Off Topic > General Discussion

Richard Branson

(1/12) > >>

Jeff Raven:
So, what does everyone think of Richard Branson's flight today, as well as the 'controversy' of whether he (and others who take such a flight) should get credit for getting to space? I know that the line is somewhat arbitrary, and different groups (e.g.various U.S. organizations such as NASA, the FAA, Air Force vs. FAI) have different standards, and am curious what people's takes are on this?

Regardless of whether he "should" get credit, I think it's quite the accomplishment to have yet another private organization do what they have.

molesworth:
It was an impressive flight, and interesting technology, but I think it's fundamentally a dead end as far as spaceflight goes, and will never be more than a "tourist attraction".  (Not that there's anything wrong with encouraging tourism.)

Even with the announced future developments of the idea, they're not going to be able to reach orbit or launch payloads into LEO.  They might allow for an occasional science experiment in low or brief zero G, but that would need to be very well planned as it's such a brief opportunity per flight.

Overall, it's a fun idea, and as soon as I make my first million I'll think about buying a ticket  ;)

Peter B:

--- Quote from: Jeff Raven on July 11, 2021, 08:46:11 PM ---So, what does everyone think of Richard Branson's flight today, as well as the 'controversy' of whether he (and others who take such a flight) should get credit for getting to space? I know that the line is somewhat arbitrary, and different groups (e.g.various U.S. organizations such as NASA, the FAA, Air Force vs. FAI) have different standards, and am curious what people's takes are on this?

Regardless of whether he "should" get credit, I think it's quite the accomplishment to have yet another private organization do what they have.

--- End quote ---

Well, good for him. Private space travel is where aviation was a century ago. Eventually aviation developed to a point where it became available for everyone, and perhaps space travel might get there too.

I'm not as convinced as Molesworth that this technology is a dead end. I assume it'd be possible to sling a small unmanned rocket where the spacecraft hangs that could get into orbit. And the White Knight aircraft could be scaled up (isn't there that monster made of two 747 fuselages that's flown a couple of times?) to carry larger craft. Obviously, it's only going to happen if it's economical. It would be interesting to compare costs with SpaceX.

My concern is about the safety side of things. From what I've read other people in the industry were scathing of Branson after the accident a few years ago where a spacecraft was destroyed. I don't know whether the criticisms were valid or if the critics just didn't like their patch being invaded by a rich amateur; and if the former, whether the shortcomings have been addressed. I'll leave that to people in the know.

As for the altitude thing, that's a non-issue. As far as it matters to me, I prefer the 100km altitude. But if 50 miles is good enough for NASA, then fine, the crew get their astronaut wings.

PDI-11:
Regarding the question of "reaching space" and receiving astronaut wings, I think the answer is yes. They exceeded the altitude at which other people receive the recognition.

But I also think we are near the moment in time when "being an astronaut" is entirely different than it was years ago. With hundreds of tourist potentially reaching space each year, the meaning and excitement of being an "astronaut" will change. Previously, the government issues the astronaut wings because it was government employees (or the vast majority were) who were on the missions. I am fine with tourist receiving astronaut wings; they can be handed out by the service provider (Virgin Galactic, Blue Origin, or SpaceX).

jfb:
It may not open up space travel in terms of getting to or beyond orbit, but it may open up practical (for suitably loose definitions of the word) commercial suborbital travel - NY to LA in under an hour, say.  I don't think WK/SS2 is the path forward on that for a number of reasons, but Stratolaunch may be with the right passenger vehicle. 

If they crossed the Karman line, they should get the wings.  I personally would not refer to them as astronauts, because to me the term means something more than having flown to a certain altitude.  But as far as qualifying for astronaut wings, they've met the standard that's been in place for half a century. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version