Author Topic: What is your favorite SF story that is not Star Trek or Star Wars?  (Read 34022 times)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
Re: What is your favorite SF story that is not Star Trek or Star Wars?
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »
I'm wasn't familiar with Reynolds, either, and only picked up the books as I recognized the name from ads (his books have been recently translated to my native language, and surprisingly, they've even been marketed quite extensively) and could get those three (in English, I don't read translations if the originals are in English) for a low price.
But recently beed reading books from Peter Hamilton and that has bumped up to my favourite, that is the problem, one of his series I found too much as in dull. Which of the ones of his I like it is hard to say. So, Greg Mandel, as it is just that bit off reality but still within today, ish.
I have all Hamilton's sci-fi books except Great North Road, and while they do have dull parts, I did enjoy them. Greg Mandel series is good (it's tighter writing than most of the other works), but the Commonwealth Saga is his best stuff, in my opinion.

Great North Road is good, but the ending felt rushed. The Commonwealth series I did enjoy and my new favourites  but the Mind Star books just seem to be that bit closer to a today. The series of his I could not get on with, The Reality Dysfunction. Finished that book and felt a bit "meh!"

Mr Hamilton is about to release another tome it would seem as well.

Offline agingjb

• Mercury
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »
Two of my favourite SF series, Varley's Gaia trilogy and Aldiss' Helliconia trilogy, both have elements that verge on fantasy. Then again two other favourites "Earth Abides" (George R. Stewart) and "Greener than you Think" (Ward Moore) have minimal counterfactual premises.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »
Some years ago read a short story in a compendium (which I cannot remember the name of) that was a collection of short stories about Mars. I remember that those stories were from some of the greats of the genre; Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, Lester Del Ray, Harry Harrison and Frank Herbert among others.

However there was one story (and again I cannot remember what it was called) where the basic premise was about these two neighbours (on Mars) who were both engineers (at least one was an electrical engineer) who, while flying across the desert in their own aircraft, discover an ancient piece of damaged Martian equipment, the purpose of which is a mystery to them. So, being engineering types, they decide to experiment with it in order to try working out what it is adn what it does. The story is quite humorous as I recall, with a number of things going wrong (one of which was that they ended up blowing a trench between their two houses). Does this ring any bells with anyone?

This story was one of the many things that inspired me to take up electronics as a career.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Valis

• Venus
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »
Some years ago read a short story in a compendium (which I cannot remember the name of) that was a collection of short stories about Mars. I remember that those stories were from some of the greats of the genre; Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, Lester Del Ray, Harry Harrison and Frank Herbert among others.

However there was one story (and again I cannot remember what it was called) where the basic premise was about these two neighbours (on Mars) who were both engineers (at least one was an electrical engineer) who, while flying across the desert in their own aircraft, discover an ancient piece of damaged Martian equipment, the purpose of which is a mystery to them. So, being engineering types, they decide to experiment with it in order to try working out what it is adn what it does. The story is quite humorous as I recall, with a number of things going wrong (one of which was that they ended up blowing a trench between their two houses). Does this ring any bells with anyone?

This story was one of the many things that inspired me to take up electronics as a career.
Can you remember what the piece of equipment did? If it was for wireless power transmission, my guess would be George O. Smith's Lost Art in the short story collection Mars, We Love You (Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Mars-Love-You-Jane-Hipolito/dp/0515030864).

[edit:] I haven't read it, your inquiry just matched the collection itself, which is the only one I'm aware of with the specific theme and the authors mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:59:11 AM by Valis »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »

Can you remember what the piece of equipment did? If it was for wireless power transmission, my guess would be George O. Smith's Lost Art in the short story collection Mars, We Love You (Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Mars-Love-You-Jane-Hipolito/dp/0515030864).

[edit:] I haven't read it, your inquiry just matched the collection itself, which is the only one I'm aware of with the specific theme and the authors mentioned.

That's it. It was supposed to be a beam power transmission tube, and the two of them wreaked a fair bit of havoc while they experimented with it.

I just did a Google search and found that "Mars: We Love You" was also published as  "The Book of Mars" .....

......which, when I think of it, was the book I read it in. The two main characters (Barney Carroll and Jim Baler)  also appear in a number of Smith's "Venus Equilateral" stories.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:42:21 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »
Movie: _Forbidden Planet_

Books: _Childhood's End_ by Arthur C. Clarke
_Martian Chronicles_ by Ray Bradbury
_Contact_ by Carl Sagan. I liked the book better than the movie. The whole thing with pi was fascinating, but I was completely dumbfounded by the revelation of the circle of zeroes. (Or was it ones? I forget.) I really didn't expect Sagan to get that metaphysical. He, of all people, knows that if you allow yourself trillions of random digits, and you can choose the dimensions of the digit grid, and any number base you want, you will find some highly improbable coincidence. If a trillion bridge games were played, sooner or later someone may get all 13 cards of one suit on the deal. It's not a miracle. (If you ever get 13 hearts, diamonds, or spades, do NOT bid seven no-trump!!!!)

Edit: Oh, and the pendulum bet. I was surprised Sagan didn't suggest the simple solution of just closing your eyes. Now if someone required you to keep your eyes open, that's not really a fair test, because in that case instinctive reflex may overwhelm faith, (or knowledge).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:24:35 PM by AstroBrant »
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »

_Contact_ by Carl Sagan. I liked the book better than the movie. The whole thing with pi was fascinating, but I was completely dumbfounded by the revelation of the circle of zeroes. (Or was it ones? I forget.) I really didn't expect Sagan to get that metaphysical. He, of all people, knows that if you allow yourself trillions of random digits, and you can choose the dimensions of the digit grid, and any number base you want, you will find some highly improbable coincidence. If a trillion bridge games were played, sooner or later someone may get all 13 cards of one suit on the deal. It's not a miracle. (If you ever get 13 hearts, diamonds, or spades, do NOT bid seven no-trump!!!!)

Edit: Oh, and the pendulum bet. I was surprised Sagan didn't suggest the simple solution of just closing your eyes. Now if someone required you to keep your eyes open, that's not really a fair test, because in that case instinctive reflex may overwhelm faith, (or knowledge).

There was actually an article in a danish newspaper, which reported exactly that - not only did one player get one full color, but all four players EACH got a full set. It could be staged, though. Old people can do the strangest things.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2014, 04:45:55 AM »

There was actually an article in a danish newspaper, which reported exactly that - not only did one player get one full color, but all four players EACH got a full set. It could be staged, though. Old people can do the strangest things.

I once got dealt an ace-high royal flush in spades. Needless to day, I stood pat!

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
I once got dealt an ace-high royal flush in spades. Needless to day, I stood pat!
You know what the chances are of that from a properly shuffled deck?

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »
You know what the chances are of that from a properly shuffled deck?

1/(52x51x50x49x48)?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
I know there is a better notation that involves a ! function, but it is something like this.

(5/52)*(4/51)*(3/50)*(2/49)*(1/48)

Or somewhat greater than the probability of a Apollo hoax being real. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
I know there is a better notation that involves a ! function, but it is something like this.

Oh - right - forgot that the 5 cards could be drawn in any order.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »

Oh - right - forgot that the 5 cards could be drawn in any order.

That's if you're calculating for a specific suit.  If the object is just to get a royal flush then the suit is not determined until the first draw.  Should improve the chances slightly.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »
That's if you're calculating for a specific suit.  If the object is just to get a royal flush then the suit is not determined until the first draw.  Should improve the chances slightly.

I think if you allow any suit the odds would be four times that of the spade royal flush Smartcokie was dealt. 

That is ((4*5)/52)*(4/51)*(3/50)*(2/49)*(1/48)
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:31 AM »
Almost as unlikely as a royal fizzbin.