Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 29079 times)

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #510 on: November 09, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
To be fair, the Democrats once voted in a dead man, back in 2000.
Dead Man Running was a plot in The West Wing.

He's a poor man's idea of a rich man, a stupid man's idea of a smart man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man. 
He's the anti-Bartlet.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Obviousman

• Mars
« Reply #511 on: November 09, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »
The fact that some people not just voted for this man but actually support him makes me want some type of entrance exam for voting.

"I'm sorry Sir but you are too stupid to vote".

Offline Zakalwe

• Saturn
« Reply #512 on: November 10, 2018, 04:45:44 AM »

Do not underestimate the strong undercurrents of fascism in the US.  It's always been there (Henry Ford thought Hitler was a swell guy), but it's been steadily growing over the decades as more and more people realize that being white, Christian, and male is no longer sufficient for being the guy in charge.  Mediocre white men have been losing positions of power and economic superiority to women and minorities, and that's Just Not Right

Then you have the crime-has-never-been-higher, brown-people-are-coming-to-murder-us-in-our-sleep bedwetters, who are the kind of people whom Ben Franklin was talking about when he said, "those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."  These are the people who are just fine with the kind of wanton brutality Joe Arpaio and David Clarke subjected their inmates to. 

Way too many Americans want a strong daddy figure to make all the scary monsters go away, and for some incomprehensible reason they have decided that's Trump.  He's a poor man's idea of a rich man, a stupid man's idea of a smart man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man. 

A divided government will slow him down, but he still has the Senate to approve his appointments and any further SCOTUS nominees (pray to whatever gods you believe in that RBG doesn't kick before 2020).  The last few months have shown us that there aren't that many built-in legal protections against a President going apeshit (yes, there's the 25th amendment, but that requires the VP and a majority of the Cabinet to sign off, and if they're all loyalists, they won't).  The only thing that stopped previous Presidents from wrecking the whole system was a sense of shame.

This is simultaneously the most comprehensively sensible and terrifying piece that I have read on the current state of affairs in a long time.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #513 on: November 10, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
The fact that some people not just voted for this man but actually support him makes me want some type of entrance exam for voting.

The problem with that is that it is all too often used as a way to prevent minorities from voting.  Now, a test for candidates, I can support!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Obviousman

• Mars
« Reply #514 on: November 10, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »

The problem with that is that it is all too often used as a way to prevent minorities from voting.  Now, a test for candidates, I can support!

Yeah i know. Even the best of intentions will (not can) be corrupted and used to unfairly discriminate against some group or another.

It was just a small Utopia moment for me.....

Offline molesworth

• Earth
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #515 on: November 10, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
I was saddened, although not too surprised, to read that Trump decided not to go to the Armistice Remembrance at the main US War Grave site in France, because it was raining, and sent his deputies instead.  He seems totally disconnected from reality, and completely lacking in any understanding of the historical context or importance of the occasion.

He also tweeted that he was "...getting ready to celebrate the end of World War One.".  "Celebrate"?!?!  Words fail me...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline jfb

• Earth
« Reply #516 on: November 13, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »
I was saddened, although not too surprised, to read that Trump decided not to go to the Armistice Remembrance at the main US War Grave site in France, because it was raining, and sent his deputies instead.  He seems totally disconnected from reality, and completely lacking in any understanding of the historical context or importance of the occasion.

He also tweeted that he was "...getting ready to celebrate the end of World War One.".  "Celebrate"?!?!  Words fail me...

It's not that he's disconnected from anything - he just doesn't care.  Seriously.  Trump being disconnected from reality would be an improvement on the current state of affairs. 

Everybody needs to remember, he wasn't supposed to win.  He was supposed to lose ungraciously and continually question the legitimacy of a Clinton presidency. 

And everybody also needs to remember he's not the problem, he's merely a symptom of the problem.  The problem is that we Americans are a bunch of infantile whiny crybabies who expect things to always go our way because we say so, and when they don't we can pitch a blue-lipped fit to rival any two-year-old.  Trump is the American id made real. 

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #517 on: November 15, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »
Not only do Americans sometimes elect dead candidates, they also elect ones already indicted for felonies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_D._Hunter

All he had to do was to label his opponent (who had a conveniently foreign-sounding name) as a terrorist...

Offline Glom

• Jupiter
« Reply #518 on: November 16, 2018, 06:03:08 AM »
Wasn't Jack Swigert a case of dead man elected?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Jupiter
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #519 on: November 16, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
He died after the election but before being sworn in. Whether or not the voters knew he was dying at the time of the election, I don't know.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)