Author Topic: Gardum's thread  (Read 39177 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Gardum's thread
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
We also had a letter from Hasselblad in regards to the photographic equipment and can't use that as proof as I don't have a copy.

Well, some people did contact Hasselblad and here are some of the replies:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/9214-debunking-duane/?do=findComment&comment=92114

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/5911-jack-whites-aulis-apollo-hoax-investigation-a-rebuttal/?do=findComment&comment=54993

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2017, 06:16:42 PM »
People here seem to pick on not enough line breaks then to many where is the Goldilocks faq so that I get it just right ?

You miss the point, and in doing so illustrate perfectly the way in which you are missing it.

You wouldn't attempt a calculation while using whatever random operations were closest to hand. You wouldn't attempt to write a computer program using random punctuation and whitespace. So why would you try to present an argument in discussion without trying to write in a clear way using generally agreed-upon rules?

And yet this is only half of it. If you were to attempt a calculation but had no idea whether you needed to multiply or divide in any particular step, then you'd get the wrong results. If you attempted to write a computer program but had no clear idea about which things needed to be assigned, compared, converted to strings, or otherwise processed -- that is, no idea of what the logic and purpose of each line was -- it would never work.

If you can not say it clearly, the most likely reason is that your thoughts are not clear. You fumble your way forwards with rambling sentences and no organization because the thoughts are rambling and disorganized.

And that's why few here want to respond to you.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
Seriously, too, being cognizant of spelling and grammatical errors isn't evidence of immaturity.  Proofreading is a technical skill, one for which I've been paid.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2017, 07:11:07 PM »
Seriously, too, being cognizant of spelling and grammatical errors isn't evidence of immaturity.  Proofreading is a technical skill, one for which I've been paid.

Nonetheless, if Gardum expects a clear and honest debate then I would at least expect his prose to meet the minimum standards of someone who has learned Elementary School Communications English. His postings so far haven't even come close to that.

When I spoke earlier about dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t"s I wasn't speaking  about grammar I was speaking metaphorically. If Gardum wishes to make claims, then those claims must be accompanied by detail and evidence, otherwise they will be summarily dismissed. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:14:25 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2017, 07:16:30 AM »

No, but it is an indication of education and ability. We aren't talking about proofreading, we are talking about being able to frame a point clearly. If an interlocutor cannot frame a question in a coherent manner then its an indication of their knowledge on the subject.
Gardum hasn't managed to pose a decent question. What he's done is burst in and rattled off a load of nonsense in broken, semi-intelligible English, mixed in a load of childish insults and then waffled on about his hobbies. That, for me, is a very clear indication of the type of person that we are dealing with. We are not talking about someone that has misspelt a word or two, after all.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »
Gardum accused people of being childish for noticing his errors.  My point is that it is hardly childish to have such a skill.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
Gardum accused people of being childish for noticing his errors.  My point is that it is hardly childish to have such a skill.

Ahh..I'm with you now. I misunderstood the point that you were making. Mea culpa.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
People here seem to pick on not enough line breaks then to many where is the Goldilocks faq so that I get it just right ?

You miss the point, and in doing so illustrate perfectly the way in which you are missing it.

You wouldn't attempt a calculation while using whatever random operations were closest to hand. You wouldn't attempt to write a computer program using random punctuation and whitespace. So why would you try to present an argument in discussion without trying to write in a clear way using generally agreed-upon rules?

And yet this is only half of it. If you were to attempt a calculation but had no idea whether you needed to multiply or divide in any particular step, then you'd get the wrong results. If you attempted to write a computer program but had no clear idea about which things needed to be assigned, compared, converted to strings, or otherwise processed -- that is, no idea of what the logic and purpose of each line was -- it would never work.

If you can not say it clearly, the most likely reason is that your thoughts are not clear. You fumble your way forwards with rambling sentences and no organization because the thoughts are rambling and disorganized.

And that's why few here want to respond to you.

I think he's unused to people taking him seriously enough to read what he writes, if writing is the word for what he has posted here. That first post was simply unreadable. How one can attain the age of 61 without learning basic writing and other communication skills (e.g. white space, truthfulness, and politesse) is beyond me.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 05:07:48 AM »
I see that if you aren't here sitting patiently to wait for a reply they call you a one poster ?

Oh please, not another whiner...

You came here to overthrow accepted history, you should have your evidence ready, and you should be eager to deliver it.

Offline sandopan

• Venus
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
Gardum accused people of being childish for noticing his errors.

If that's true, I can't find it in any of the three posts s/he has made.

Can you point out where this accusation is to be found?
Don't commit terrorism.  Washington hates competition.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
Gardum accused people of being childish for noticing his errors.

If that's true, I can't find it in any of the three posts s/he has made.

Can you point out where this accusation is to be found?

Any scientists here or just children that pick on line breaks or grammar ?

From the responses I see I get the impression most of you are more the Children and whining little suckers at that, we aren't at school any more so please try and grow up or don't bother responding if all you can do is petty age games.

Not sure how you failed to see these.

Offline sandopan

• Venus
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
Not sure how you failed to see these.

I did not fail to see these quotes.

Perhaps you have misunderstood me.  I am looking for where "Gardum accused people of being childish for noticing his errors".  I am not looking for places where s/he does not make such an accusation.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
You don't see that "children that pick on line breaks or grammar" is saying you're childish for noticing?  Okay.

Offline sandopan

• Venus
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »
You don't see that "children that pick on line breaks or grammar" is saying you're childish for noticing?  Okay.

So that makes at least two people at this board who seem to be incapable of distinguishing between noticing something and picking on someone for something, and one of them claims to have worked as a proofreader.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2017, 01:04:46 PM »

So that makes at least two people at this board who seem to be incapable of distinguishing between noticing something and picking on someone for something, and one of them claims to have worked as a proofreader.

I guess that you are getting into semantics a bit. "Picking on" generally means criticizing or punishing someone repeatedly. Gardum has made three posts (all of which contain insults to the members of this board, by the way), so he can't really be accused of picking on someone. However, it is Gardum that is complaining of being picked on.  Gillianren has already quoted the line, so there's no point in re-quoting it.

To be honest, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?