Author Topic: First Man  (Read 2796 times)

Offline nickrulercreator

• Venus
Re: First Man
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2018, 08:54:31 PM »
The Gemini launch was actually pretty accurate. That squeal noise heard just as it begins to launch is a result of the engine's starter cartridge firing up:
I don't know if it'd be that loud in the spacecraft, but that's what it sounded like.

I saw it on Friday and thought it was very very well done. I agree that Neil was made to seem very blah and unemotional, which, with what we know about him, is not entirely accurate, but it was still very good.

The cinematography was beautiful (though a bit shaky). The launch and landing sequence were phenomenal, some of the best I've ever seen in any film, and when they showed the iconic skirt separation in the launch, my mind exploded. They really nailed down those details.

The soundtrack, IMO, was perfect. It really set the tone of triumph, hope, and aspiration, but also made you experience the same dread and hurt that the movie itself portrayed.

Overall, for a nonfiction film, Apollo 13 and this one are tied for me. For nonfiction, interstellar and 2001 still beat this one, but that's because there's more leeway in the story of course.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline raven

• Saturn
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2018, 02:20:39 AM »
Armstrong never struck me as 'emotionless'. Just someone not great in front of the camera. Some people are like that. Excellent at what he did but not someone who liked the spotlight. And he had this adorable shy smile. If I was a few decades older, I would have had such a crush on him.
Still, I definitively will be seeing this, despite its faults.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Jupiter
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
I decided to go see the movie for a second time today, and I enjoyed it a lot more this time.

Neil didn't seem like as much of a "gloomy Gus", and even the sound of the Gemini 8 launch didn't bother me as much.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Obviousman

• Mars
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
It does a good job of summarising my opinions.

Offline Zakalwe

• Saturn
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2018, 01:25:02 AM »
I agree. Add that to the terrible formulaic camera work and you have a not great movie, IMHO.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov