Author Topic: Passing of MID  (Read 7984 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Passing of MID
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
For anyone that knew him:

With great regret, Waspie Dwarf over at UM has advised that UM member MID passed away on 7 Jan 2013. MID was a wealth of information, a gentleman who struck fear into any HB with his logic and knowledge. He will be sorely missed.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=241085
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:27:47 PM by Obviousman »

Offline RAF

• Mars
Re: Passing of MID
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
Words can not convey my sorrow at this news...his posts were always insightful and informative.

This sucks...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:11:33 PM by RAF »

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
I never visited UM. Could you link to a thread by MID for an example of his style?

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:36 AM »
What a loss.  We are diminished.  :(
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »
I never visited UM. Could you link to a thread by MID for an example of his style?
He was a regular in the consolidated Apollo Hoax thread.

(It's where Turbonium hangs out these days.)
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227095Long running Apollo hoax thread in it's third incarnation, the previous two being archived. IIRC the main hoax proponent was user Turbonium and I think he was a member of the old board under the same name, but I could be wrong.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »
For anyone that knew him:

With great regret, Waspie Dwarf over at UM has advised that UM member MID passed away on 7 Jan 2013. MID was a wealth of information, a gentleman who struck fear into any HB with his logic and knowledge. He will be sorely missed.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=241085
I had an account over there, but I am damned if I can remember my user name let alone my password. Be so kind as to pass on my condolences. I always liked his posts.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227095Long running Apollo hoax thread in it's third incarnation, the previous two being archived. IIRC the main hoax proponent was user Turbonium and I think he was a member of the old board under the same name, but I could be wrong.

Thanks. Judging from a brief, casual browsing of his posts he will missed.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »
I tried to look him up, but user profiles are blocked to non-members.  Too bad.  It looks like he fought the good fight with knowledge and style. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:43:08 PM »
I think a good way to describe him might be to say he was the Jay Utah of UM.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
I won't repeat my sentiments in detail here, but I posted thusly at UM..  MID was a passionate defender of the space program and science behind it and called it as he saw it when dealing with ignorance.

As for being a Jay, though.. well..  I did note MID had some .. er.. unconventional opinions on some other conspiracies, eg JFK..  But his posts on every topic were always interesting and entertaining, his knowledge of Apollo and mission control was not only immense but also gained from personal experience - and his demolitions of AH'ers were exemplary and well worthy of comparison with Jay's best.

Offline Waspie_Dwarf

• Mercury
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »
MID had been ill for a little while and hadn't posted at UM for a few months as a result.

I will miss his wisdom hugely but his personality more.
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
Here is one of MID's gems, perfectly worded in regard to the Apollo "hoax":

It may be that there will always be those who know nothing, believe too much nonsense, and who thus try to discredit the extraordinary.

It's unfortunate, but typical.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227095&st=15#entry4296903
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:59:53 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)