Off Topic > Beyond Belief

The Roswell Slides, How too much of "I want to believe" can bite you in your a$$

(1/3) > >>

12oh2alarm:
Has anyone heard of this event earlier this year, on May 5 2015? It makes for a wonderful study of fakery and gullibility.

Abstract:

--- Quote ---The “Roswell Slides” are images that a group of UFO promoters – including Anthony Bragalia, Jaime Maussan, Adam Dew, Donald Schmitt, Tom Carey, and Richard Dolan – put forward at an event held on May 5, 2015, in Mexico City, as proof positive of an extraterrestrial crash at Roswell in 1947 and the recovery and cover-up by the US government of alien bodies. These are claims that most of the aforementioned group have been making for over two years now. They have repeatedly said that the best experts they could find were examining the slides, and that they had determined the slides showed a creature that was of unearthly origin.
--- End quote ---

Needless to say the claim did not stand up to scrutiny. But how it was determined to be something entirely different than claimed makes for a Sherlock Holmes story.
I don't want to spoil the fun, read it yourself here: http://www.roswellslides.com/the-roswell-slides/

bknight:
It boggles my mind to think of the Army and/or National Government, as with Apollo, to have kept a secret from the public for 70 years.  But then I'm a skeptics skeptic.

onebigmonkey:
It's quite astounding how gullible these people think their supporters are, and how much blind faith those supporters have.

bknight:

--- Quote from: onebigmonkey on August 24, 2015, 02:29:01 AM ---It's quite astounding how gullible these people think their supporters are, and how much blind faith those supporters have.

--- End quote ---
My editing of your post.

Wait isn't that an adverb used to describe Apollo believers?  ::)

sts60:

--- Quote from: bknight on August 23, 2015, 04:36:05 PM ---It boggles my mind to think of the Army and/or National Government, as with Apollo, to have kept a secret from the public for 70 years.  But then I'm a skeptics skeptic.

--- End quote ---
As Dave Barry put it:

It's not that I don't believe the government would try to hide dead aliens; it's that I don't think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do anything secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral. If there really were dead aliens, I figure, there also would be daily leaks about it from High-level Officials, and huge arguments among influential congresspersons over whose district the multimillion-dollar Federal Dead Alien Storage Facility would be located in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version