Off Topic > General Discussion

Work after COVID

(1/8) > >>

LionKing:
I have experienced a degree of freedom in work online from home that I think I can't let go after cpvid ends. I can sleep till I want, work when I want, the most important thing is to deliver on time and do the work as expected. What we were living before was slavery, unnecessary slavery, and out of l9ve of ourselves and respect of our freedom, I believe we as employees should lobby that the idea of sitting in an office should be optional. I think this should be negotiable when the employee has been productive in the online period. I understand that for some types of jobs this option might not be feasible. Maybe it can be feasible in some days in the week for others, but for those whose work can be delivered online, we should not go back to where we were. It is complete control of our lives that we should not be allowing to happen again.

Obviousman:
I have to disagree with you there. A lot of people PREFER to be in a normal workplace. The software developers I work with are a good indication: some of them hate working from home; they need the structure of the office and also prefer the environment. Others would like to WFH full time (as they are now). Some would like a balance of the two.

I can work remotely and have done so for some time.... but as soon as possible, I want back in the office. I need to interact / network with people, find out what is going on, etc (note I am a Defence contractor these days, so being in the office means being with my clients, not my co-workers). I'd like to mix and match it: a few days home, a few days work, etc.

I think that COVID-19 just accelerated something that was already in motion.... but I didn't consider going to my workplace as "slavery".

LionKing:

--- Quote from: Obviousman on September 02, 2021, 06:09:35 PM ---I have to disagree with you there. A lot of people PREFER to be in a normal workplace. The software developers I work with are a good indication: some of them hate working from home; they need the structure of the office and also prefer the environment. Others would like to WFH full time (as they are now). Some would like a balance of the two.

I can work remotely and have done so for some time.... but as soon as possible, I want back in the office. I need to interact / network with people, find out what is going on, etc (note I am a Defence contractor these days, so being in the office means being with my clients, not my co-workers). I'd like to mix and match it: a few days home, a few days work, etc.

I think that COVID-19 just accelerated something that was already in motion.... but I didn't consider going to my workplace as "slavery".

--- End quote ---
Hi obviousman. I think people are different. My boss used to come all this period too to office because he can concentrate more it seems. Others would want to interact more with people. However, for people like me who enjoyed working from home and found more freedom in that, and if things work in a good way and they are productive and not affecting the results, I don't find a reason to bring them back. I think everyone should be able to choose what he or she prefers as long as work is done.
Works are different. Sometimes you go all day to work and there is no real work because the job was submitted and you are waiting for answer or other reasons. For people who like to sleep in the morning and have some rest, or stay with their young children, it would be a better choice to work from home.

Zakalwe:

--- Quote from: LionKing on September 02, 2021, 05:24:33 AM ---I have experienced a degree of freedom in work online from home that I think I can't let go after cpvid ends. I can sleep till I want, work when I want, the most important thing is to deliver on time and do the work as expected. What we were living before was slavery, unnecessary slavery, and out of l9ve of ourselves and respect of our freedom, I believe we as employees should lobby that the idea of sitting in an office should be optional. I think this should be negotiable when the employee has been productive in the online period. I understand that for some types of jobs this option might not be feasible. Maybe it can be feasible in some days in the week for others, but for those whose work can be delivered online, we should not go back to where we were. It is complete control of our lives that we should not be allowing to happen again.

--- End quote ---

Melodramatic, much? You always have a choice in that you can choose to get a different job. I would suggest that if you have that choice then you are a long way away from anything resembling slavery.

Glom:

--- Quote from: Zakalwe on September 03, 2021, 06:20:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: LionKing on September 02, 2021, 05:24:33 AM ---I have experienced a degree of freedom in work online from home that I think I can't let go after cpvid ends. I can sleep till I want, work when I want, the most important thing is to deliver on time and do the work as expected. What we were living before was slavery, unnecessary slavery, and out of l9ve of ourselves and respect of our freedom, I believe we as employees should lobby that the idea of sitting in an office should be optional. I think this should be negotiable when the employee has been productive in the online period. I understand that for some types of jobs this option might not be feasible. Maybe it can be feasible in some days in the week for others, but for those whose work can be delivered online, we should not go back to where we were. It is complete control of our lives that we should not be allowing to happen again.

--- End quote ---

Melodramatic, much? You always have a choice in that you can choose to get a different job. I would suggest that if you have that choice then you are a long way away from anything resembling slavery.

--- End quote ---

Yes. That was very crass.

Even though I get along way better than most with solitude and have enjoyed my time at home, I think I would benefit from a more traditional work environment at this point. I gave problems maintaining focus and being away from personal distractions during work hours is helpful. Hence me posting here. I should try to get back to work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version