Author Topic: Al Worden on Reddit a few hours ago  (Read 4764 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: Al Worden on Reddit a few hours ago
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
Interesting indeed. Thanks for the link Mako! :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:49:40 AM »
Yes, I enjoyed reading the questions and answers.  I have never had the opportunity to shake hands or talk to an astronaut.  Only one email from any of them, but that is ok, I'm a nobody visiting with people who have a lot of inquiries from others like me. 
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Rob48

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
I like the line when he was asked if it was tough being alone in the CM:

"I hate to tell you this but that was the best part of the flight for me. Consider being cooped up in a Volkswagen for four days with two other people, and I think you would feel the same way if they got out for three days."

:D

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 05:29:20 AM »

"I hate to tell you this but that was the best part of the flight for me. Consider being cooped up in a Volkswagen for four days with two other people, and I think you would feel the same way if they got out for three days."

Yeah, I liked that. I have a feeling that every CMP felt the same way.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »

Yeah, I liked that. I have a feeling that every CMP felt the same way.
With the plus, no Capcom in his ear! :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:58:52 AM »
Nice! Although I would question his opinion that the Meteor was a bad aircraft and the F-104 a good one......

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 07:13:38 PM »
Nice! Although I would question his opinion that the Meteor was a bad aircraft and the F-104 a good one......

I believe the only time Worden had in the Starfighter was with the NF-104 variant. I remember reading about his flights with it in his book and his descriptions of it were pretty amazing to say the least.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:12:22 PM »

I believe the only time Worden had in the Starfighter was with the NF-104 variant. I remember reading about his flights with it in his book and his descriptions of it were pretty amazing to say the least.

It certainly looked and this version was amazing was in the hands of a competent pilot. But 104's could be very nasty, especially the early version with the downward-operating ejection seats.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:14:43 PM by Dalhousie »

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 11:57:10 PM »
Conversely most people found the Meteor a pleasure to fly, the only issues were the early versions, e.g. F3, were underpowered, and all were tricky to handle with one engine out.  But this was and is a feature of all aircraft with two widely spaced engines, because of asymmetric thrust.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 12:54:59 AM »

It certainly looked and this version was amazing was in the hands of a competent pilot. But 104's could be very nasty, especially the early version with the downward-operating ejection seats.

Yes, I only found out about those downward ejection seats fairly recently. What were they thinking?

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 06:37:13 AM »
Yes, I only found out about those downward ejection seats fairly recently. What were they thinking?
Problem clearing the fin with an upward ejection?
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »
Problem clearing the fin with an upward ejection?

That was the explanation for the downward operating seats on the B-52 forward crew.  The tail on the F-104 does not appear to be particularly high though compared to other contemporary and comparable aircraft in the US and elsewhere, so I wonder whether this was the real reason (although it appears on the  Wikipedia page for the F-104).