Author Topic: What went wrong by mission  (Read 11406 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: What went wrong by mission
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
You can hear in the audio he's pretty contrite.

That was painful listening, I felt really sorry for Young and the guys back on Earth. No one really knew what to say.
Nope. You come over a quarter of a million miles to set up this millions of dollars, in then money, experiment and . . . you trip over one of cords, breaking it.  At least the  gold visor hides your face. :-[

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
Sorry, correction - the Gemini 8 mission attitude problem was in the Gemini itself, not the Agena.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 03:53:10 PM »
Gemini 5's fuel cells did not perform as expected, resulting in a lot of things being turned off and making meeting the '8 days or bust goal' uncertain.

Gemini 6 had a launch failure when the Titan shut down prematurely. I believe that was due to a dust cover being left in an engine component.

Gemini 9's EVA was aborted when Cernan's overexertion caused the visor to fog up so he was blinded, and a thermal protection layer on his suit tore, leaving him sunburned on his lower back.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »

I'm entering into the conspiracy mindset, a journey into the Twilight Zone

'Yeah, but they had to tell story so it did not look perfect, and this is an obvious anomaly in their story because if the centre engine cut off they would not have managed to make LEO.

Even that they get incorrect. One engine cutting off early is no issue...you just burn the other engines for longer.
Crap, Apollo 6 (the second unmanned Saturn V test) made it into orbit with two S-II engines out. A very near thing, and iirc the pogo issue would have forced an an abort on a manned mission, but it did stagger it's way into an ugly *** orbit.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »
http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/Ap10.html

Apollo 10:

Insulation in the docking tunnel had come loose earlier in the flight and clogged a vent; the incident had let the LM slip about 3.5° out of line with the CSM in its joined position.

A Guidance System Problem:

At the low point of the LM's second swing around the moon, Stafford and Cernan prepared for insertion into rendezvous orbit, a delicate maneuver using the LM's ascent engine, to bring them up for a rendezvous and docking with Young in the CSM. Before firing the ascent engine, the descent stage, with its power plant capable of a wide range of power settings controlled by the crew, had to be cast off. Just before the lower segment was cut loose, the LM gyrated. Stafford took manual control of the LM and restored the proper orientation. Then the descent stage was jettisoned, as planned, and the LM stabilized. The episode took some eight seconds.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
I seem to recall reading something about one of the astronauts losing a tool or some important piece of equipment on the moon. He thought he'd put it in a box (on the LRV?) but couldn't find it when he went to get it. Apparently they didn't want to spend too much precious time looking for it.

Anyone recall something like  that?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
I seem to recall reading something about one of the astronauts losing a tool or some important piece of equipment on the moon. He thought he'd put it in a box (on the LRV?) but couldn't find it when he went to get it. Apparently they didn't want to spend too much precious time looking for it.

Are you maybe thinking about the camera timer that Alan Bean and Pete Conrad brought to the Moon but couldn't find?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 04:47:11 PM »

Are you maybe thinking about the camera timer that Alan Bean and Pete Conrad brought to the Moon but couldn't find?

I think that is it, because it was Pete Conrad I was thinking of.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
I have a vague memory (damn, I hate getting old) of an internet page listing all the "anomalies" for all the Apollo missions...

I know I read it, but I don't know how to find it.

I keep thinking it was at the ALSJ, but can't find it there, either.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »
Each of the Preliminary Mission Reports contains a section on hardware anomalies.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
Each of the Preliminary Mission Reports contains a section on hardware anomalies.

Although I seem to remember it being all on one page, it is likely that it is the Mission reports that I am remembering.