Author Topic: Uh oh! Jarrah's mad at SG Collins!  (Read 54103 times)

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
Uh oh! Jarrah's mad at SG Collins!
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »
Remember SG Collins, the guy who did the YouTube video claiming it was impossible to fake the moon landings with 1960's technology? Well he has an interesting and thoughtful reply to Jarrah, who attacked him in a recent video, and discusses, amongst other things, the hammer drop, thoughts on slow motion playback and the general luna hoax movement.

(At 9:50 he references "Live TV from the Moon")

And just because it's great, here's SG Collins original:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:35:54 PM by Inanimate Carbon Rod »
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
Re: Uh oh! Jarrah's mad at SG Collins!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
After attempting to clarify a few questions with Jarrah, he has blocked me from posting on his channel. I am perplexed by this outcome :o

Yes, I know it's pissing into the wind, but I have to ask.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »
At about 3:08 there is an overlay of text explaining how much a video would have to be slowed down to simulate being on the Moon. It looked kind of familiar so I searched this forum and the old Proboards forum. Nothing. But then I Googled it and found this:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-36471.html

Bottom of the page. It's a post by Bob B. on BAUT. :)
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:22:21 AM »
Personally, I don't share his apparent apathy regarding Apollo, I think it was pretty darn cool, but it is a good tone for him to present, an excellent contrast to Jarrrah's wild dingo.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:42 AM »
Gentleman's cool reply I fear will enrage the unmentionables. Not looked at JW video in reply, not bothered with that route for a while now, but the clips if they set the tone, are not really surprising.

Video of the topic though. That was a very clear and concise and pleasant reply and I would expect Jdubbya to do the same.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 05:02:58 AM »
I didn't care for Collins' nonchalance about "whether we went or not", nor his characterization of Jarrah's motives as purely innocent, as anyone who knows his history knows differently. In his defense, Collins is apparently new to the hoax scene and unfamiliar with JW's record. Also, his area of expertise is media production, not aerospace, so naturally he is going to address the hoax arguments using the tools he is most familiar with.  All things considered, the quality of his work is outstanding, and the calm, linear message delivery is refreshing.  Collins cuts Jarrah and his followers with cool surgical precision instead of brute force.  I hope he makes more.

Oh and hi everyone.  :)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:10:36 AM by beedarko »

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:08:37 AM »
Not looked at JW video in reply

There's really no reason to watch if you've already viewed any of his previous works. This one is full of the same math blunders, misapplied technical terms, and logical fallacies as the rest. Nothing worth seeing unless you need some comic relief.

Offline geo7863

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »
Excellent vids  :D

Edited to add: I havent seen any of Jarrah White's vids, but I take it from the first of Collins' vids here, that Jarrah has cast doubt on Collins' experience/authority (if thats the right word to use) in the media industry, even saying that Collins wasnt in the industry when the moon landings happened. I also see from the 'moonfakers' website that Jarrahs own experience/Authority is a "Certificate III & IV with distinctions in Screen (a Film & TV course) at Sydney Institute of TAFE" (and he is currently doing his BSc in Astrophysics) I dont know if he has actual 'work experience' in the media industry but does this mean that he is more of an 'expert' than Collins is? I dont think so really!

I dont know his age either but I guess he is still in his 20's....so he definitley wasnt in the media industry when the moon landings happened either! How can people such as White ridicule others who are obviously far more versed in their arts than he is and claim ultimate authority over the self same matters?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 06:05:03 AM by geo7863 »

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:57:42 AM »
I didn't care for Collins' nonchalance about "whether we went or not", nor his characterization of Jarrah's motives as purely innocent, as anyone who knows his history knows differently. In his defense, Collins is apparently new to the hoax scene and unfamiliar with JW's record. Also, his area of expertise is media production, not aerospace, so naturally he is going to address the hoax arguments using the tools he is most familiar with.  All things considered, the quality of his work is outstanding, and the calm, linear message delivery is refreshing.  Collins cuts Jarrah and his followers with cool surgical precision instead of brute force.  I hope he makes more.

Oh and hi everyone.  :)

Actually, I think the "disinterested observer" tone works quite well. He makes it plain that he's not interested in debating opinions, politics, or hidden agendas.  He comes across as, well, for all I know we found aliens on the moon, but if we did, this is how we would have had to film them.  I have to kind of admire that degree of calm devotion to "just the facts, ma'am."

And I agree that approach is likely to enrage the loons who are always spoiling for a fight.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
To me, his tone says, "I am an arts guy, not a science geek, so I can't judge the science.  But what I do know from the practice of the functional arts is...."  He is someone I would like to hire if I needed a industrial or marketing film made, because by these two films, he doesn't let his personal thinking get in the way of his professional judgement.   
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »
What gets me is the claim that you have to have worked in film at the time to have known what film was capable of.  By that standard, we might easily assume that the Moon landings could have been faked by Georges Méliès.  I mean, he did a Moon landing, right?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
What gets me is the claim that you have to have worked in film at the time to have known what film was capable of.  By that standard, we might easily assume that the Moon landings could have been faked by Georges Méliès.  I mean, he did a Moon landing, right?

Are you talking about the part where JW sneers at the fact that Collins started working in film in 1982? I have to say that my first thought (and I'll bet a lot of other folks) was ....uh, Jarrah? That's also before you were born.

I haven't seen JW's attack video. Unless someone tells me differently, I presume it's his usual formula: mine a vaguely relevant quote and twist it 'til it squeals. Delivered in his usual condescending, smarmy tone, of course.

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »
What gets me is the claim that you have to have worked in film at the time to have known what film was capable of.

White's default method of attack is to discredit his opponent first, by whatever means he deems effective.  Actually addressing the moon hoax arguments in earnest takes an 8th-row back seat.

I'm sure some of the members here can attest. 

Actually, I think the "disinterested observer" tone works quite well. He makes it plain that he's not interested in debating opinions, politics, or hidden agendas.

Don't get me wrong - I think his overall approach and final product is absolutely stellar. I just bristled a bit when he complimented Jarrah for doing a "good thing", when those who've spent any time in these debates know he is doing anything but.  And he's entitled to his nonchalance about Apollo. I just don't happen to share it.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 08:18:02 PM »
What gets me is the claim that you have to have worked in film at the time to have known what film was capable of.

White's default method of attack is to discredit his opponent first, by whatever means he deems effective.  Actually addressing the moon hoax arguments in earnest takes an 8th-row back seat.

I'm sure some of the members here can attest. 

Yes, I'm quite familiar with Jarrah White's tactics.  I may not watch his videos, but I'm still familiar with what he does in them.  I even know plenty of stories that have nothing to do with YouTube.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »
Don't get me wrong - I think his overall approach and final product is absolutely stellar. I just bristled a bit when he complimented Jarrah for doing a "good thing", when those who've spent any time in these debates know he is doing anything but.  And he's entitled to his nonchalance about Apollo. I just don't happen to share it.

I don't know...  I've viewed some of Collins' work and I find him to have a dry and biting sense of humor. I think - and I could just be projecting here - that if you read between the lines, he's shredding JW into confetti in a way so subtle that JW will never pick up on it.

Examples? OK:

"From the note of contempt in his voice, it does sound like Jarrah's mad at me about something."
(he sounds like I stole his lollipop)

"... doing a good thing... he's trying to come to grips with the technology."
(and failing miserably)

JW: Collins claims to have been involved in the film business for three decades.
"Well, that's dressing it up a little.  What Collins really said was, I've been shooting in the studio for about thirty years now, and I know what to look for. Lighting wise, that is."
(we already know you can twist quotes - don't try it on mine, bucko)

"That doesn't make me special.  There are thousands of DPs (Directors of Photography) and gaffers (Chief Lighting Technicians) who can take a look at a scene and give you a good guess as to how it was lit."
(and they'll all tell you you're wrong)

"My career is unremarkable. But it happened."
(unlike you, you miserable piece of antipodean butt fluff)

And so on and so forth.  Now, I don't mean to imply Collins was having these thoughts, but they certainly were occurring to me.  I don't intend in any way to put words in his mouth or ascribe thoughts to him that I have no way of knowing.  My reaction may be solely based on past experience with JW and an automatic irritation that surfaces where JW's involved.

Still, it's kind of fun to think about.