Author Topic: The Earth is actually flat!  (Read 20671 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: The Earth is actually flat!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 02:41:00 AM »
Quit blaming NASA....
The majority of earth orbiting cameras from which we see photos of globe earth actually don't have anything to do with NASA. They come from privately owned satellites and satellites owned by governments all over the world., e.g.

GeoEye: American owned by Digital Globe
SPOT: French, owned by CNES (Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales) – the French space agency
RapidEye: German, developed by Kayser-Threde GmbH and financed mostly by Vereinigte Hagelversicherung, a German agricultural insurance provider. 
Meteostat: Run by EUMETSAT (European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites), an intergovernmental agency involving 30 European Union countries, and based in Darmstadt, Germany based in 

just to mention a few.

Many of those satellites weren't even launched by NASA. Unfortunately, members of the "blame NASA" species of nutjob are too stupid to understand this.

... man has know that the Earth isn't flat for centuries.

Yes, many centuries.... over 20 of them!!

Pythagoras of Samos first mooted that the earth was spherical around 540 BC

Aristotle of Stagira proved it around 330BC

Eratosthenes of Cyrene measured its circumference in 255BC.

Aristarchus of Samos was the first person to show that the Sun was the centre of the solar system, not the earth. That was around 230BC, something that, despite the teachings of the Church and of Ptolemy, the Persian poet Omar Kayyam (who was greatly interested in mathematics, and astronomy) understood clearly. He even mentioned it in is famous "Rubaiyat"

v48
"For in and out, above, about, below,
‘Tis nothing but a Magic Shadow-show,
Play’d in a Box whose Candle is the Sun,
Round which we Phantom Figures come and go."

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:56:15 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 03:23:27 AM »

Meteostat: Run by EUMETSAT (European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites), an intergovernmental agency involving 30 European Union countries, and based in Darmstadt, Germany based in 

Impressive given there are only 28 countries in the EU.

I don't get flat Earth. Young Earth creationism at least is driven by a need to be consistent with scripture, but why does the Earth need to be flat? That doesn't even agree with observation.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »
The OP is trolling. He must have had a heavy weekend on the beer/bong/crackpipe*  ;D
You cant go from this, his first post:
http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=1264.msg40785#msg40785

to this
http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=1266.msg40855#msg40855
unless recreational chemicals or a hard head injury has occurred.
 ;)

*Delete as applicable
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 04:30:56 AM »
I'll say that the images are a weak attempt to show differences, largely due to cloud cover.  The two Go-Pro  images are far from conclusive.
The Earth is roughly spheroid in shape.  This can be proved by observing ships approaching.  The ships appear from the top down as they get closer to the observer.
Quit blaming NASA as man has know that the Earth isn't flat for centuries.
Have you actually done any research on the images, or do you just accept anything written in an image as fact?
The two Go-Pro images are not made with Go-Pro's. The person who made that image with the text lied. But its used to make a point about space images being manipulated anyway.
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 06:00:27 AM »

Meteostat: Run by EUMETSAT (European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites), an intergovernmental agency involving 30 European Union countries, and based in Darmstadt, Germany. 

Impressive given there are only 28 countries in the EU.

The other two countries are Turkey and Switzerland which, while they are not members of the EU, are memebr states in the EUMETSAT conglomerate.

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/AboutUs/WhoWeAre/MemberStates/index.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:05:16 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »
I'll say that the images are a weak attempt to show differences, largely due to cloud cover.  The two Go-Pro  images are far from conclusive.
The Earth is roughly spheroid in shape.  This can be proved by observing ships approaching.  The ships appear from the top down as they get closer to the observer.
Have you actually done any research on the images, or do you just accept anything written in an image as fact?

What research might be made concerning a globe spinning and taking images at different times in the day/year and with different cloud cover.  How do you reconcile the differences?  That NASA is "lying"?  For what purpose would NASA be lying, this is a very naïve observation and question.
The two Go-Pro images are not made with Go-Pro's. The person who made that image with the text lied. But its used to make a point about space images being manipulated anyway.

Everything you posted has been lied about don't you see the difference?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »
Further, apollo16uvc,  have you done any research on the images in the OP?
If so present the "evidence" you have determined that prove the propositions in the OP instead of asking others what research has been conducted in confirming science understanding.

I am thinking you are a troll, making posts for the purpose of eliciting responses.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
RapidEye: German, developed by Kayser-Threde GmbH and financed mostly by Vereinigte Hagelversicherung, a German agricultural insurance provider. 
Hagelversicherung means hail insurance, btw.  Guess they can now check claims without leaving the office.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Regarding the "Go Pro" images, I have been involved in several high altitude balloon flights at a local high school and I'm always cautioning the students who see our videos (which are stunning, IMHO) that you are not seeing the actual curvature of the earth but the distortion of the lens. They usually understand this quickly when I point out that the shape of the horizon changes rapidly between concave and convex as the camera swings under the balloon.

The earth is certainly spherical-ish, but even 30 km altitude is too low to for that curvature to be obvious to an inexpensive camera.

But our balloons certainly do demonstrate the earth's size and shape in other ways, particularly by how far their line-of-sight VHF tracking signals propagate as altitude changes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:25:47 PM by ka9q »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
I have been to Antarctica in the middle of the southern summer. I have seen the sun skim the horizon through a full 360° without ever setting.
Plus the fact that you saw the sun appear to circle you from right to left, while observers in the northern arctic during its summer see it circle from left to right.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
I think Pythagoras may have been the first to put it in writing (that we know of) but the idea goes back further than that.

Greek and Phoenician navigators, and possibly the Minoans too, used a very basic form of celestial navigation, and observing the changes in the height of the celestial pole, and visibility of other stars with changing latitude, pointed very strongly to a round earth.  Seeing distant lands or ships appear over the horizon provided more evidence.

I'm not sure what the point of this claim by apollo16uvc is, but a few random images aren't enough to even start a discussion about the shape of the earth...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »
I have been to Antarctica in the middle of the southern summer. I have seen the sun skim the horizon through a full 360° without ever setting.
Plus the fact that you saw the sun appear to circle you from right to left, while observers in the northern arctic during its summer see it circle from left to right.

Correct, and a fact that is utterly irreconcilable with ANY flat earth theory.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
I would like you to watch this video:

How do you explain the examples of how the curvature of the Earth has been demonstrated, such as the helicopter that appears to descend below the surface of the lake while still remaining airborne?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »
I think Pythagoras may have been the first to put it in writing (that we know of) but the idea goes back further than that.

Greek and Phoenician navigators, and possibly the Minoans too, used a very basic form of celestial navigation, and observing the changes in the height of the celestial pole, and visibility of other stars with changing latitude, pointed very strongly to a round earth.  Seeing distant lands or ships appear over the horizon provided more evidence.

I'm not sure what the point of this claim by apollo16uvc is, but a few random images aren't enough to even start a discussion about the shape of the earth...

Which just goes to show that even your average Minoan navigator was way smarter than any flat earther.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:45:08 PM by smartcooky »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 03:06:55 AM »

Correct, and a fact that is utterly irreconcilable with ANY flat earth theory.
That is why flat earthing is so utterly befuddling. Young Earth creationism or geocentrism at least doesn't require such an utter cognitive dissonance. To dimiss what is blatently in front of your own eyes requires a special level of self deceit. And for what? Is the Bible that specific about the shape of the Earth?