Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 471059 times)

Offline sts60

• Mars
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »
Hello, Neil.  Welcome to the board, belatedly.

My contention is that most of the NASA space program is probably a hoax. I say "probably" because I don't know. But neither does anyone else ...

No.  You speak for yourself, but not for me and others.  Please understand, this is a very common conspiracist tactic, to insinuate that we are all helpless to understand the record in detail, but it will gain you no traction here.

I work in this field, including for and with Apollo engineers and Apollo-era astronauts.  I've worked in the backrooms at Mission Control, in the processing and launch facilities at the Cape and KSC, and other NASA facilities.  I've personally performed integration tests aboard the Shuttle with a spacecraft I helped build, and operated that vehicle after it was deployed by the Shuttle.  (By the way, we also tracked our own vehicle with our own S-band antenna at our own facility.)  In short, I have the relevant education and experience to evaluate much of the record for myself. 

...I was confronted with the difficult question, "How do we PROVE we went to the moon?"

Well, you could take the time to learn something about the subject, ask meaningful questions, listen to the answers, and take more time to really dig into the historical, management, technical, and scientific record.  But that will take some effort, and a willingness to admit there's more to it than you have said.  Are you game?

...Could be fake... Could be lies. Launches?  ...Did they really...? Do they really...? Did they really...? ...I don't know... I don't know...

Waving your hands and saying that something "could be" is meaningless; it's simply an appeal to personal doubt.  In order to support your claims, you need to show why things had to be faked, how it was faked, and show some evidence of the actual massive effort required to fake it all.  You also need to explain how all of this has fooled the scientific and engineering communities worldwide for lo these many years. 

But you have done none of that, and don't seem to understand the scale or type of information that is available, let alone the information itself.  That leaves you with your original appeal to ignorance.  OK, fine, you don't know, but that's your choice; there's a cornucopia of really good material to review and people willing to help you, should you decided to learn something.

But then I stumbled upon the spacesuit ice sublimators... the clever and exotic technique of using nickel porous plate ice sublimators...

It is clever.  It was exotic half a century ago when it was first developed.  It's merely standard practice now.

Naturally, I wanted to learn more. What does a spacesuit sublimator look like? Specifications? Procedures? Video of one being tested? Photographs? Technical discussions in heat transfer or thermodynamics books? I searched. Strangely and absurdly, I found almost nothing. I received almost nothing.

That's funny.  I was able to find all that stuff, except video (which I didn't bother looking for, but other people have dug up), with very little effort.  I didn't even need to go to a technical library or anything.

...Absurdly, there were no photographs.

Wrong.

Absurdly, there was no video of spacesuits with ice sublimators being tested.

Largely irrelevant, but wrong.

Most absurdly, there was no information in any academic-level heat transfer or thermodynamics books.

Wrong.

Absurdly, the alleged manufacturer, Hamilton Sunstrand [sic] of United Technologies would only release very elementary information.

Why is this absurd?  Should they provide detailed information on their designs to every random layman who attempts to pester them over a general email or phone?  What if the design information is proprietary, or export controlled - which are both very common in the industry?  Are you a credible potential customer, or just another random crank accosting a high-technology organization?

Absurdly, NASA's Johnson Space Center refused to provide video or photos and stonewalled me instead.

Why is this absurd?  You can look up such items yourself online, or you could actually go to a technical library. What exactly do you mean by "stonewalled"?  Who exactly did you talk to?  What was their job?  Is doing your homework for you in-scope for them, or did you provide a charge number?

Absurdly, the Rice University Department of Mechanical Engineering, most closely associated with Houston's Johnson Space Center refused to comment.

I went to Rice.  Why do you think the ME department currently has any significant involvement with PLSS subsystems?  Amusingly enough, Rice did work on sublimator research back during Apollo, and I found a nice long report from the '60s with diagrams and pictures and thermodynamics and everything with a very simple NTRS search.  You said there was no such thing; why did you say that?

And when you say "refused to comment", what exactly do you mean?  You are not the first hoax believer who says, "I talked to [name of large institution] and they wouldn't answer me!"  Given that you are patently unfamiliar with the topic, I do not accept your characterizations ("absurd", "stonewalled", "refused to talk") without explicit justification.  Loaded language may impress other ignorant laymen sympathetic to conspiracy "theories", but here it is readily seen as a flimsy and transparent bid to bypass critical examination of your claims.

Absurdly, my Congressional representatives in two states, California's and Washington's Feinstein, Boxer, Cantwell, Murray, Capps and Hastings, stonewalled me also when I requested their assistance acquiring accountability from NASA.

1. This may be the funniest entry of all.  You tried to ask Congressmen (well, some first-line staffers) about an obscure technical topic?  How many of them do you think could even define sublimation?

2. You might be a resident of one state or another for voting purposes, but not both.  Therefore, they are not all "your representatives".  One would think, since you have implied by your list that you are some sort of diligent researcher, that you would have established this by now.

But voila! The good news was that I had stumbled upon the way to PROVE whether the NASA space program was a hoax. The lack of information and evasion regarding spacesuits with sublimators represents a huge anomaly upon which attention should be focused.

There is no lack of information regarding sublimators used in space.  You simply were incapable of finding it or understanding it.  Other people have found it easily.  Nor is the amount of information available over the Internet out of line with what one expects to find on such topics, at least to someone who understands the subject.  Therefore, your assertion of an "anomaly" fails due to subversion of support.

NASA must publicly demonstrate, before independent witnesses,...

You are just the latest in a long line of conspiracists who wave around some MacGuffin they think they've uncovered and demand that NASA "prove" this or that.  Invariably - and this includes you - such persons do not understand the systems, are unfamiliar with the record, and can provide no technical justification or cost-benefit analysis to back up their demands. 

Moreover, you cannot account for the routine use of such systems over the past half-century, other than to wave your arms about how somehow - you can't explain how - it's all a big fake, and nobody really knows anything.  Nope. Sorry.  I've worked with astronauts who have done EVAs, including working on the Hubble telescope you also suggested was faked.  You simply don't know what you're talking about, and you don't get taxpayer funds to satisfy your ignorance.

retired Army General Antonio Taguba, retired Navy Admiral William Fallon and me.

1. Have either General Taguba or Admiral Fallon agreed to this exercise? Are they, in fact, even aware of your existence?  (Restraining orders don't count.)

2. Do either of them have them have any experience in thermodynamics, PLSS technology, or vacuum systems?  (Clearly, you don't.)  If not, why would they be of any use in such a test?

3. You are manifestly not independent, therefore you are excused from the test.  Thank you for your interest.

Please demand NASA accountability...

That's part of my job as a NASA contractor, just as it is NASA's, and my company's, job to demand accountability from me.  Please do not presume to lecture us about "accountability", when you have no idea at all what you're talking about.

That last part, though, is your choice.  Would you rather believe in a hoax at all costs, or would you like to actually learn something?  If the latter, you have a pretty good free resource in the regulars on this board.  It's up to you.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
I'm curious, please list all/any of your qualifications to judge how sublimation PLSS work

I thought he asked if I was qualified to understand how a vacuum system works.

The answer to that is "no".  The word salad you posted in reply 84 merely confirms this.

[Edited to add: no one with the resume linked by mako88b has any business posting such nonsense.  If that is actually the resume of the poster here, I can only offer my sympathy, because something - I won't speculate what - has clearly gone seriously awry.]

Please don't try to bluff here; it won't work.  For example, I was a graduate student and researcher in a vacuum materials science laboratory.  I've also participated in spacecraft thermal/vacuum testing in Chamber B.  Feel free to Google that up too.

As far as how a PLSS works, I've probably read most of the same propaganda as you.

Nope.  You didnt even know the information existed until everybody else served it up for you.

I'll ask again: do you want to stubbornly cling to your beliefs, or do you actually want to learn something?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:11:52 PM by sts60 »

Offline Neil Baker

• Earth
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »
I think Baker legitimately believed the ISBN was meant to refer to the book found at the link.  It does not; they are two separate books.

Thank you. I was confused. I found the book and I have scanned the Table of Contents and I don't see the part about a spacesuit ice sublimator or anything about sublimation in general. I don't really want to scan the whole book. Is it there or not? I concede, you're much better at Internet searching than I am.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2015, 03:49:27 PM »
Is it my imagination, or do an increasing number of HBs believe that all manned (and sometimes even all unmanned) space flights are fake?

I think it's a natural progression. Once you start with the premise "Everything everyone tells me is a lie (except for crackpots, scammers and the generally ignorant, who are entirely to be trusted without the slightest proof)," why should Apollo be singled out?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2015, 03:51:22 PM »
I don't really want to scan the whole book.

Irrelevant.  It was your assertion that none of the expected texts mentions porous plate sublimators.  If you haven't already read them, your assertion is dismissed.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »
For independent witnesses I recommend retired Army General Antonio Taguba, retired Navy Admiral William Fallon and me.

First of all, you are the one putting forward the proposition. You are in no way an "independent" witness. It would be like a prosecutor also sitting on the jury, claiming to be able to impartially judge his claims when outside the jury box.

Second, you seem to have great faith in military people. If these two men said "Yep, sublimators work as advertised," would you accept that, or believe that they had been compromised due to their association with the government? If you would believe them if they disagreed with you, why are these men different than the thousands who worked on the space program?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »
I don't really want to scan the whole book. Is it there or not?

You don't want to find the information. Excuse me, but you demand high standards of others and the good people here have delivered information you claim does not exist, then you tell us you don't want to do the research yourself. To add insult to injury, you changed horses in the face of evidence provided, making some flimsy excuse that it only appeared after you raised concerns.

I concede, you're much better at Internet searching than I am.

It takes more than internet searching to have the body of knowledge demonstrated by the individuals at this board. We all bring something to the party, and it's based on a deep understanding of our professional fields and the research skills we possess. You on the other hand assume you have achieved erudition by Google, and now freely admit that you cannot be bothered to carry out your own research. This might explain why you failed in the quest to find information about the PLSS in the first instance.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »

Second, you seem to have great faith in military people. If these two men said "Yep, sublimators work as advertised," would you accept that, or believe that they had been compromised due to their association with the government? If you would believe them if they disagreed with you, why are these men different than the thousands who worked on the space program?

They're a specific type of military person. Google their names, you'll see why he wants them.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
It was a few months ago, I believe, when someone pointed out that NASA would likely never allow someone arrested for bomb threats into near any of their facilities.

As capital, critical assets, NASA vacuum test chambers have armed guards.  Further, Baker's experience with law enforcement might provide the world with a different reason why NASA ignores him.

So Neil. Now that you know there's know way in hell you will ever knowingly be allowed near a NASA vacuum test facility, how does this affect you in your pursuit of your version of the truth?

You never did answer me about if your actions that led to your arrest in 2010 were justifiable?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2015, 04:00:58 PM »
Only until recently after my agitation could a photograph of a spacesuit ice sublimator be seen on the Internet.

No. That photograph has been available on the internet since 2005...

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/03_Historical/apollo_rebreathers.htm

(Note the last update on that webpage, Sept 14, 2005).

Scroll down and you'll see the photo about 9 or 10 photos down

Additionally, this cutaway example of a PLSS...

... has been on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum since 1974 when it was transferred there from NASA's Johnson Space Flight Centre. The sublimator is right there between the Oxygen Purge System and the horizontal electrical tagboard with the  "Life Support System" label on it

I can only conclude that you have been intentionally blind and ignorant... which does not surprise me in the least given your track record of wilful ignorance.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »

They're a specific type of military person. Google their names, you'll see why he wants them.
The old whistle blowers!
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »

You never did answer me about if your actions that led to your arrest in 2010 were justifiable?
BaHaHa you want a criminal to admit wrong doing?  Didn't you realize that everyone in prison is innocent
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »
I think Baker legitimately believed the ISBN was meant to refer to the book found at the link.  It does not; they are two separate books.

Thank you. I was confused. I found the book and I have scanned the Table of Contents and I don't see the part about a spacesuit ice sublimator or anything about sublimation in general. I don't really want to scan the whole book. Is it there or not? I concede, you're much better at Internet searching than I am.
A rubber duck is better at searching the internet than you. You couldn't even find a reference that has been in the very same place on the internet since 1997, for pete's sake. To which one might add your bizarre expectation that ALL data must be on the internet else it does not exist. Whence you derive such a notion is anyone's guess, but derive it you have. This begs the question: How do you suppose any research occurred before the internet?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
A rubber duck is better at searching the internet than you. You couldn't even find a reference that has been in the very same place on the internet since 1997, for pete's sake. To which one might add your bizarre expectation that ALL data must be on the internet else it does not exist. Whence you derive such a notion is anyone's guess, but derive it you have. This begs the question: How do you suppose any research occurred before the internet?
What do you mean, "Go to the library and thumb through index cards to find several references?" :)
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »

BaHaHa you want a criminal to admit wrong doing?  Didn't you realize that everyone in prison is innocent

Yes, your right. Very silly of me. However, I sure would like to hear from Neil why he felt a bomb threat seemed like a reasonable course of action to him.