Author Topic: Mars One  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Mars One
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:52:57 AM »
I've seen a couple of really good articles about why this whole idea is pie in the sky.  Cynical me wonders how much publicity the TV production company behind it is getting while in full knowledge that they won't really have to do the hard bit.

I wonder how long it will go on before it implodes.  I think it's a shame that so many really earnest people are being used this way, and at the same time I'm also a bit wistful - going to Mars would be awesome.  The idea reminds me of the Kim Stanley Robinson Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars books.  Really good fiction, but I think that is all it will be for a while.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Luther

• Venus
Re: Mars One
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 03:21:55 AM »
https://medium.com/matter/all-dressed-up-for-mars-and-nowhere-to-go-7e76df527ca0?src=longreads

From the article,

I am struck by Kraft’s absolute faith that this will all come off without a hitch, as though it can be made real just by believing in it.

I know another board where someone with that kind of absolute faith would fit right in.

But, the part that made all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place for me, was this:

He paid the registration fee

From Chris Hadfield:

You can’t just go to SpaceMart and buy those things.

LMAO

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:56:51 AM »
How brilliant would "SpaceMart" be?!  ;D

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:19:51 AM »
How brilliant would "SpaceMart" be?!  ;D

I think it would not be a "discount" shop!

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
I wish them well on this endeavor... if indeed said endeavor is in reality what Mars One is portraying it to be. But either way, I think the obstacles might well be to great for a start up outfit, whether they raise the $6 billion or not.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:27:59 AM »
I wish them well on this endeavor... if indeed said endeavor is in reality what Mars One is portraying it to be. But either way, I think the obstacles might well be too great for a start up outfit, whether they raise the $6 billion or not.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
I wish them well on this endeavor... if indeed said endeavor is in reality what Mars One is portraying it to be. But either way, I think the obstacles might well be to great for a start up outfit, whether they raise the $6 billion or not.
You really never know what you can accomplish until you try and occasionally people beat some very long odds. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett