Author Topic: Footage from Nixon broadcast  (Read 4464 times)

Offline mesonparticle

• Mercury
Footage from Nixon broadcast
« on: January 08, 2023, 08:40:07 AM »
In this original Super8 footage shot during the Nixon era from the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum we see some footage at 00:35 to 00:46. This is clearly just being played in the room whilst he’s preparing to speak to Neil and Buzz. It’s clearly recorded footage and it’s not Apollo 11.

Does anyone know where this footage is from or who is in it? The quality is poor but I’d love to identify the original footage or identify the astronauts.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Footage from Nixon broadcast
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 12:23:26 PM »
Could it be from the 1967 movie Countdown?

The way the camera moves to give us a view of the crew beyond the window looks cinematic. Plus I don't think the actual CM windows were big enough to give that clear a view inside from that distance.

Happy to be corrected, though.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »

I have wanted, and never found, that movie ever since I could buy DVDs, so can't help. But can exclude the 1969 movie Marooned with its bad acting and highly-variable special effects. The command module in Marooned doesn't have a window frame that protrudes as far from the surface of the CM at the end of the clip on Nixon's TV.

The clip certainly looks cinematic, right down to the second astronaut who has a hint of flesh colour in his face and looks a bit like he's standing, courtesy of gravity, beyond the first one. Note also the rather small, white docking mechanism at the front of the CM.
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 07:22:14 AM »

No, it's not from that movie. I watched it online and the command module was similar to NASA. No shots zooming in to interior.