Off Topic > General Discussion

The Trump Presidency

(1/415) > >>

LunarOrbit:
I'm starting a new thread to chronicle the corruption and bad decisions made by Trump and the Republican controlled Congress.

For starters: remember when Trump (and the Republican party) ran on the promise to "drain the swamp"? Remember when I expressed concern about Trump's behaviour and was told that "he didn't really mean the things he was saying", and even if he did there are "checks and balances" in place to prevent it? Well, ha ha, funny story...

With No Warning, House Republicans Vote to Gut Independent Ethics Office - NY Times

--- Quote ---"Republicans claim they want to 'drain the swamp,' but the night before the new Congress gets sworn in, the House G.O.P. has eliminated the only independent ethics oversight of their actions. Evidently, ethics are the first casualty of the new Republican Congress."

- Nancy Pelosi
--- End quote ---

Trump's behaviour is not an act, and he has shown that those "checks and balances" are working for him, not for the American public.

An independent ethics body has been gutted by Republicans, without debate or warning. This is not something you would do if your goal was to "drain the swamp", it's something you would do if you wanted to do unethical things without consequences.

Zakalwe:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/impeaching-trump_us_5869b806e4b0eb586489f3a4

LunarOrbit:
How much support from Republicans would impeachment need?

gillianren:
Enough for a majority in the House for impeachment and a supermajority in the Senate for conviction and removal from office.  So yeah, it's not going to happen, because the Republicans turn out to be perfectly content to roll over, regardless of the obvious corruption, treason, and general unfitness for office.

LunarOrbit:
That's what I was afraid of.

Maybe they will support impeachment if it means it will improve their own chances of re-election. Otherwise they might just get tossed out in two years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version