Author Topic: Book Review/New Book!!  (Read 5302 times)

Offline TimberWolfAu

• Venus
Book Review/New Book!!
« on: October 06, 2023, 12:37:46 AM »
Had something turn up in the post today

Andy Saunders' Apollo Remastered

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Book Review/New Book!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 05:53:21 PM »
I just got my copy of Apollo Outfitters, about the design and development of the Apollo space suits. Looks very impressive at first glance.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline TimberWolfAu

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 07:49:03 AM »
Also ordered a copy of The NASA Archives. 60 Years in Space. 40th Ed, part of the package deal. Will see what it's like when it turns up but claims to have some concept sketches and such, which I love, seeing how designs change from original ideas to actual reality.

Oh.....and for the more conspiratorial tone, Apollo Remastered includes a copy of.............. the C-rock photo!!!! Alas, it's been cropped to only focus on the astronaut and the rover, so close  ;D A few have been cropped, to provide more focus on things like that, but there's also a few panorama's joined together, with at least one fold out I've found so far.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 06:08:01 PM »
"Never Panic Early" by Fred Haise. Excellent read with some aspects I hadn't known. Definitely recommended.

Also "Tough & Competent" by Gene Kranz. A look behind NASA management, and full of helpful information about being a leader.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 01:41:55 AM »
I just got my copy of Apollo Outfitters, about the design and development of the Apollo space suits. Looks very impressive at first glance.

Definitely a very good book

Offline TimberWolfAu

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 10:05:04 AM »
Speaking of books, had a hoax 'book' pop into my recommended (while ordering Outfitters, that looks interesting); Derek K Willis' Faking Apollo: Fifty Years of Secrecy.

I've seen a thread here where Derek got involved at one point, words were slung, feelings hurt and tails tucked, but I was wondering if anyone has looked at his 'work' yet? Looks like a $5 eBook, although the sample you can read just reminds me of Sibrels Moon Man, has the feel of a poor spy drama with the author in the main role.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 08:17:55 PM »

Is that 'Lunar Outfitters' that is available on Amazon?