Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479025 times)

Offline Hal

• Mercury
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »
While I've always been skeptical of his claims of being a medical professional, I would not find it difficult to believe he has spent a substantial portion of his life in medical facilities, of one sort or another.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
I cannot reconcile his posts with my conception of anyone competent enough to get through medical school, but what I have seen online leads me to believe that he is a real MD. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »
I find this post at a University of Illinois at ask a physicist page to be very similar to what we have seen from fattydash and his "compatriots."

I was browsing the Cornell University Astronomy web site and I read in an answer to a question posed by a school teacher that one should be able to see stars from the lunar surface when looking up into the moon's sky "day or night" as there is no atmosphere. This made sense to me. So then I got curious and went to see what stars the Apollo astronauts were indeed able to see as I suspected one could see stars all the better with no atmosphere. Well I must say I found myself so very surprised to hear Neil Armstrong tell Patrick Moore in a 1970 BBC interview that the only objects one can see from the moon's surface in the lunar sky are the the planet earth and the sun. Neil Armstrong said in that interview, "THE SKY IS A DEEP BLACK WHEN VIEWED FROM THE MOON, AS IT IS WHEN VIEWED FROM CIS-LUNAR SPACE, THE SPACE BETWEEN THE EARTH AND THE MOON. THE EARTH IS THE ONLY VISIBLE OBJECT OTHER THAN THE SUN THAT CAN BE SEEN, ALTHOUGH THERE HAVE BEEN REPORTS OF SEEING PLANETS. I MYSELF DID NOT SEE PLANETS FROM THE SURFACE BUT I SUSPECT THEY MIGHT BE VISIBLE". So now I am very confused. The Cornell Astronomy Dept. people's answer to the teacher makes sense to me. But on the other hand, the Cornell astronomers have never been to the moon and maybe they are not as smart as they think they are. What is the correct "answer" if one could call it that? By the way, one can find the Neil Armstrong interview on You-Tube, just search "Neil Armstrong, BBC, 1970 interview, Patrick Moore". It is short and the stuff about not seeing stars is the first issue addressed. Thanks!!! Patrick Return to the form.
- Patrick Tekeli (age 53)
San Francisco, California, USA

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #258 on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
I find this post at a University of Illinois at ask a physicist page to be very similar to what we have seen from fattydash and his "compatriots."

I was browsing the Cornell University Astronomy web site and I read in an answer to a question posed by a school teacher that one should be able to see stars from the lunar surface when looking up into the moon's sky "day or night" as there is no atmosphere. This made sense to me. So then I got curious and went to see what stars the Apollo astronauts were indeed able to see as I suspected one could see stars all the better with no atmosphere. Well I must say I found myself so very surprised to hear Neil Armstrong tell Patrick Moore in a 1970 BBC interview that the only objects one can see from the moon's surface in the lunar sky are the the planet earth and the sun. Neil Armstrong said in that interview, "THE SKY IS A DEEP BLACK WHEN VIEWED FROM THE MOON, AS IT IS WHEN VIEWED FROM CIS-LUNAR SPACE, THE SPACE BETWEEN THE EARTH AND THE MOON. THE EARTH IS THE ONLY VISIBLE OBJECT OTHER THAN THE SUN THAT CAN BE SEEN, ALTHOUGH THERE HAVE BEEN REPORTS OF SEEING PLANETS. I MYSELF DID NOT SEE PLANETS FROM THE SURFACE BUT I SUSPECT THEY MIGHT BE VISIBLE". So now I am very confused. The Cornell Astronomy Dept. people's answer to the teacher makes sense to me. But on the other hand, the Cornell astronomers have never been to the moon and maybe they are not as smart as they think they are. What is the correct "answer" if one could call it that? By the way, one can find the Neil Armstrong interview on You-Tube, just search "Neil Armstrong, BBC, 1970 interview, Patrick Moore". It is short and the stuff about not seeing stars is the first issue addressed. Thanks!!! Patrick Return to the form.
- Patrick Tekeli (age 53)
San Francisco, California, USA
The Tiny H fanfic malarkey. Right.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #259 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:24 PM »
I cannot reconcile his posts with my conception of anyone competent enough to get through medical school, but what I have seen online leads me to believe that he is a real MD. 
Same here but he appears to be on "Garden leave".

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #260 on: September 18, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »
Same here but he appears to be on "Garden leave".
What does "Garden leave" mean?
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »

That URL doesn't refer to the University of Illinois ask a physicist page. It is the yelp review for a certain sock puppet liking MD many of us have become familiar with.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2012, 02:49:44 AM »

That URL doesn't refer to the University of Illinois ask a physicist page. It is the yelp review for a certain sock puppet liking MD many of us have become familiar with.
I think this is the one Echnaton meant to post.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2012, 06:39:25 AM »

I think this is the one Echnaton meant to post.
Yes, that is the intended link.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2012, 07:24:51 AM »
Well, now that the possible identity seems to be out of the bag, may I also post this.  Note who posted it (his supposed real name) and yet it is signed off as "DoctorTea", and it is very obviously from DrSocks.  Interestingly, his university seems to have changed from Vanderbilt to UC Berkeley...

And for some light 'entertainment' and a weirdly apt coincidence, try this little search game...

Use Google's VIDEO search to look up "San Francisco Serenade".
You'll get quite a few matches relating to "Bad Astronaut"..  ignore those as that is an Indie band, NOT another sockpuppet.  Cute coincidence, huh?

But now, look closely at the very next link after those (might want to turn the volume down if you follow it - it is not particularly sonorous..).

Anyone we know?  :D

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2012, 07:54:54 AM »
Anyone we know?  :D

He looks like a younger version of this guy

"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
From the video link:

Excellent performance, lads, especially from two guys who have lived in Marin for parts of their lives.The guitar player especially has ties w/Marin. But all is forgiven, boys, nice song and Patrick has a very nice soft singing voice that is a joy to listen to.

If that guy is indeed Dr Socks, it's a pity his posts weren't an excellent performance and a joy to read.

For some reason, ever since seeing his early posts that mentioned his job, I always pictured him wearing blue overalls and tatty, brown-leather boots with the laces barely tied, carrying a bucket and mop, and, during the the occasional break, posting furiously at ApolloHoax from a large broom cupboard.  Dunno why!

He looks like a younger version of this guy

True. Also like the slightly eccentric Dr Brackish Okun (played by Brent Spiner) at Area 51 in "Independence Day."

He's the guy who says to the President, "...they don't let us out much," and then shows him the big tamale and "the freak show."  He meets a sticky end courtesy of one of the aliens but, unlike Dr Socks, could at least could admit, "You know, you're really starting to make us look bad."

See, I always felt that that movie was capable of making a useful point at ApolloHoax.  It just took a long time.  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:40:03 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
Hmmm... not a sextant in sight.

I'd started to develop a feeling that he was a MUCH older man, like past retirement age and getting a wee bit dotty.  That seems less likely now.

On the other hand, who do you suppose posted that favorable review?  Who could have done that?  Let me think, could it be...

...SATAN???

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2012, 07:17:31 AM »
DoctorSocks is real, but as far as my investigation went, appears to have been put on enforced leave of some kind. Personally, I favour the "Doc on the Rocks" hypothesis, a breakdown of some sort. I backed off the investigation once mental illness became an aspect, but I could rekindle my contact with various SF clinics.
Interesting - sounds very plasuible from what I've uncovered.  I know who you are hinting at, but may I impertinently ask (pm would be fine), did you find anything that *positively* identified him to be that particular person?  I've seen posts where Drsocks mentioned said person, and also ones where he used said person's name as his online identity..  But that still leaves the (slim) possibility that he is simply pointing readers AT that identity as part of his games.

So I'm wondering if anyone has directly contacted said person to get the confirmation, or verified it in some other way...?

Of course, if he ISN'T said person, then said person needs to be fully informed and take whatever action he sees fit..

Ummm.. did all that make any sense? :D
I rang two places and got the runaround from HR to Legal. All I did was ask for him by name.