Author Topic: HS2: approaches of those opposed to high speed rail in the UK  (Read 8875 times)

Offline gwiz

• Mars
Re: HS2: approaches of those opposed to high speed rail in the UK
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »
Maybe that'll improve with the electrification of the Great Western Main Line.
AFAIK, they're only planning to electrify London to Bristol.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 06:39:12 AM »
The other part of the problem is that the track quality is quite low, limiting the maximum speed the train can achieve.
Similar problem for the line to Cornwall, mostly follows the original Brunel route winding up and down valleys and along the coast.  Undeniably scenic but not quick and very vulnerable to bad weather.  Two examples from the last two years:
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/LIVE-UPDATES-Rail-travel-hanging-thread-track/story-20563661-detail/story.html
and
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Council-leaders-unite-solution-Exeter-railway/story-19570534-detail/story.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:45:45 AM by gwiz »
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 03:22:46 AM »
No experience on any line further than London to Portsmouth on my trip to the UK last year, but I thought the service was great.  The complaints about constant cancellations boil down to people having to wait 6 minutes for a train instead of 3. UK trains were certainly better than in the Netherlands.  But I loved the HSR in Spain, that was amazing.