Author Topic: Flu Home Remedies  (Read 29038 times)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
Re: Flu Home Remedies
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
we heard about those dying from Panadol.

Only from overdose - that's not the same thing at all!

Tea may be safer, but it is less effective at relieving symptoms.

to me I have felt better from tea and lemon, but mostly from sweating.
no rare reactions are not from overdose. this is what I am saying

You didn't say "rare reactions", you were referring to death.  I quoted you.

"Taking acetaminophen causes rare but potentially deadly skin reactions in some people, the Food and Drug Administration warned Thursday"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/08/01/208005942/acetaminophen-can-cause-rare-serious-skin-disorders-fda-warns
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »
direct me to the natural versus synthetic argument

There is no argument. It exists only in your head.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
direct me to the natural versus synthetic argument

There is no argument. It exists only in your head.
"there is no argument" would have sufficed.

i'm afraid not. put natural versus synthetic medicine and see what u get on google
And,  "there is no argument" would have sufficed. "it exists only in your head" is unnecessarily mean
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:59:35 PM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
i'm afraid not. put natural versus synthetic medicine and see what u get on google

Medicine is medicine. Your differentiation is just that- your differentiation.

As for something being on Google? So what? It's a search engine, not a qualitative measure of truth or accuracy. Search for "Moon landing" on Google...it will return plenty of hits about hoax beliefs. That does not make them any more real.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »

Medicine is medicine. Your differentiation is just that- your differentiation.

As for something being on Google? So what? It's a search engine, not a qualitative measure of truth or accuracy. Search for "Moon landing" on Google...it will return plenty of hits about hoax beliefs. That does not make them any more real.

I am not saying about right or wrong, but about its mere existence. that this argument exists is true, proven by the internet.
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »

The non-argument is not about natural vs synthetic medicine but the arbitrary distinction you and others make between natural and synthetic chemicals. A chemical is a chemical, whether found naturally or made in a lab. Labs exist that can synthesise amino acids and join them up to make peptides. They are no different at all to peptides found in nature. Similarly, the synthesised acetylsalicylic acid that is found in marketed aspirin pills is no different at all from the natural acetylsalicylic acid found in willow bark where it was originally found.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
we haven't heard about people dying from tea but we heard about those dying from Panadol. PERHAPS it is safer to go with tea

False dilemma. As I have said before, and maybe you'll eventually get it, you have heard about people dying in rare cases from Panadol precisely because it is a regulated marketed drug and such adverse reactions are required to be reported and listed, and because people do take overdoses and die from them. No such regulations exist for tea, or for herbal remedies, or for homeopathy, etc. That's the key difference: with marketed pharmaceuticals you have a record of their risks; with herbal remedies you don't. That doesn't mean herbal remedies are any safer just because their risks are not rigorously reported and documented.

I have not heard of any deaths associated with tea drinking either, but I have heard of people dying from water consumption. Should I conclude it is safer to drink tea than water on the basis of that?

"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »

The non-argument is not about natural vs synthetic medicine but the arbitrary distinction you and others make between natural and synthetic chemicals. A chemical is a chemical, whether found naturally or made in a lab. Labs exist that can synthesise amino acids and join them up to make peptides. They are no different at all to peptides found in nature. Similarly, the synthesised acetylsalicylic acid that is found in marketed aspirin pills is no different at all from the natural acetylsalicylic acid found in willow bark where it was originally found.

http://www.watchmojo.com/video/id/7811/

the argument, or the idea, EXISTS. Here they are saying like you say. this is different than the matter being debatable among people or no. he didn't need to say it exists only in my head..pheeww
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
That link does the opposite of backing up your position.  I'm confused as to what your point is now.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2014, 04:15:02 PM »
That link does the opposite of backing up your position.  I'm confused as to what your point is now.

I know. I am just saying that the debate exists and it is not just in my head.

OK as I have been reading, the chemicals are natural, but I am still interested in the common cold treatment between the commonly used home remedies , sweating and tea and lemon, versus the panadol which are truly less dangerous
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »
Well, only if by "debate" you mean
Person: "Synthetic chemicals are completely different in structure to their natural counterparts!"
Scientist (eg chemist): "No, they're not, they have exactly the same chemical structure.  Here, take a look.  See?"

"which are truly less dangerous" - I'm not sure any of us can say if that is true or not.  I'm not sure a study of Panadol v tea could ever be properly carried out, as I don't see how it could be made double-blind.  Panadol v placebo has certainly been done, though.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:21:52 PM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
There are too many variables to say one way is 'truly less dangerous' than another. Forcing yourself to sweat is dangerous in different ways from taking a pharmaceutical product with known side effects, and both are dependent on the individual circumstances.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
"Allow inflammation. The body reacts against viruses with inflammation and the result of inflammation is either directly toxic to the virus, or helps to physically expel virus from the body. For example, viruses are very temperature sensitive – for the body to run a fever is a good thing – fever kills viruses (and bacteria). A good snotty nose helps to wash out virus from the nose and a hacking cough blasts the bugs from the lungs. Symptoms may be uncomfortable but should be welcomed as an appropriate way to get rid of virus. This is why I hate to see symptom-suppressing cold remedies such as paracetamol, antihistamines, alcohol, decongestants, cough mixtures which interfere with the body\’s natural mechanisms of killing and expelling virus. SO DO NOT SUPPRESS SYMPTOMS – THEY ARE NATURE\’S WAY OF EXPELLING INFECTIONS. "

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Viral_infections_-_avoid_them_and_treat_them_aggressively

maybe we can make at the end of the debate a list of all the discussed with their pros and cons..
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
Please stop shouting.

Also, please note that some people cannot regulate their body temperature properly.  A fever from a cold or flu could end up being damaging or even fatal, but that can be prevented by taking paracetamol.

As we have repeatedly said, there is no method which is absolutely best for everyone for getting over a cold (although many "herbal remedies" have been shown to be ineffective).  I have my preference, based on the knowledge I have of my own body and health, and you have yours.  So be it.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
There are too many variables to say one way is 'truly less dangerous' than another. Forcing yourself to sweat is dangerous in different ways from taking a pharmaceutical product with known side effects, and both are dependent on the individual circumstances.

do you have an article I can red about dangers of sweating? thanks
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi