Author Topic: Rarely has an advertisement made me laugh so much...  (Read 16865 times)

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
Re: Rarely has an advertisement made me laugh so much...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 06:58:12 AM »
Aldrin, Shepard and Carpenter in a commercial for the Amiga 500 (from 1989):

Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 10:50:52 AM »

Oh the memories!  I designed and installed Amiga-based systems until Commodore bailed on it. Thanks for posting that.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »

Oh the memories!  I designed and installed Amiga-based systems until Commodore bailed on it. Thanks for posting that.

I still have 2 sitting on a shelf in the basement.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »

If ones a 500, and still working, you can send it to me for Christmas :). I love playing Elite on that thing and mine bit the dust years ago. Emulators don't do if for me.

I'll write a nice note to Santa, if that helps? :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »

If ones a 500, and still working, you can send it to me for Christmas :). I love playing Elite on that thing and mine bit the dust years ago. Emulators don't do if for me.

I remember playing Elite. It was a fantastic game for hourlong fun. But my version was for C 64. I never had an Amiga. In my youth there were two cliques. One used C 64, the others were Amiga fans.  :)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »

I remember playing Elite. It was a fantastic game for hourlong fun. But my version was for C 64. I never had an Amiga. In my youth there were two cliques. One used C 64, the others were Amiga fans.  :)

My C64 version used to go wrong on the missions.. never found out why :(. I've had an invite to the Elite Dangerous Launch party on the 22 of this month. A friend, who I haven't seen for years, who got me into elite (C64 version) has bought the tickets and invited me along. :)

Sadly I may have to wear my retro T'shirt with the C64 graphics and the "Load New Commander" slogan. :D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:39:21 PM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »

How sad.. lol :)

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »

:)
Have much fun there. Reading this I'm going to look, if there are any conventions of C64-fans here in Germany. Should be very funny.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »

A500+ with GVP A530 accelerator and harddisk + A4000 with 68060 CPU, built into a tower.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Online grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
I have an A1200 with an accelerator (68030, as I recall). External CDROM drive, too. Currently gathering dust but I don't really want to throw it out, it was a good machine in its day.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
An interesting commercial with Neil Armstrong from 1979:

Hmm. I thought he made a point of not selling himself out commercially. Maybe he needed the money.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »

An interesting commercial with Neil Armstrong from 1979:

Hmm. I thought he made a point of not selling himself out commercially. Maybe he needed the money.

At the time, Chrysler was in bankruptcy in a really bad economy, and I think he took on the ad as a way of helping the country by helping one of the then Big 3.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 04:38:07 AM »
I liked it.

Sorry.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 06:41:52 AM »

We spent a fair amount of time in Hangar AE at the Cape in the mid-90s for preflight processing.  The Mission Directors room for unmanned launches was there.  Processing the downlink telemetry from the launch vehicles, and driving the displays, were a pair of Amigas.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 03:05:52 AM »

For anyone interested,  the Elite Dangerous launch party is on this evening 8pm GMT it will be live on the internet.

http://www.twitch.tv/EliteDangerous

I'll be wearing the geeky T'shirt shown, so if Adrian is trolling, you might be able to spot me.. LOL! :D