Author Topic: Stars in the sky  (Read 21457 times)

Offline darren r

• Earth
Stars in the sky
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
As I understand it, HB's believe that there are no stars in the photographs because NASA couldn't figure out which ones would be visible (and didn't know anyone who could).

However, given that there are some photos that have stars in them, do any of them show recognisable constellations, further hammering the nails in the coffin?

I did try to Google this, but I couldn't find an answer, so I figured you guys would know.

Incidentally, while searching for an answer, I stumbled across an HB blog, which listed all the usual tired old reasons why it was a hoax. But there was also this gem :

5. The Moon landings took place during the Cold War. Why didn't America make a signal on the moon that could be seen from earth? The PR would have been phenomenal and it could have been easily done with magnesium flares.

They could have painted a big smiley face while they were at it.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
Re: Stars in the sky
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
I guess hoax believers are unaware of the existence of planetariums.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:41:43 AM »
They ones that spring to my mind are the UV shots from A16:

The Large Magellanic Cloud:

Cygnus:

Fornax:
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
Additionally proving, btw, that the photos were not faked on earth, at least not from anywhere in the United States. The Large Magellanic Cloud is only visible from the southern hemisphere.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »
Additionally proving, btw, that the photos were not faked on earth, at least not from anywhere in the United States. The Large Magellanic Cloud is only visible from the southern hemisphere.

Plus the fact that they were taken in UV wavelengths that are blocked by the Earth's atmosphere.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »
Magnesium flares. That takes me back. I think we raised how practical it is to use magnesium flares without an atmosphere.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
I guess hoax believers are unaware of the existence of planetariums.

I recall Jay taking on an HBer once, by asking, "OK, I have a can of paint right here. Why can't I put in the stars? If someone on earth could tell they're wrong, there must be some way to calculate that they're right. What's stopping me from doing that?"

There was never any real answer to that, as I recall. Just that "any earth astronomer or amateur with a telescope would see the stars are wrong, if NASA tried to put them in."

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

The LMC is visible to anyone who is south of 20° North at some time of the year. Let's not give the 'Nibiru is only visible from the south pole' crowd any ammo.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:06:09 AM »
Well, that excludes all of the United States except for most of the big island of Hawaii. And only at certain times of the year, as you say.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:09:02 AM by ka9q »

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
Here's a Apollo 14 pic where a star is visible.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/AS14-64-9057.jpg

NASA have started retrospectively adding stars to the Apollo pics, I expect  ;D
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »

Is that in fact definitely a star?

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »

Is that in fact definitely a star?

I thought it was? I could be wrong.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
It could easily be a speck of dust on the negative, or a defect in the scanning process.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
It could easily be a speck of dust on the negative, or a defect in the scanning process.

I thought there weren't any negatives; that they used transparency film, in which case, a speck of dust would be black (just like the two specks directly below the "star" just above the hills),  not white.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:21:41 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: Stars in the sky
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »

I thought there weren't any negatives; that they used transparency film, in which case, a speck of dust would be black (just like the two specks directly below the "star" just above the hills),  not white.

The colour was transparency. The black & white was negative.