Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 831756 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1290 on: March 04, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »
NASA doesn't pay enough.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1291 on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »

Dude. Dolph Lundgren is very, very smart.

I know, I was meaning more his "typecast" persona than him personally.

Of course, we shouldn't judge actors by the roles they play; I'm sure Arnie is smart too!

Hmmm. Now there s a thought!!
Apparently one reason he did Junior was because he got to be a scientist and that was one career he had wanted to get into before he got into body-building.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #1292 on: March 05, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »

It's a trap...
Just imagine Lundgren, being 17 years younger than Buzz Aldrin (at the time of his confrontation with BS), weighing more and having a Martial Arts background doing his version of "Aldrin vs Sibrel". I'd almost pay money to see it...

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #1293 on: March 05, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »

It's a trap...
Just imagine Lundgren, being 17 years younger than Buzz Aldrin (at the time of his confrontation with BS), weighing more and having a Martial Arts background doing his version of "Aldrin vs Sibrel". I'd almost pay money to see it...

I'd pay money to make it happen.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1294 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
Another clown is Daggerstab. She thinks you can take long exposure photos when travelling at 7,500 m/s speed around Earth.

Nope, not clown. An assassin. Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre! :D

My username is a link leading to the picture I commented on in my last post. Its caption has evolved somewhat since the last time:
Above NASA "long exposure" photo (http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/573233main_image_2014_946-710.jpg) shows the space shuttle Atlantis, appearing like a bean sprout against clouds and city lights, on its way home braking through the atmosphere, as outlined above and below. It was allegedly long exposured taken by the Expedition 28 crew of the International Space Station. Airglow over Earth can be seen in the background if you have sharp eyes. I can just see clouds. The photo does not look real in my view, i.e. it is another NASA fake.

One of my ex NASA PR-agents Daggerstab wonders "Ever heard of "long exposure", Björkman?" He is another stupid NASA SF writer trying to make ends meet in Arizona! Try to make a long exposure of Earth below photo from a space vehicle at 7 500 m/s speed? Thanks for the PR!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Björkman, I find it curious that of all things written in my last post, you took issue only with the "long exposure" jab.

It obviously hit home. He now notes in brackets that the exposure was 1 second.

Does this mean that you agree with everything else? And no word about my challenge? To repeat it: Why don't you contact the scientists and engineers that designed and built the Ariane 5 and ask them if Apollo/Saturn was real?

I'm curious to know myself.

And what exactly is the problem with making a long exposure photo in low Earth orbit? I found a copy of the photo in a place that conserves EXIF metadata - http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-135/html/iss028e018218.html According to my EXIF reader, the exposure time was 1 second, which counts as "long" in my book. :)

Because...because it's a second long, dude! And they were moving fast. And so was the Shuttle...

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #1295 on: March 05, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
Wonder what he'd make of the notion of the Hubble deep field. Hours of exposure from orbit....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1296 on: March 05, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
Wonder what he'd make of the notion of the Hubble deep field. Hours of exposure from orbit....

Days of exposure actually. The Ultra Deep Field was was even longer with 267 hours total exposure.

I wonder how he thinks that astronomers take long exposure photos from Earth? After all, the earth is rotating at1670 km per hour at the Equator....
Mind you, he's already shown that he knows nothing about telescopes.

Yes, the ISS is fake. NASA informs me regularly when the ISS passes above my roof terrace at dusk 5-7 pm (sun below west horizon) in 3-4 minutes and, I agree, something, a light dot, is passing at the given times. I have seen it many times. But the 100 m across ISS is a 400 000 m altitude and cannot be seen by naked eye. I have tried with binocular w/o success. Telescope? Doubt it. Object moves too quickly. Photos of it being the ISS published are fake.

I would like him to explain to me how I took this image of M31.

6 hours total exposure, 6 minute individual sub-exposures.
I must have faked it too.....

He [Bjorkman] really is a special class of idiot, isn't he?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #1297 on: March 05, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
I would like him to explain to me how I took this image of M31.

6 hours total exposure, 6 minute individual sub-exposures.
I must have faked it too.....

He [Bjorkman] really is a special class of idiot, isn't he?

Pretty impressive - especially when you consider how fast we're travelling :D

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1298 on: March 05, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
Apparently one reason he did Junior was because he got to be a scientist and that was one career he had wanted to get into before he got into body-building.
I've been known to lift a weight or two.  Kinda surprises some people.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #1299 on: March 05, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
I've been known to lift a weight or two.  Kinda surprises some people.

Once I realized that, by definition, you were a polymath, I ceased being surprised by anything you do/know.

That was intended as a compliment.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1300 on: March 05, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »
I keep telling people, the hardest part of the "everyone is ignorant of something" explanation is finding new and different things of which Jay is ignorant.  There just aren't all that many of them.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1301 on: March 05, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »
I keep telling people, the hardest part of the "everyone is ignorant of something" explanation is finding new and different things of which Jay is ignorant.  There just aren't all that many of them.

Let's try this:  Jay, what is significant about an Alco 4-8-8-4?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1302 on: March 05, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Well, let's see...  4-8-8-4 looks like Whyte code for a locomotive, and the only one of that size I know is the Big Boy.  Assuming I'm right, I wouldn't know which of the several things about that locomotive is the one you're thinking of.

(My grandfather was a fireman on the D&RG back in the day.  He got me many, many cab rides.)

ETA:  Naturally, to be fair, I wrote the above without any external reference or Googling.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:19:35 PM by JayUtah »
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #1303 on: March 05, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
Well, let's see...  4-8-8-4 looks like Whyte code for a locomotive, and the only one of that size I know is the Big Boy.  Assuming I'm right, I wouldn't know which of the several things about that locomotive is the one you're thinking of.

Apparently there were 2 classes of "Big Boy".

...and yes, I did have to google to "discover" that.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1304 on: March 06, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

(My grandfather was a fireman on the D&RG back in the day.  He got me many, many cab rides.)

ETA:  Naturally, to be fair, I wrote the above without any external reference or Googling.

Hell, an aerospace engineer that knows that much is already a Renaissance man!

OK -without Googling:  Simple or compound (or Mallet)?