Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 52496 times)

Offline jfb

• Earth
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #765 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
I'd note that merely saying that the Democratic Party is "the plantation" is also a deliberate dogwhistle on the part of a party that is primarily responsible for keeping laws in place that are bad for minorities, claiming that the only reason to vote for the Democrats is that you've been told do so.  Despite things like a President who still believes five young men are responsible for a high-profile crime for no reason I can see beyond the colour of their skin.

Modern Republicans love to point out that the Democratic Party was the party of Jim Crow.  And it's true - up until the 1970s, Southern states were overwhelmingly Democratic and overwhelmingly racist.  When Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, he remarked at the time that he was losing the South for a generation.

He was an optimist.

So what happened to all those Dixiecrats?  Nixon had already wooed a lot of them into the GOP in the late 60s, but when Republican Bill Clements became Governor of Texas in 1979 and the world didn't end, many Southern politicians realized that it had been a hundred years since Reconstruction, they didn't agree with the direction the Democratic Party was taking, and decided it was okay to switch sides. 

In short, they are the modern Republican Party. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #766 on: February 14, 2020, 10:59:59 AM »
I don't know if you watched the miniseries about them, but it's beautifully done.  And so painful.

What people don't realize, I guess, is that black people originally tended to vote for Republicans (when they could vote at all) because the Republicans had indeed been the party of Lincoln, and the Democrats of the 19th century were the party doing as much as possible to keep them in servitude.  However, as time passed and the parties shifted, black people realized which party served their own interests better and made the switch.  Then, in the 1960s, the Republicans became the party of racism (hello, Strom Thurmond!), and their only real attempt to win black voters tends to be implying that black people only vote for the Democrats because the Democrats give them money through social programs.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline jfb

• Earth
« Reply #767 on: February 14, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
Apropos of absolutely nothing, saw a wonderful idea on Twitter that Bloomberg should buy up all of Trump's debt and then call the loans or foreclose, although I think it would be funnier if Bezos did it.  Turn Mar a Lago into a launch site for New Glenn. 

No, it's not a good thing, but it would be funny as hell. 

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Jupiter
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #768 on: February 14, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
Bloomberg should buy up all of Trump's debt and then call the loans or foreclose

That is kind of what I expect China to do with the US debt owed to them if Trump keeps antagonizing them.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #769 on: February 16, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »

That is kind of what I expect China to do with the US debt owed to them if Trump keeps antagonizing them.

Treasury bonds aren't callable.