Author Topic: In which I am called an 'anti-ID troll' by Professor Steve Fuller  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
In another thread, ChrLz said:
Am I correct that this Colin Rourke person still has an educational role in a tertiary institution (namely the University of Warwick)?
What is it about the University of Warwick?

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2012/08/05/3561096.htm

Professor Steve Fuller is a philosopher-sociologist at the University of Warwick. I first heard about him through his involvement in the Dover 'Intelligent Design' Trial in the USA back in 2005, where he gave evidence for the defendant in support of Intelligent Design Theory.

He's now had a blog article published on the (Australian) ABC Religion site, in which he discusses '"Theomimesis" [his] neologism for attempts to acquire God's point-of-view - in short, to take literally that we might "get into the mind of God" or even "play God."'

I critiqued a part of his article, and got this comment in response:
I was wondering how long it would take before an anti-ID troll would appear. PeterB wins! As it turns out, the title of this piece was chosen by the editor. I didn't originally include the phrase 'intelligent design' in the title, and the phrase occurs more than half-way through the article. But even in the article I refer to 'testable predictions' from ID, namely, in Frank Tipler's work -- and there is more in the literature, especially Stephen Meyer's Signature in the Cell. But trolls will be trolls....
I assume it's a honour of some sort to be publicly abused by a professor.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
Re: In which I am called an 'anti-ID troll' by Professor Steve Fuller
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
If they publicly name you, you must be getting to them. Keep it up.

'testable predictions'

ID can be tested?
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
Clearly, anyone who disagrees with him must be a troll, right?  They couldn't, I don't know, be an educator or something, now, could they?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »
Keep up the good work, Fuller's name calling just helps your status among the rational crowd.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
Professor Steve Fuller is a philosopher-sociologist at the University of Warwick.
Brings to mind the exchange at the Ancient Rome Unemployment Office in History Of The World, Part I...

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher.
Dole Office Clerk: What?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a *bullshit* artist!

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz