Author Topic: What has happened to GLP?  (Read 13475 times)

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
What has happened to GLP?
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »
I used to read a lot of their stuff. But, over the last 2 years or so, they appear to have turned into a hate site. The racism and bigotry they spew has turned me off. I check it every day now but can't read most of the threads. What happened?

Sloop

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: What has happened to GLP?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:22:58 AM »
GLP is an incredible place. It must almost be the greatest collection of stupid on the interwebz.

As I said earlier, in another thread...

[spoiler][/spoiler]
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
Honestly, I think it's inevitable that conspiracism leads to other kinds of us-versus-them thinking.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
It's...odd.

Science-based thinkers seem to have moved into positions of established personalities, long-term registered users, and friends of the site owners. Apollo hoax threads there look more and more like the same threads at the BAUT (but without the ban hammer).

At the same time, the religious wars are stronger and stronger, as well as a whole bunch of racial stuff -- mostly concentrated in "secret jewish world rulers" and "african americans are animals" (including a weird sub-thread about alien DNA being part of what makes real -- aka european -- humans).

Which means the more interestingly off-the-wall conspiracies are getting lost in the noise. But it still is an intriguing site due to the international flavor. There are a significant number of (usually anonymous) posters who aren't from the english-speaking parts of the world, and it is refreshing to see that kind of global conversation. Even if it does look mostly like a bar brawl.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
A bar brawl.
I guess then I stick my head in and if the brawl is still going on I go elsewhere. It just seems to be a permanent brawl now.
Though I like Dr.Astros threads, usually.

Sloop

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
I think its in my profile, but, if not, then here it is.
Qualifications:-
RMN (Registered Mental Nurse) since 1982.
RGN (Registered General Nurse) since 1985.
Nurse Teacher:- psychiatry, since 1990.
Senior Staff Nurse (in Elderly Mental Health) since 1994.
I have qualified in ICU, CCU, HDNU, Trauma and Stroke rehabilitation.

I'm sorry GR for your troubles. But when I read some of the posts written by HB's; I know they are written by
Mentally troubled individuals.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
I think its in my profile, but, if not, then here it is.
Qualifications:-
RMN (Registered Mental Nurse) since 1982.
RGN (Registered General Nurse) since 1985.
Nurse Teacher:- psychiatry, since 1990.
Senior Staff Nurse (in Elderly Mental Health) since 1994.
I have qualified in ICU, CCU, HDNU, Trauma and Stroke rehabilitation.

I'm sorry GR for your troubles. But when I read some of the posts written by HB's; I know they are written by
Mentally troubled individuals.

Very poorly worded post. sorry. meant to say sorry you are troubled about labelling ct's and hb's as having mental health issues. but clearly many do. though they don't necessarily require treatment for same.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »
The problem with labelling CTs as having mental health issues is that it is not reasonable or ethical to give a diagnosis or label based just on someone's posts on an internet forum.

Also, such labels are often used as insults, and contribute to a shaming culture of people who do have mental health problems.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
The problem with labelling CTs as having mental health issues is that it is not reasonable or ethical to give a diagnosis or label based just on someone's posts on an internet forum.

Also, such labels are often used as insults, and contribute to a shaming culture of people who do have mental health problems.
In many ways the label of mental illness can be used to excuse truly evil people from responsibility for there evil intent, or at least to not condemn them when appropriate.   Throwing around racist conspiracies is not a sign of excusable mental illness, it is indicative of a malevolent intent.   There are better ways of describing behaviors without relying on an ill-defined "mental illness" label.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »

Saying someone has a mental health issue, is not a diagnosis. A diagnosis would entail ascribing a particular mental illness to them and their presentation. Agreed this cannot be done just by reading internet posts. But, exhibiting a certain, repetitive mind set, in the face of evidence to the contrary, indicates an issue.

I was taught not to label people, Labelling, locks you into a way of viewing people that obscures your view of them and can lead to you not seeing their uniqueness that enables you to create a plan of care that maximises their ability to achieve recovery.

Because someone has a mental health issue, does not make them mentally ill.
Nor does it excuse their, physical, behaviour, nor how they treat the world.

Sloop

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »
As an aside! Look, or worse, try to read and understand, DSM5.

Sloop

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
I am familiar with DSM5, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:45:34 PM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »
As an aside! Look, or worse, try to read and understand, DSM5.

Sloop

I'm sorry, what? What do you mean by 'or worse try and read and understand'? Do you realise how incredibly patronising that sounds, especially when directed to someone you do not actually know. I can assure you Andromeda has already done just what you suggest.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »
I am familiar with DSM5, thanks.

Wow! I found it, impenetrable and obscure, and I do this for a living!
How did you like it?

By the way I thought you were an astronomer. Did I get it that wrong?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
I just don't get it.

I don't get why people seem to be allowed to have an opinion on everything; science, politics, religion, health, education etc, but as soon they make any mention of "mental" health, the PC brigade pop their heads up, wagging their fingers.

I may not be a mental health professional, but I know that when someone is acting batshit crazy; when they have been lying over and over despite being publicly shown that they are lying, and they continue to lie; when they show that they are utterly obsessed with the idea that there are Government / Bilderberg / Illumainati / Freemason / Bohemian Grove / Reptilian / Opus Dei / Trilateral / Skull&Bones (delete as applicable) conspiracies around every corner, that there is something going on between their ears (even though I may not know what), just as I know that when I see a person walking down the street on an artificial leg, I know they have a leg missing (even though I may not know why).

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:07:56 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.