Author Topic: Am I abberant  (Read 16228 times)

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
Re: Am I abberant
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
Question for JohnButcher: Are you still under the misapprehension that this is a Moon Hoax believer site?

Sorry I've given that impression. I found this site when I was on Bad Astronomy and have always known AH is a debunker site. I have always known the Apollo landings were real. I am aware of AH's history but wasn't around when it started. On BA I was JohnB initially.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 01:51:34 AM »
It sometimes goes as far as to suggest that a Royal Navy submarine observed the Japanese carriers and was ordered to keep silent...

There is some credibility to Churchill wanting the then neutral USA in the war "by hook or by crook", even though the US was providing more assistance than a strict interpretation of neutrality (or indeed popular opinion) allowed - not least in finding the Bismarck...

The submarine thing I strongly doubt. But this is the first time I had heard about the Bismarck thing. Looked it up and the pilot of the aircraft that picked Bismarck back up after she slipped away was a serving USN officer. Thanks for the opportunity to learn.

You're welcome. I doubt the submarine thing too - communications back then weren't what they are now, not to mention the extreme unlikelihood of a British boat operating that far from Singapore...

Interesting, never realised that.
http://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/history/bisdiscovered.html   (excellent site BTW, if anyone has the time)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 02:04:12 AM »
The only reason the US went to war with Germany is that they declared war on us after we declared war on Japan.
You mean he declared war on us first. There was only one person making decisions in Germany at that time.

According to Shirer in The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich the average German wasn't at all happy about Hitler's declaration of war on the US. They didn't exactly say so in public, but the mood in Berlin was pretty glum.

I believe the wording on the treaty was such that Mr H did not have to declare if Japan attacked first, he was only obliged if Japan was attacked first.

I can imagine his Generals, "they attacked Pearl Harbour? Wow, that got us off the hook" then some minutes later "HE DID WHAT?"

If people want a conspiracy here, H was a plant (not a green one), he was our best secret weapon.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
It certainly doesn't take much delving to discover that he wasn't exactly a military genius, does it?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
Nein. I have mentioned elsewhere my theory that the reason no time traveller has killed Hitler is because he is the replacement for a competent, but still horrifically evil, Nazi dictator.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
Nah. They keep trying to kill Hitler but they always hit Eleanor Roosevelt by mistake.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:55 PM »
Impressive, given that she died during the Kennedy administration.  I don't think there was a grassy knoll in sight, either.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 10:26:25 PM »
In case you didn't get it, that was a Futurama reference. In the episode The Late Philip J. Fry, the Professor invents a "forward time machine". While they can't go back to their own time, they discover they can go forward far enough for the universe to start all over again. He stops the machine just long enough to shoot Hitler (which he does without a word), but overshoots their own time so they go around one more time. He tries to wing Hitler from the window but shoots Eleanor Roosevelt by mistake.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »
Best episode ever.

I particularly love how this episode which takes us to the end of the universe ends with a shot of Fry and Leela together on a romantic bridge with Bender underneath burying some bodies.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »
It certainly doesn't take much delving to discover that he wasn't exactly a military genius, does it?

Certainly does not take much delving. The error was allowing it to get as far as he did pre 39 but that was understandable after a fashion.

The Battle of the Atlantic could have been a winner. I suppose many others as well. Easy no looking back. Would have hated to have been making some of those decisions.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
Best episode ever.
Easily. So many great little tidbits, like the all-female society that prizes even old and stupid males, the Professor shooting Hitler (and then Eleanor Roosevelt), the talking birthday card, Leela's "message". All good stuff.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
My fave is still Luck of the Fryish. No 'Ha, ha, we made you feel!' moments, just a good character shaping moment for Fry. It was one of the better restart episodes though I felt, and it showed why Fry is a better person than Zap Brannigan. Unlike the latter, he tries to fix his mistakes, even when it costs him. The moment with him and the Professor at the end of time was also kind of special. Just a nice quiet moment.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:02 AM »
No statelite TV here so all I get is repeats, old ones. Still watch em though, until the funny bone says "Nah, fives times is enough"