Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341702 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #975 on: January 20, 2016, 03:14:48 AM »
Would you buy a used car from this guy?
http://www.ukuva.co.uk/author.htm

I don't know about buying a used car, but I would be deeply suspicious of hiring him in a professional capacity. I'm not sure that I'd be terribly comfortable with a Chartered Accountant who appears to quite happily wibble on about chatting with ghosts.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #976 on: January 20, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »
His book contains a fair amount of wibbling on about accountancy, which doesn't bode well either.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #977 on: January 20, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »
His book contains a fair amount of wibbling on about accountancy, which doesn't bode well either.
I'm not up on web speak, I guess.  What are you indicating?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #978 on: January 20, 2016, 12:21:56 PM »
I'm indicating that Burns in his book rambles on about his accountancy career without suggesting how it applies in any way to the claims he makes.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #979 on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »
Ok, thanks for the clarification.  Would any accounting question concerning the Apollo program make any sense? Other than the amount that was spent versus how the money could have been used for more socially acceptable programs?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #980 on: January 20, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
I'm not up on web speak, I guess.  What are you indicating?

You're clearly not a Blackadder fan...
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #981 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
Clearly NOT.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #982 on: January 20, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »
Ok, thanks for the clarification.  Would any accounting question concerning the Apollo program make any sense? Other than the amount that was spent versus how the money could have been used for more socially acceptable programs?

Some have claimed that the vast sum spent on Apollo was simply pocketed by the contractors without having delivered anything substantial.  So I suppose forensic accounting would be relevant to that claim.  There were certainly claims that the money could have been better spent, but that's the case with any public funding question.  Neil Burns doesn't touch any of that.  When I say he talks about accounting, I mean he talks at length about his career as an accountant and brags about his skill at programming early personal computers to perform accounting tasks.  Understand that perhaps only 7 pages of his book actually talks about Apollo.  The rest is shameless ego-stroking for unrelated reasons.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #983 on: January 20, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »

Some have claimed that the vast sum spent on Apollo was simply pocketed by the contractors without having delivered anything substantial.  So I suppose forensic accounting would be relevant to that claim.  There were certainly claims that the money could have been better spent, but that's the case with any public funding question.  Neil Burns doesn't touch any of that.  When I say he talks about accounting, I mean he talks at length about his career as an accountant and brags about his skill at programming early personal computers to perform accounting tasks.  Understand that perhaps only 7 pages of his book actually talks about Apollo.  The rest is shameless ego-stroking for unrelated reasons.
Forensic accounting of the private companies, But hardly NASA, no smoking gun there.  Anyway I understand your evaluation of the booklet.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #984 on: July 07, 2017, 08:40:51 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I can't resist thinking, that this would be Buzz's look reading Neil's nonsense.

Buzz Aldrin's face when Donald Trump Jr. talks about space:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:43:40 AM by ineluki »

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #985 on: July 07, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
Sorry, did not realize this was a necro'd thread.  Deleted.