Author Topic: Prof Brian Cox says what he really thinks...  (Read 22634 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Prof Brian Cox says what he really thinks...
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
... and the comments thread would fill a bingo card several times over.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153464942539347&id=348266389346
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Prof Brian Cox says what he really thinks...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »

Don't sit on the fence Prof Cox. This was posted some 7 years ago :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:45:44 AM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »
...and this [there's a bit of choice language in this one, for those of a sensitive disposition to profanity].

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:53:29 AM »
His loathing for HBs is well known, and you can get a clue as to his love of Apollo from the name of his web site:

http://www.apolloschildren.com/

He is also conducting the Q&A for James Lovell at a talk I'm attending in October, which should be great :)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »
His loathing for HBs is well known, and you can get a clue as to his love of Apollo from the name of his web site:

http://www.apolloschildren.com/

He is also conducting the Q&A for James Lovell at a talk I'm attending in October, which should be great :)

He takes a little criticism for his style, but I think he's really helped put physics back on the map in this country. There was a steady decrease in the number of students studying physics at University in the UK. That was reversed (for a few years at least), and it was called the Cox effect. I really like his work, despite some over the top presentation and the seemingly unnecessary exotic locations.

The death of star portion of Wonders filmed in the old prison does make me smile.

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »
there's a bit of choice language in this one, for those of a sensitive disposition to profanity

I like this one:

https://twitter.com/profbriancox/status/469856951871225857

It's a phrase he's used more than once on his twitter feed to describe hoaxnuts. I also think it works better without the 'k'.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »
there's a bit of choice language in this one, for those of a sensitive disposition to profanity

I like this one:

https://twitter.com/profbriancox/status/469856951871225857

It's a phrase he's used more than once on his twitter feed to describe hoaxnuts. I also think it works better without the 'k'.

Hi Bertie,  (sorry off topic) but will arrange that drink soon :).
I have just had a altercation with your old friend Taffy, my god the man is getting worse than ever. :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline BertieSlack

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 05:01:53 PM »
Hi Bertie,  (sorry off topic) but will arrange that drink soon :).
I have just had a altercation with your old friend Taffy, my god the man is getting worse than ever. :)

Hi mate. PM me about Taffy (I'd almost forgotten about him  ::)) and let's get down the boozer soon.  ;D

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »

Yep. It's all 'searing radiation hell' and 'why no stars?'. Depressing really.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 06:11:54 PM »

I've never really paid much attention to his Twitter feed, but that has made me laugh. Someone posted a response and used the word wazzack, which I have not heard in a long long time.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
I find the comment itself just useless. >:( It doesn't make the question a matter of facts but of values, which is *exactly* where the conspiracy theorists want it. Doctor Cox just cocked this up.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 02:00:15 AM »
I find the comment itself just useless. >:( It doesn't make the question a matter of facts but of values, which is *exactly* where the conspiracy theorists want it. Doctor Cox just cocked this up.

I understand your point, and yes we should all rise above it and stick to the arguments and let the facts speak for themselves and so on and so on, but your committed HB isn't interested in them. For all the dazzling swordplay of rational argument and logic you might attempt, sooner or later you need to do this:

One of the reasons I set up my own website was I got very bored of posting on conspiracy forums where the niceties of the terms and conditions meant I was unable to tell them what I thought of them. On my own site I have no such constraints and I can call a moron a moron.

In Cox's defence he gets a lot of stupid hoaxer nonsense on his facebook and twitter feeds, and from the sound of it in his email inbox as well. I imagine it gets pretty tedious having the stupid try and educate you on a subject you know a lot about. I've seen from his TV shows that he doesn't suffer fools gladly and when it comes to Apollo he doesn't suffer them at all!

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:25:55 AM »
The local water didn't agree with him, that's why the "sword vs. whip"-scene got cancelled.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 03:26:55 AM »
The Huffington Post have reported the Professor's comments, along with Buzz Aldrin's tweets.

Huffington Post - Brian Cox article
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:54:36 AM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 03:41:05 AM »

I'm not so sure, I think when it comes from someone so influential and a popular scientist with immense public interest, it doesn't hurt. OK, the blow hards aren't going to be swayed, but there are those doubters who might think 'well if it's good enough for Prof Cox, it's good enough for me.'

I also think that given his position, it is a nice swipe at the likes of JW and Adrian. It shows his disdain and exactly how much time he is going to invest in countering CTs claims - almost nothing! It sends out some form of useful message, even if people want to question the tone and content. It doesn't single out anyone in particular, so I'm comfortbale its not ad hominen at a personal level.

I also think that given he is a 'TV Professor', the slightly fruity language does make it amusing and it might gain some positive public interest as a result. I'd rather have him in Apollo's corner making such statments :)