Author Topic: Fake PLSS?  (Read 8203 times)

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
Fake PLSS?
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:12:50 AM »
Does anyone know what the object next to the footpad is in this Apollo 15 photo:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a15/AS15-87-11840HR.jpg

Maybe it carried replacement LiOH canisters for the PLSSs? The latest hoaxnut claim is that it's a 'continuity error' - an accidental 3rd PLSS on a fake moon set. There's a similar object just beyond it too. I've seen similar objects in Apollo 16 & 17 photos too.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
Re: Fake PLSS?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
A sample container?
The one in the background seems to have a lid and handle.
Not sure why they would assume its a PLSS, looks nothing like one. And is the wrong size and shape.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:42 AM »
A sample container?
The one in the background seems to have a lid and handle.
Not sure why they would assume its a PLSS, looks nothing like one. And is the wrong size and shape.
I'm sure why it is called a PLSS, that fits  into his beliefs that the Moon  landings were faked. 
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:10:06 AM »
Shape and size looks like a match to the LiOH containers for the LM's CO2-scrubbers.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:37:35 AM »
Does anyone know what the object next to the footpad is in this Apollo 15 photo:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a15/AS15-87-11840HR.jpg

Maybe it carried replacement LiOH canisters for the PLSSs? The latest hoaxnut claim is that it's a 'continuity error' - an accidental 3rd PLSS on a fake moon set. There's a similar object just beyond it too. I've seen similar objects in Apollo 16 & 17 photos too.
At the start of EVA 2 they unloaded pallet 2 which carried spare LiOH canisters. Stowage for those, perhaps?

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
I've heard this claim made a while ago by some nut or other, can't remember where. NASA so stupid leaving their used props around the place etc etc etc.

I'm sure there is proof of it out there somewhere on TV, but yes at the start of EVA-2 there is discussion about transferring LiOH cannisters. Here's a couple of images of them:

and you can see one in the background just behind the first cannister container.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
You can see a LiOH canister just to the right of the nearest object. I think that the guess of being the spare LiOH canister stowage from the MESA is correct.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
It's also worth pointing out to anyone making the claim that this is what a PLSS actually looks like inside:

From here:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/plss.html

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:43 PM »
In the Apollo photo is that one of the LiOH canisters just behind it? It does look the same.
It would make sense if they have changed a canister and left the used there.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:15:36 PM »
I've heard this claim made a while ago by some nut or other, can't remember where. NASA so stupid leaving their used props around the place etc etc etc.

I'm sure there is proof of it out there somewhere on TV, but yes at the start of EVA-2 there is discussion about transferring LiOH cannisters. Here's a couple of images of them:
and you can see one in the background just behind the first cannister container.

The top one is obviously for the LM's system. The bottom one looks much shorter. The PLSS photo shows the LiOH cannister to have the same relative dimensions as the one for the LM's system. What is the second LiOH cannister for?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »

The top one is obviously for the LM's system. The bottom one looks much shorter. The PLSS photo shows the LiOH cannister to have the same relative dimensions as the one for the LM's system. What is the second LiOH cannister for?

Good question - I just reverse searched the image and 'LM' and 'CM' both came up as uses. I was more concerned with the external pattern on it as a means of identifying the object in the picture than its  dimensions!

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 02:43:19 AM »
Thanks for all your input, guys.
Conclusion: the object is the MESA storage pallet which held items such as replacement LiOH canisters and batteries for the PLSSs. Also food etc. At the end of EVA-1 the astronauts would get the pallet out of the MESA and take it up to the cabin, put the stuff inside, and throw the pallet out the door. Inside the LM before EVA-2 they'd swap out the LiOH canisters and batteries, and the old ones would go out the door at the start of the EVA. There was also a (larger) replacement LiOH canister for the LM environmental control system which went up the ladder at the same time as the pallet. Whole process repeated at the end of EVA-2 with another pallet from the MESA.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 02:59:49 AM »
Sounds right :)

I also find a training image on this site:

http://www.ninfinger.org/karld/My%20Space%20Museum/mesa.htm

labelled 'J series MESA'. There's an object shown on it that looks very like what we're seeing, so I superimposed the Apollo image:

Looks pretty conclusive :)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
Sounds right :)

I also find a training image on this site:

http://www.ninfinger.org/karld/My%20Space%20Museum/mesa.htm

labelled 'J series MESA'. There's an object shown on it that looks very like what we're seeing, so I superimposed the Apollo image:

Looks pretty conclusive :)
Well that nails it. It's the same object from front or side in either pic