Author Topic: Heiwa's Saturn V schematic  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Heiwa's Saturn V schematic
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
Since Heiwa seems to have been getting all his information from one schematic diagram of the Saturn V, does anyone know the origin of that schematic? It is on p405 of Stages to Saturn, but I have seen it in other places. It is an oddity because it seems to be the only widely reproduced source that gives the designation 'P 22K S' to the SPS engine. It also has some odd fuel loads in litres which don't seem to add up to other listed fuel loads.

Has anyone been able to pinpoint the origin of this diagram?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
Re: Heiwa's Saturn V schematic
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
By "the origin of that schematic", do you mean where the author of Stages to Saturn got it? Isn't there an acknowledgement or something somewhere in the book? I tried to look for it in the digitized copy, but I didn't have any luck.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »
I had a look but couldn't find any. I guess there is somewhere but the book is rather long...
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
Some potential candidates from the "Sources and Research Material" section:
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4206/sources.htm

Edgar M. Cortright, ed., Apollo Expeditions to the Moon (Washington, 1975) (I'm looking through this one)
Jane Van Nimmen, Leonard C. Bruno, and Robert L. Rosholt, NASA Historical Data Book, 1958-1968, vol. I, NASA Resources, NASA SP-4012 (Washington, 1976) (I'm downloading this now)
NASA-MSFC, Saturn V News Reference (1968) (I bet on this one, if it is what I think it is - a "fact sheet" for journalists)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
I wonder how long he'd been searching for a source with errors that look absurd so he could do the classic HB thing of saying,
"hey, this absurd. Clearly it's all fake."

This is in contrast to the logical response of,
"hey, this is absurd. Their numbers must be wrong."