Author Topic: Flight crew vertigo sickness.  (Read 13423 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Flight crew vertigo sickness.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
Really? Since most of a ship's motion is in pitch, when I feel bad on a ship I go to the lowest accessible deck and walk fore and aft until I find the ship's center of mass. Then I hang out there until I feel better.

Even when our cabin is near the front of the ship so that the pitching motions are maximum, I've never felt particularly bad lying down with my eyes closed. It's walking that'll do it to you.

One drawback to the expensive cabins (other than the cost) is that they're usually on the top decks well above the ship's center of mass, meaning that they move more than the lower decks.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
Flight crew vertigo sickness.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
One of the things we will do to a student pilot who experiences air sickness is to make them take the controls. The act of having to fly the aircraft sometimes helps combat the symptoms.

Overall though, it is a mismatch between your vestibular system and your visual system*; your "balance" says one thing and your eyes say something else; the mismatch causes a problem with many people leading to "motion sickness".

(* That's why with seasickness you shouldn't go below decks and lie down. Your eyes say everything is normal but your balance says you are rocking)

Really? Since most of a ship's motion is in pitch, when I feel bad on a ship I go to the lowest accessible deck and walk fore and aft until I find the ship's center of mass. Then I hang out there until I feel better.

Even when our cabin is near the front of the ship so that the pitching motions are maximum, I've never felt particularly bad lying down with my eyes closed. It's walking that'll do it to you.

One drawback to the expensive cabins (other than the cost) is that they're usually on the top decks well above the ship's center of mass, meaning that they move more than the lower decks.

In aviation, as Obviousman pointed out, giving control to the student can help.  Also, having the victim of motion sickness look out at the horizon can help - I think ether act realigns how their vestibular system perceives the world (I've been lucky, in all of the instructing I do, none of my students, even when sitting passively while I set up unusual flight attitudes, has ever gotten sick).

As for ships, I think it depends on the nature of the motion.  One thing I'noticed, for example, is that in the dining rooms of Royal Carribean/Celibrity cruise ships is that the chandeliers are fixed to the ceiling (does one say "te overhead" when discussing a passenger ship?).  This obviously prevents them from swaying as the ship rocks, which might have unpleasant effects for some diners and their companions. 

One amusing incident a few years ago was when we were on a cruise with a group of friends.  The seas were a bit choppy the first evening out, and the ship's stabilizers couldn't damp it all out.  We were sitting at dinner and I noticed that the window shades were drawn, giving us views of fine art prints rather than panoramic views of the ocean.  As mentioned, the chandeliers were fixed to the ceiling.  Over dessert, one of our friends, a very nice lady, said "Wow, am I glad the water smoothed out - I hate it when it's rough.  Ever since I was kid boating with my family on Lake Michigan, it just made me seasick."

I said, "Didn't you notice they're not filling the coffee cups to the top?"

"So?"

"And take a careful look at the water in your glass.  See, it's still fairly rough out there.  You just can't tell."

"Ohhhhh....."

Y'know, it's the the only time my wife's ever really chewed me out while on a cruise....

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 04:51:24 AM »
Motion sickness is very individual, of course.

If I haven't been to sea for a while, then I'm green around the gills for the first day or two. I absolutely love "roughers" when  I'm in my rack and we are bow on to the sea with the ship having a pronounced pitching motion. After I have adjusted, I do like a little bit of roll; it's like being rocked to sleep. Of course, the funniest thing is when you go ashore again; the ground feels funny because it is not moving under your feet!

Surprisingly, I have sometimes felt car-sick if in the passenger seat.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »
You know, the good news is that once we get past those first few hours or days of queasiness, humans just have a remarkable ability to adapt to microgravity.

I saw a video on NASA TV a couple of weekends ago, a tour of the ISS done by Cmdr. Suni Williams shortly before she returned to Earth. I loved watching the way she maneuvered around in free fall, hooking a toe here or a finger there to control herself, obviously delighted to have "a really cool big space station to fly around in" as she put it.

There's also a look inside the (claustrophobic) Soyuz reentry module. Here's a look if anyone's interested:

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
I was just watching those videos yesterday, Noldi400. The tightness of the Soyuz even when Suni Williams wasn't in a spacesuit really caught my attention. When they are preparing for launch from Earth they can put on their spacesuits in a larger room with people assisting them. I don't know how they manage it aboard the ISS.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)