Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 348413 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #750 on: September 30, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
I am expecting Buzz Aldrin to make a confession soon possibly with an interview with Anna Botting of Sky News.

Really?
How soon is soon? By Christmas this year?
How confident are you of this? Would you be prepared to wager, say £1000?

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #751 on: September 30, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
Bart Sibrel tried that kind of thing once...we know how that worked out...

Yep.  The septuagenarian Burns doesn't get a bye from the octogenarian Aldrin.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #752 on: September 30, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »

Make it interesting.  If Aldrin does not "disclose" anything on or before Christmas 2014, Neil Burns has to donate all the proceeds from his book to the British Science Association.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #753 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »

Make it interesting.  If Aldrin does not "disclose" anything on or before Christmas 2014, Neil Burns has to donate all the proceeds from his book to the British Science Association.

Damn right - their tea fund is running low on custard creams. That should cover them until new year.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #754 on: September 30, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »
Yeah and Aldrin has to come right out and "dsiclose" in plain english. No cryptic interpretations. Plain simple, no nonsense english.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #755 on: September 30, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »

Damn right - their tea fund is running low on custard creams. That should cover them until new year.

Unless they're buying Tesco white label biccies, then I'd think that the proceeds might not even stretch to a single pack....

As for the main wager, I would prefer the "Buy Zakalwe a new astro CCD camera fund" to be honest.... I'm quite partial  to a new QSI camera.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #756 on: September 30, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
The answer to the optimism and to the question of what he gets out of it is pretty obvious:  Neil Burns craves attention.  As Oscar Wilde wrote, "The only thing worse that being talked about is not being talked about."  That is, some people fear obscurity far more than they do being wrong.  It's long been a truism that there's no such thing as bad publicity, which may explain why even the most pointed criticism of his work ends up stroking his ego.  It's not about being right.  I really think he doesn't care whether anyone believes his story about being a physics student or playing golf with Armstrong.

It's not about the money; that's why he gives the book away free to anyone who asks.  And why, early in the book, he advises the reader to give the book away if he doesn't accept the supernatural premise.  He just wants his little booklets out there.  He's willing to pay to be a Person of Note, even if it means being the court jester.  Sadly none of his literature that I've read stands on its merits, being insufferably narcissistic, poorly paced, disjointed, one-dimensional, and almost entirely lacking in charm, rhythm, texture, or color.  So he's got to take the publicity he gets.  If people are criticizing it, he theorizes they must be reading it.

If he would stick to historical figures that few people care about, and avoid making allegations of fact, and find a good editor, he actually might develop a following.  His problem here comes only when he makes allegations of fact he can't support, and when he drafts recently-deceased figures (who have, as has been noted, close living relatives and still-vibrant professional reputations) to play parts in his ghost fiction.

I'm satisfied if he never comes back.  I reviewed his book as promised.  And his record here already amply shows that for the purposes of ascertaining truth and evidence he is largely unwilling to participate.  That should tell most rational readers how credible is allegations of fact are.  If he does come back, he will naturally enjoy the lively participation he has witnessed from his critics.

JayUtah
I have not gone away and still stand by every word and thought in the book.

I am expecting Buzz Aldrin to make a confession soon possibly with an interview with Anna Botting of Sky News.  That will really put the cat among the pigeons !

What proof will you chaps require about his identity before you will accept what he says?

Will you want him to confirm that he played golf with me or will you just accept that he says that he didn’t go to the Moon and had to carry out the recordings of the landings in a specially equipped studio in the Nevada Desert.

Will you give him the benefit of the doubt ?

jockndoris

There is as much chance of Aldrin admitting a hoax as there is of the Sun exploding today.  NONE.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #757 on: September 30, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »

That's assuming he's actually made some sales though.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #758 on: September 30, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »

I am expecting Buzz Aldrin to...

"Stand by," by changing the subject?   I'd love to say that is a novel approach, but it is really all too typical of hoax believers.  Jockndoris, the longer you go on the more boringly predictable you become.  Do us all a favor, surprise everyone and say something that actually supports the thesis of your book. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #759 on: September 30, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
There is as much chance of Aldrin admitting a hoax as there is of the Sun exploding today.  NONE.

Actually, he already has.  Maybe this Burns fellow is onto something...   

Buzz Aldrin Admits To History's Greatest Prank

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highlight-buzz-aldrin-correction

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #760 on: September 30, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »

Actually, he already has.  Maybe this Burns fellow is onto something...   

Buzz Aldrin Admits To History's Greatest Prank

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highlight-buzz-aldrin-correction

That is hilarious.

Buzz can be a really funny guy as long as some idiot journalist doesn't ask him to swear on a bible that he went to the moon. The Buzz gets cross, and we know what happens next, don't we....

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!"

I never tire of watching that!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:50:32 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #761 on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »
As for the main wager, I would prefer the "Buy Zakalwe a new astro CCD camera fund" to be honest.... I'm quite partial  to a new QSI camera.
Are they still as ridiculously expensive as the last time I checked? Most were several times the price of my 8" scope...

Offline Tanalia

• Venus
« Reply #762 on: September 30, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
Are they still as ridiculously expensive as the last time I checked? Most were several times the price of my 8" scope...

A quick look around the QSI web site shows prices in the $3K to $10K range.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #763 on: October 01, 2014, 03:06:48 AM »

I am expecting Buzz Aldrin to make a confession soon possibly with an interview with Anna Botting of Sky News.  That will really put the cat among the pigeons !

What proof will you chaps require about his identity before you will accept what he says?

Will you want him to confirm that he played golf with me or will you just accept that he says that he didn’t go to the Moon and had to carry out the recordings of the landings in a specially equipped studio in the Nevada Desert.

Will you give him the benefit of the doubt ?

jockndoris
[/b]

He was around my house having a cup of tea. That has more credit than your claim (I have embellished it less, less to fib about).

It was Glengettie, with a slice of black pudding.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #764 on: October 01, 2014, 04:47:37 AM »

Yeah..they aren't that cheap, to be honest, but they seem to give great results. I'm looking for a bigger FoV than my Atik 428 gives. Mind you, the Atik 383L ueses the same Kodak sensor at nearly half to cost of the equivalent QSI item....