Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 832386 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1305 on: March 06, 2013, 01:20:56 AM »
I would like him to explain to me how I took this image of M31.

6 hours total exposure, 6 minute individual sub-exposures.
I must have faked it too.....

He [Bjorkman] really is a special class of idiot, isn't he?

Pretty impressive - especially when you consider how fast we're travelling :D

Not to mention how fast M31 is travelling!! M1 and M31 are closing in on each other at a speed fast enough to travel from Earth to the Moon in about 58 minutes!!!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1306 on: March 06, 2013, 02:41:49 AM »
Not to mention how fast M31 is travelling!! M1 and M31 are closing in on each other at a speed fast enough to travel from Earth to the Moon in about 58 minutes!!!

No doubt Bjorkmann will use that as proof that I faked it....
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #1307 on: March 06, 2013, 08:07:52 AM »
Björkman has updated his page several times since my last post. :D I won't bother making diffs for some time, though. Let's see what stew he will cook. (Looks promising - one of the last additions is a paragraph that sounds like the usual introductions on the rationale of staged rockets, but with reversed direction. :D )

Oh, and after Björkman couldn't decide whether I am "he" or "she", he has settled for "it".  :-| And Zakalwe is the next forum member to make his hate list.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #1308 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
Glad I've company. It was lonely at the top.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1309 on: March 06, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
Hell, an aerospace engineer that knows that much is already a Renaissance man!

Thanks, I do have many interests so that's been how people who know me personally tend to refer to me.

OK -without Googling:  Simple or compound (or Mallet)?

The Big Boy?  Mallet -- but if memory serves, not a traditional Mallet.  Definitely articulated in one way or another, though.  And I think you are supposed to be able to tell which kind from the Whyte notation.

Here's a couple of my personal photographs, cab rides on both:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/clavius_examples/gcrr_2-8-2.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/clavius_examples/dsng_2-8-1.jpg

(The URL on the second one is a typo, not a misclassification)
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1310 on: March 06, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »
Apparently, linking to him yesterday rankled him. :D

I should add him to the Clavius hall of shame.  That should blow his gaskets.

Why don't you contact the scientists and engineers that designed and built the Ariane 5 and ask them if Apollo/Saturn was real?

Or if Arianes 1 through 4 were also fake.  Many of the same engineers who worked on the 5 must have worked on those other models.

According to my EXIF reader, the exposure time was 1 second, which counts as "long" in my book. :)

My rule of thumb is that if you can hear two distinct clicks -- the shutter opening and the shutter closing -- it's a "long" exposure.  For the purposes of this argument, one second is definitely a long exposure if Anders alleges something like the photo should have been blurred by orbital speed.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1311 on: March 06, 2013, 01:16:32 PM »

Zakalwe is the next forum member to make his hate list.

<blushes, trips over ballgown, flutters speach notes nervously> I love you all so much.....I wanna thank my producer, the milkman, the garbage man, the bloke down the newsagents.....   ;D

It also appears that I'm ex-NASA too! Whats the pension scheme like for us ex-NASA, gubernmint shills then? ;)

He really is a weapons-grade bell-end, isn't he?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:18:48 PM by Zakalwe »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #1312 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »
According to https://sites.google.com/site/wtc7lies/home/anders-bjorkman-s-world...

Björkman has been nominated for the JREF forum "Stundie," an award for the looniest conspiracist statement of the month, far more times than anyone, and has been voted the "winner" several times. His avoidance of mountains of facts and expertise, his complete ignorance of the most basic engineering concepts, and his insistence that special laws of physics apply in his world, are perhaps surpassed only by the inimitable Judy "Star Wars Beams" Wood.

There follows a link to http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=4503873&postcount=1942 which I note was posted in 2009.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1313 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
According to https://sites.google.com/site/wtc7lies/home/anders-bjorkman-s-world...

Björkman has been nominated for the JREF forum "Stundie," an award for the looniest conspiracist statement of the month, far more times than anyone, and has been voted the "winner" several times. His avoidance of mountains of facts and expertise, his complete ignorance of the most basic engineering concepts, and his insistence that special laws of physics apply in his world, are perhaps surpassed only by the inimitable Judy "Star Wars Beams" Wood.

There follows a link to http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=4503873&postcount=1942 which I note was posted in 2009.

He won the January Stundies: February Stundie Awards Finals - JREF Forum

for this post in this very thread: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1314 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Hell, an aerospace engineer that knows that much is already a Renaissance man!

Thanks, I do have many interests so that's been how people who know me personally tend to refer to me.

OK -without Googling:  Simple or compound (or Mallet)?

The Big Boy?  Mallet -- but if memory serves, not a traditional Mallet.  Definitely articulated in one way or another, though.  And I think you are supposed to be able to tell which kind from the Whyte notation.

Here's a couple of my personal photographs, cab rides on both:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/clavius_examples/gcrr_2-8-2.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/clavius_examples/dsng_2-8-1.jpg

(The URL on the second one is a typo, not a misclassification)

No t-shirt because this is a bit outside your specific expertise:  Big Boys were (or are, since most are on display and not scrapped) simple engines.  Mallets first use high pressure steam (usually in the rear engine) and then the exhaust runs the front engine as low pressure steam before going out the stack.  Not fast locomotives, but they could lug tonnage.  The N&W Y- series were classics in this regard, being used as helpers going up grade.

The UP 4000 series were simple locomotives - both engines used high pressure steam directly from the boiler.  They were faster (I think the Big Boys were good for 70 MPH) and could still haul a lot of tonnage. 

In either case, they are articulated.  For the uninitiated, articulated steam locomotives are those that are so long that they "bend" around curves - essentially two locomotives under one boiler.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1315 on: March 07, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
Succinctly, that's exactly the confusion I was trying to express.  "Compounding" a steam engine (i.e., using steam over and over again until its pressure is thoroughly exhausted) is a common device in large steam engines, and every engineer learns those techniques.  They're more appropriate to large ship engines -- e.g., the "triple expansion" designs, but I was aware the principle had been used in steam locomotives.  I just wasn't exactly sure to what extent.

That the Big Boy was articulated goes without saying.  You can't wrap something that long around a curved track without it.  I knew for a fact of the articulation, but I was unsure whether the Mallet design required both the articulation and the compounding.  Hence my guess as "Mallet" (for the articulation) but not the traditional kind (because I wasn't sure about the compounding).

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #1316 on: March 16, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Björkman is still at it - the last update was today, apparently. Nothing particularly amusing to warrant a diff. He still hasn't learned anything about rocket engines and orbital mechanics. There are minor expansions and embellishments, and a few new paragraphs - he has reproduced some kind of prayer for Apollo. Based on the Ariane 5, he has managed to "calculate" that "to put 1 kg pay load in LEO you need 46.25 kg fuel!" From that he calculates that the Shuttle would need 3 750 tons of fuel to reach LEO. In addition to Apollo and the Shuttle, there are also changes to the other sections, concerning the Soyuz and a strange jab about the MSL skycrane.

And he still hasn't asked the creators of the Ariane 5 if they think that Apollo/Saturn couldn't perform as advertised.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1317 on: March 17, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »
I'd like the hear Heiwa explaining this video, seeing as how the ISS is fake and all....

Offline ipearse

• Venus
  • There is no such thing as a stupid question
« Reply #1318 on: March 17, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
A wonderful video, thanks for putting up that link.
"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but we cannot live in the cradle forever" - Konstantin Tsiolkovski

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1319 on: March 17, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »
I'd like the hear Heiwa explaining this video, seeing as how the ISS is fake and all...
It's all shot underwater! And it's not really Williams but an imposter wearing a mask!

(Apologies to anyone not a fan of Hunchbacked/Inquisitivemind...)