Author Topic: Curiosity fake...?  (Read 18629 times)

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
Re: Curiosity fake...?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »
What scale height did you use? I calculated a scale height of 20.58 km.

I got 20.65 km, so that's about right. So with the same surface density, 152 km on Titan would be equivalent to 56 km on Earth. Redoing my calculations, I get 152 km on Titan being equivalent to 45 km on Earth...looks like I did something wrong previously, but it's still far too low. Balloons would still work at that altitude.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: Curiosity fake...?
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »

Some of these numbskulls actually believe that ALL space-flight is faked because (apparently, according to those very same numbskulls) rockets don't work in a vacuum as they have no air to push against.

There's at least one guy (I know ka9q has gone a round or two with him) who insists that rockets cannot possibly work in space, based on his interpretation of Boyle's Law - the "infinite vacuum" of space would cause the propellants to expand out of the combustion chamber before they could ignite.

A new queen of Woo, huh? I guess Judy Wood finally has some competition.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz