Author Topic: Rarely has an advertisement made me laugh so much...  (Read 16850 times)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Rarely has an advertisement made me laugh so much...
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »

If ones a 500, and still working, you can send it to me for Christmas :). I love playing Elite on that thing and mine bit the dust years ago. Emulators don't do if for me.

I'll write a nice note to Santa, if that helps? :D

I remember playing Elite. It was a fantastic game for hourlong fun. But my version was for C 64. I never had an Amiga. In my youth there were two cliques. One used C 64, the others were Amiga fans.  :)
We spent a fair amount of time in Hangar AE at the Cape in the mid-90s for preflight processing.  The Mission Directors room for unmanned launches was there.  Processing the downlink telemetry from the launch vehicles, and driving the displays, were a pair of Amigas.

A1000? Any special hardware attached?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 06:46:20 AM »

How sad.. lol :)

For anyone interested,  the Elite Dangerous launch party is on this evening 8pm GMT it will be live on the internet.

http://www.twitch.tv/EliteDangerous

I'll be wearing the geeky T'shirt shown, so if Adrian is trolling, you might be able to spot me.. LOL! :D

A good night was had by all, did anybody catch me on the video feed? Wearing my geeky shirt. :D David Braben wasn't very forthcoming about, when the C64 or BBC Micro versions would be available though. :( But he did like my question on whether he had invited Ian Bell to the event, appears that they did, but Ian refused to answer them. :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 09:24:19 AM »
Reading they have removed single player play? If so I shall decline to part with any loot.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
Yeah, you can't play it without an internet connection.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
Reading they have removed single player play? If so I shall decline to part with any loot.

Quite a few people brought that up, they were backed into a corner somewhat. You can play in single player mode, but you do need an internet connection. But to release a stand alone version would need a complete re-write of the game. Additionally to run the game at full potential you need a 4K monitor and 'two' high quality graphics cards. Playing the game with the optical headsets was unbelievable. :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
Ah, internet connection eh? That is no problem, Silent Hunter had one of their games as such as well, when I had a foray into a windows machine.

Edit. Windows only on that web site? OK. Oolite then.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:54:18 PM by Tedward »

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »
The music of Elite for C64:

Makes me some kind of melancholic  :-[
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
Not a good video off my iPhone, of last nights launch

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 04:30:40 PM »
Hmmm, never heard of Elite. I wonder why.
I did enjoy playing a quirky little game called "Mule." It was one of only two computer games my wife was ever interested in playing with me. The other one was a murder mystery...all text. I can't remember the name of it, though. A few years later I'll bet another game she would have been fascinated with was "Myst." But by then she had come to hate my computers.
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »

That was not the music from my version. Maybe the germans got a different tune?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »
Hmmm, never heard of Elite. I wonder why.
I did enjoy playing a quirky little game called "Mule." It was one of only two computer games my wife was ever interested in playing with me. The other one was a murder mystery...all text. I can't remember the name of it, though. A few years later I'll bet another game she would have been fascinated with was "Myst." But by then she had come to hate my computers.

Elite was a space trading game thought up by Ian Bell and David Braben. It was originally written for the BBC Micro, and later released on most other machines of the age. C64 etc. You start with a ship and 100 credits you can choose how you approach the game. You can trade and build up your prestige and money honestly. You can deal in illegal goods like slaves, narcotics etc but you have the police of half the galaxy after you. Or you can become an all out privateer, destroying other ships and plundering their cargo.

There are a couple of aims to the game, most genre's had 5 or more missions for you to complete which are picked up at various stages of the game.
Plus the other point of the game was to become Elite. You start at Harmless and grow through Mostly Harmless, poor, average, above average, competent and finally Elite. This is done by combat, either legal combat or shooting all on sight. It boasted the first real use of 3D vector graphics and a large universe, fully contained in the game, a massive feat for those early machines.

The new game coming out now boasts the full visible night sky, with stars in there correct positions of the Galaxy and the rest of the non visible galaxy. In theory you can travel to anyone of the stars in the Milky Way, literally billions of trips. I don't think I have the mind set or the equipment to do the new game justice. :)

One of the few games that held my interest for more than 5 minutes in its day though. :)

There is a free Public Domain game called oolite which gives you a taste of the original game, but with slightly better graphics.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:58:17 PM by Bryanpoprobson »

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »

That was the start music for most of the versions that I played, the docking music however was always the Blue Danube.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »

That was the start music for most of the versions that I played, the docking music however was always the Blue Danube.

Maybe I just skipped the intro tune then.

There were a few more steps between "Harmless" og "Elite" - Dangerous and Deadly were there too. The missions wasn't in the c64 versions, only in the later ports to Amiga and perhaps other more powerful platforms.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 04:16:30 AM »

There were a few more steps between "Harmless" og "Elite" - Dangerous and Deadly were there too. The missions wasn't in the c64 versions, only in the later ports to Amiga and perhaps other more powerful platforms.

There were missions on the c64 only three of them counting the trumbles.
1:- Trumbles
2:- Constrictor
3:- Thargoid battle plans

I did find that although the trumbles bit worked, the code went into error when getting the first mission, instead of sending me after the constrictor (1st C64 mission) I got a garbage message and could not complete the mission. It wasn't my copy of the game either, because I changed from a tape copy to disc copy and the same thing happened. But I have friends who completed the C64 missions. :( Confusing.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:20:19 AM by Bryanpoprobson »

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 07:00:15 AM »

There were missions on the c64 only three of them counting the trumbles.
1:- Trumbles
2:- Constrictor
3:- Thargoid battle plans

I did find that although the trumbles bit worked, the code went into error when getting the first mission, instead of sending me after the constrictor (1st C64 mission) I got a garbage message and could not complete the mission. It wasn't my copy of the game either, because I changed from a tape copy to disc copy and the same thing happened. But I have friends who completed the C64 missions. :( Confusing.

I seem to remember something about those - but I'm not convinced those were on the c64. I still have the game on a 5 1/4 disc somewhere, but no hardware to run it on. If the disc still works, that is.