Off Topic > Beyond Belief

2012 maya calendar

<< < (2/22) > >>

gillianren:
A little bit, yes.

DataCable:

--- Quote from: gillianren on February 25, 2012, 01:47:54 PM ---A little bit, yes.

--- End quote ---
I see what you did there.

[ETA:

--- Quote from: LunarOrbit on February 25, 2012, 08:58:06 AM ---Ok, those kind of predictions are a bit scary, I'll give you that.

--- End quote ---
What you both did.]

Kiwi:

--- Quote from: gtvc on February 24, 2012, 09:51:39 PM ---...we saw 2 circular  halos around the sun with rainbows at the beginning of this month...
--- End quote ---

These are common in my area, 40 degrees south, whenever the upper air is particularly cold, such as when there are ice crystals and cirrus clouds, or passenger jets are making contrails.  The rainbow colours often occur at 22 degrees from the sun (the same as the halo) and sometimes there's another halo at 46 degrees.  The rainbow colours can also occur less than five degrees from the sun in small, whispy, lower clouds -- I'm not sure which, but possibly stratocumulus.

You can also see the halo effect around the moon at night.  These effects are nothing to worry about -- just two of many perfectly ordinary meteorological effects.

Not Myself:

--- Quote from: gillianren on February 24, 2012, 10:33:53 PM ---the calendar rolled over from 1999 to 2000 mostly without incident, albeit thanks to the help of a lot of computer tech types who made sure that what could go wrong with computers didn't.
--- End quote ---

A lot of people did Y2K compliance work, and the rollover was with only minor incidents.  It is frequently claimed that the first was the cause of the second.

gillianren:
Yes, that's what I'm saying. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version