witnesses with engineering backgrounds would be present.

And if Taguba and Fallon attest to the reality of the sublimator system will you accept what they say, or will you shift position again and suggest the government got to them?

In any case, if the sublimator system can't possibly work, why didn't the Soviets say something back in 1969? Or are you skeptical of the reality of the Cold War too?
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2015, 02:11:53 AM »

I don't know about rocks. But I will say this. I was ten years old when the Apollo 8 Christmas mission took place. It was spectacular. The first ever photos were taken of the Earth from the orbit of the moon or so I thought. I wonder if you had to be alive then to understand how radical those photos were. In my memory, Apollo 8 was more exciting than Apollo 11. They were the first to get close. There had been nothing like it. But there had. NASA allegedly sent five lunar orbiters in 66 and 67 and they took photos of the Earth from moon orbit. Why didn't they release them to the public in 1966? Were they holding them so they could say the astronauts faking the Apollo 8 mission took them in 1968? 

Oh really? Google fail again:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lunar-Orbiter-Photographs-Earth-and-Moon-Kodak-1966-/380538883694?hash=item5899e28e6e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-Boeing-NASA-Lunar-Orbiter-Spacecraft-moon-surface-photos-vintage-print-Ad-/361370647308?hash=item54235e7b0c

The photos of Earth were released and they were released before Apollo 8. The entire collection of Lunar Orbiter images was made public before Apollo finished - I have an original copy of the book.

The published images do not contain the level of detail shown in Apollo images or more recent probes launched by the US, China and India, particularly of the landing areas covered by the later Apollo missions as the photography for those was done by other Apollo missions.

What you don't appear to realise is that the photos, 16mm and live TV images of Earth from every Apollo mission (every single one of them) contain a unique meteorological fingerprint that is time and date specific, and that meteorology is exactly matched by the available meteorological satellite record. The configuration of Earth in the lunar sky and its terminator is also an exact match for what should be there as predicted by astronomical software.

Word to the wise: if you're going to try and invent stuff to cover your backside, probably best not to do it in front of people who know waaaaaay more about it than you.

Yes they did, and no they couldn't.

Again, the Surveyor images show details matched by modern probes. If you think they could provide a return sample, show us how. Especxially the bit where they have the launch capability to get back to Earth. I have the original reports, published before Apollo, they happened.

Yes, it's pure speculation

For once you got it right.

No - you picked them because you think they share your values and because they have been critical of aspects of US foreign policy that you also criticise. Don't insult our intelligence by claiming you believe them to be neutral.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:18:19 AM by onebigmonkey »

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2015, 02:21:05 AM »
Let's do the maths. The Apollo rocks total ~380 kilograms. With seven landers that would require each to return an average of about 55 kilograms of material. Now, the Surveyor spacecraft were launched using Atlas rockets. Perhaps you might like to calculate whether an Atlas rocket could launch a spacecraft large enough to itself launch 55 kilograms of material off the surface of the Moon in a container which could itself survive re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.

For comparison, we know the Soviets brought back ~400 grams of material on three sample return missions. In other words, enough to fill a can of soup - in three missions. And you're suggesting NASA could return nearly a thousand times the mass on seven spacecraft. NASA might be good, but I don't think they're that good.

The entire Surveyor spacecraft had a launch mass of about 1000 kg, which was near the limit of what the Atlas-Centaur launch vehicle could deliver to the moon.  It's mathematically impossible to land on the moon and return to Earth 55 kg of samples with a craft that small.

The Soviet landers that returned about 100 grams of material each had a launch mass of 5600 kg.  They were also launched on Proton rockets, which are 5 times more massive than the Atlas-Centaur.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2015, 02:24:26 AM »
Here's two more examples of Lunar Orbiter photos released before Apollo 8.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2015, 02:24:35 AM »
1966 press conference: