Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 478882 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #240 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Among the items that led me to believe our Dr Socks was he same as the California physician was a physician review web site where the one patient review was too complementary.  Not only of his skill, but of his person.  It struck me as being convincingly similar to Dr Socks' self referential sock puppets.  Another observation that convinced me were the obvious resourcefulness to find and bring new information into his "arguments" when challenged.  Misinterpreted and misused no doubt, but he is obviously good at finding information and is a quick reader.  There also one web site for a physician group that that claims a doctor with that name as an employee and the photo matches Dr Socks' general age group.   Dr Socks just seems too dedicated to be a teen troll, dedicated to the point of an unhealthy obsession.

Based on my earlier feeling, I've started a Google alert on his name. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:11:51 AM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
DoctorSocks is real, but as far as my investigation went, appears to have been put on enforced leave of some kind. Personally, I favour the "Doc on the Rocks" hypothesis, a breakdown of some sort. I backed off the investigation once mental illness became an aspect, but I could rekindle my contact with various SF clinics.
Interesting - sounds very plasuible from what I've uncovered.  I know who you are hinting at, but may I impertinently ask (pm would be fine), did you find anything that *positively* identified him to be that particular person?  I've seen posts where Drsocks mentioned said person, and also ones where he used said person's name as his online identity..  But that still leaves the (slim) possibility that he is simply pointing readers AT that identity as part of his games.

So I'm wondering if anyone has directly contacted said person to get the confirmation, or verified it in some other way...?

Of course, if he ISN'T said person, then said person needs to be fully informed and take whatever action he sees fit..

Ummm.. did all that make any sense? :D
No all the folks I spoke to in SF used very "careful" language.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Yes, that made sense. I googled the person in question and noticed something interesting. There were three or four pages of internet "yellow pages" listings, then practically nothing. No photo of him and his wife at the Opera's Black & White ball. No announcement that he had been named a trustee at his church. No angry letter to an editor about the rising cost of malpractice insurance. No speech at the rotary club. No daughter being named class valedictorian. No Facebook photo of him at a friend's wedding. Doctors lead carefully managed social lives; they are expected to be "pillars of the community." Outside of playing jazz in his brother's basement, the doctor in question appears to have no social life. ...
Did you see his Facebook page?  It was yanked down right around the time he ran his mouth too much about a fancy bicycle.

Insert here the usual disclaimers about not revealing his suspected real identity openly.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
Yes, that made sense. I googled the person in question and noticed something interesting. There were three or four pages of internet "yellow pages" listings, then practically nothing. No photo of him and his wife at the Opera's Black & White ball. No announcement that he had been named a trustee at his church. No angry letter to an editor about the rising cost of malpractice insurance. No speech at the rotary club. No daughter being named class valedictorian. No Facebook photo of him at a friend's wedding. Doctors lead carefully managed social lives; they are expected to be "pillars of the community." Outside of playing jazz in his brother's basement, the doctor in question appears to have no social life. ...
Did you see his Facebook page?  It was yanked down right around the time he ran his mouth too much about a fancy bicycle.

Insert here the usual disclaimers about not revealing his suspected real identity openly.
I still have that image. DocSocks carefully editted for anonymity, forgetting that the original was still out on the interwebs.

Offline DJW001

• Mercury
« Reply #244 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »
Among the items that led me to believe our Dr Socks was he same as the California physician was a physician review web site where the one patient review was too complementary.  Not only of his skill, but of his person.

You mean "Tiny H?" What starts with H and rhymes with "tiny?" She also reviewed Ka Ka's Asian Noodle House. Oh, brother.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #245 on: September 17, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
Among the items that led me to believe our Dr Socks was he same as the California physician was a physician review web site where the one patient review was too complementary.  Not only of his skill, but of his person.

You mean "Tiny H?" What starts with H and rhymes with "tiny?" She also reviewed Ka Ka's Asian Noodle House. Oh, brother.
He has gone dark. I wonder if that is a result of the searchlight placed upon him?

ETA: Also, he has ceased his posting at JREF for now, and also has ceased his PM's to me. For now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:46:56 PM by Abaddon »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #246 on: September 17, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »
He has gone dark. I wonder if that is a result of the searchlight placed upon him?

Or perhaps the result of a certified letter that has been or soon will be delivered to his address of record from a San Francisco law firm.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #247 on: September 17, 2012, 03:48:32 PM »
I noticed he is using the sock "RobertStills" to argue with another one of his socks.  "Robert" is saying that Apollo 11 did land on the Moon. 

ETA: So he hasn't stopped completely; he's still ranting on the Economist web site in the comments sections for the Neil Armstrong obituary and the "Mitt Romney, Apollo, boondoggle" column.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:50:10 PM by sts60 »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »

That is the one.  I hadn't made the connection to the various "heiny" posters over at the Economist.  This certainly  is confirming evidence. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline slang

• Venus
« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
[...] various SF clinics.

I really like reading science fiction. I never figured it to be something I might get sent to clinic for.

Offline scooter

• Venus
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
You folks are way ahead of me on this drama...

Long ago over at JREF, I thought I'd seen a link to a youTube video by Patrick1000, or did I just imagine that? To be honest, I couldn't stomach wading through that mess trying to find it.

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #251 on: September 18, 2012, 12:23:11 AM »
There are plenty on his YouTube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/TotallyStokedDude

Offline scooter

• Venus
« Reply #252 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #253 on: September 18, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
I wonder, is he an actual physician, or did he buy a qualification, or is he a doctor of something unrelated, or focused in one small area?  Perhaps he's a proctologist, that might explain the obsessions.
Those medical errors bother me, surely even a doctor on the rocks wouldn't get the thing about Shepard's Meniere's wrong.   I suppose he could have been bluffing and hoping no one would pick him up on it, his ego would make him think that that would work.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:54:13 PM by Drewid »

Offline DJW001

• Mercury
« Reply #254 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »
I wonder, is he an actual physician, or did he buy a qualification, or is he a doctor of something unrelated, or focused in one small area?  Perhaps he's a proctologist, that might explain the obsessions.
Those medical errors bother me, surely even a doctor on the rocks wouldn't get the thing about Shepard's Meniere's wrong.   I suppose he could have been bluffing and hoping no one would pick him up on it, his ego would make him think that that would work.

Yes, that's the crux of the problem. He knows nothing about medicine, its practice and its culture. He misuses words and lacks the critical thinking necessary to make even the simplest diagnoses. His language skills are abominable. If he ever did qualify as a physician, he must have undergone a massive head trauma to account for his current lack of skills.