Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other Conspiracy Theories / Re: COVID-19
« Last post by Trebor on Today at 04:50:00 AM »
Colin Powell's dead.  My immediate reaction to hearing his cause of death was, "They used that man up and then they killed him."

He's got the blood of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis on his hands. He knew exactly what he was doing when he lied and fabricated evidence to the UN.
...and Vietnamese.
Powell was in the unit that committed the Mỹ Lai massacre and helped cover it up.
« Last post by Zakalwe on October 18, 2021, 02:03:32 PM »
Colin Powell's dead.  My immediate reaction to hearing his cause of death was, "They used that man up and then they killed him."

He's got the blood of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis on his hands. He knew exactly what he was doing when he lied and fabricated evidence to the UN.
« Last post by gillianren on October 18, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »
The Reality of Apollo / Apollo 16 visor reflection at House Rock
« Last post by onebigmonkey on October 16, 2021, 11:31:39 AM »
I'm in the process of preparing a youtube thing on "things reflected in other things" in Apollo photos. OK so it's mostly Earth and it's mostly in visors.

Some are well known, some are ones I'm claiming ownership of (I believe found new examples in Apollo 17, Apollo 11 and 12 that I don't believe are recorded elsewhere).

Scouring through Apollo 16, both photos of John Young's jump salute seem to show Earth reflected in the visor, eg:

but what is intriguing me is what can be seen in Young's visor in AS16-106-17336, taken at Station 11, North Ray crater:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a16/AS16-106-17336HR.jpg

It's in all the versions I've seen, and here is a close up of the one at 'March to the Moon':

The bit I'm querying is the bright spot to the right of Duke.

It appears to be above the horizon, doesn't resemble any of the types of blemishes/artifacts sometimes found in Apollo images, and isn't anything reflected off the LRV, as this is some distance off behind Young and to his left - here's its view of the image being taken:

Young's shadow, and the washed out nature of the photo, confirms he is facing roughly east into the sun, so whatever is reflected in the visor is roughly west. Here's something that's roughly west:

What mitigates against this is we know that Duke is adamant that he never saw stars on the surface (I've heard him say it myself, and yes, I know it's not a star). However we also know that Venus is in Apollo 16 surface photos, so it's possible. I'm also not entirely convinced that Jupiter would, bright as it is and much as I want it to, produce such a large and obvious spot in the reflection.

Any suggestions as to what else it could be, or can I be carried shoulder high to rapturous applause?

General Discussion / Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Last post by gillianren on October 16, 2021, 11:20:20 AM »
It doesn't; it's a funny thing my kid said and therefore relevant to the thread as a whole.
General Discussion / Re: Kids say the darnedest things...
« Last post by bknight on October 16, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
As long as you explain it to him so that he understands your meaning, otherwise you are teaching him to ignore/disregard the schools' program.  That would be a very bad idea that might extend to disregarding any institutional directions including parental.

He has a legal right not to say the Pledge.

Of course he has the right as all citizens do, I have not insinuated otherwise.

Still, we've had several conversations about it and what it means, including actually going through it word-by-word and teaching him literally what things like "indivisible" even mean, which none of his classmates knew when we talked about it.  Or if they did, it wasn't from having it explained in class.  I'd also like him to tell me if he's uncomfortable with any other assignment he's given in class; you don't have to dig too deep to find stories of teachers who absolutely shouldn't be obeyed in certain assignments.

I watch a lot of Ask a Mortician on YouTube.  The other day, we saw an episode where she said, "Did you really think we were going to get through an Iconic Corpse without a 'seeecret embalming technique'?"  To which Zane responded, "We barely get through a normal episode without one of those."

Since I don't watch the series would you mind informing me as to what relevance the last paragraph has to do do with my initial question?
General Discussion / Re: Richard Branson
« Last post by Zakalwe on October 14, 2021, 12:25:47 PM »
Dude's 90 and he looks like someone in their late '60s.  He's going to live to be like 110 years old or something. 

I saw the short video BO released - after a couple of genuine "wow"s, he stayed glued to the window while everyone else was bouncing around. 

No, it's not orbit, but it's not nothing, either.

The conversation that he had with Bezos afterwards was very touching. You could see that he was moved to tears by the experience.
« Last post by jfb on October 14, 2021, 10:17:08 AM »
Dude's 90 and he looks like someone in their late '60s.  He's going to live to be like 110 years old or something. 

I saw the short video BO released - after a couple of genuine "wow"s, he stayed glued to the window while everyone else was bouncing around. 

No, it's not orbit, but it's not nothing, either. 
« Last post by molesworth on October 14, 2021, 06:27:57 AM »
Relax. He survived.

Yeah, but I would have been a lot happier about it if the ground crew had put on fake goatees (a la "Mirror, Mirror") for when he got back.  Or Planet of the Apes masks.  You can see where I'm going with this, I don't need to fill in the details.

There were a lot of fun images / memes posted before launch, e.g.

« Last post by JayUtah on October 13, 2021, 09:21:43 PM »
Relax. He survived.

Yeah, but I would have been a lot happier about it if the ground crew had put on fake goatees (a la "Mirror, Mirror") for when he got back.  Or Planet of the Apes masks.  You can see where I'm going with this, I don't need to fill in the details.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10