Author Topic: I cracked the government-big pharma vaccine conspiracy  (Read 26534 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: I cracked the government-big pharma vaccine conspiracy
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 06:53:17 AM »
Although she has had a recurrence of breast cancer and thankfully is seeing a physician rather than seeking naturopathic treatments.

Unfortunate news. We've just heard that the S-in-L has rejected chemotherapy for a more "natural" approach as taught by her training.  While rejecting chemo can be a rational choice, she is far too young for the choice to be made on "I've lived a good long life and expect to be dead in soon either way." Doing so for naturopathic reasons is not rational.  Any more that rejecting vaccines is rational. The motivations for either are not really comprehensible to me. Alas, rational is not always enough.

I have a friend whose mother died of cancer very quickly and painfully after deciding on the 'green tea and making my body less acid' snake oil approach. He gets very, very angry at people who promote that kind of choice at the expense of tried and tested but (as I know from experience) aggressive, unpleasant and life altering treatments that do actually work.

My cancer treatments cost the NHS hundreds of thousands of pounds. A vaccine against the HPV that triggered it costs a few pence. Who's making the money there?

Still on vaccines, I recently posted this on facebook in a vaccination discussion:

It was originally posted in a local history group entirely unrelated to the topic, but I suggested people opposed to vaccination read the caption and think about the implications.

I'm off to Vietnam and Cambodia later this year. I look forward to getting my jabs to stop me getting some of the illnesses that are endemic. I am tempted to photograph the procedure so I can make the anti-vaccine  crowd froth at the mouth!

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
Well, apparently Washington State vaccination rates are currently skyrocketing as all the "vaccine hesitant" parents weigh the costs of their kids' actually getting measles in our current outbreak and decide, yeah, vaccine, please.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
Well, apparently Washington State vaccination rates are currently skyrocketing as all the "vaccine hesitant" parents weigh the costs of their kids' actually getting measles in our current outbreak and decide, yeah, vaccine, please.

Better late than never.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Online Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 03:15:20 AM »

Better late than never.

Interesting thought which just occurred to me...I wouldn't be surprised if drug companies wished vaccines lasted for only a few years or so, so they could keep selling them over and over.

But I also wonder how many parents also wished vaccines lasted only a few years or so, so they only need to have the vaccine "in their system" until the latest scare was over.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »

Interesting thought which just occurred to me...I wouldn't be surprised if drug companies wished vaccines lasted for only a few years or so, so they could keep selling them over and over.

But I also wonder how many parents also wished vaccines lasted only a few years or so, so they only need to have the vaccine "in their system" until the latest scare was over.
Vaccines do often have a limited useful life, since viruses and bacteria evolve tremendously fast, hence the flu shot, for example.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »
Good news. My nephew got his MMR. I'm having a commemorative T-shirt made to celebrate.

Exactly. One of the worst things for an effective treatment or deterrent (whether it's medical or social) is that when it works, it's eventually mocked as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Makes me think of the Millenium Bug Fallacy (new term I just coined). People think that because planes didn't fall out of the sky on new year 2000 that the Millenium Bug was just a false scare and don't recognise the huge amount of work that went in to updating systems to be Y2K compliant. It comes up a lot these days because of a certain event a certain country is not prepared for.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 03:40:25 AM »
A MMR T-shirt? Sounds interesting. In late 2014 I had a stem-cell transplant to cap off my lymphoma treatment. This reset my entire immune system, so I had to be re-immunized like a newborn. But I had to hold off on live-virus vaccines for two years, including MMR. Right on cue, somebody brings measles to Disneyland, only a 90 minute drive north of here.

I managed to avoid getting sick, but it was with no small amount of relief that I was finally able to get my MMR shot two years later.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 11:50:02 AM »
I actually wrote an article about Y2K in media that mentioned how much work was involved!  http://www.the-solute.com/y2k-of-the-month/

And ka9q, as I've mentioned before, I have friends who live about a forty-five minute drive from Disneyland whose four-month-old went there four Januaries ago.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »
Good news. My nephew got his MMR. I'm having a commemorative T-shirt made to celebrate.

Exactly. One of the worst things for an effective treatment or deterrent (whether it's medical or social) is that when it works, it's eventually mocked as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Makes me think of the Millenium Bug Fallacy (new term I just coined). People think that because planes didn't fall out of the sky on new year 2000 that the Millenium Bug was just a false scare and don't recognise the huge amount of work that went in to updating systems to be Y2K compliant. It comes up a lot these days because of a certain event a certain country is not prepared for.
I would call that the IT Fallacy. When the IT guys do their job right, it looks like they're not doing anything. Or, heck, simply 'complacency'.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 04:17:50 AM »
Or the Godfellas effect, named for Futurama where Bender meets God who says when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.