Author Topic: How many cubic feet were in the Apollo Command module  (Read 50173 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: How many cubic feet were in the Apollo Command module
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 03:10:10 AM »
Which Command module is that picture suppose to be ??

It doesn't matter. They were all exactly the same size and shape.

This picture of the APOLLO 11 command Module with Spacey chick does appear to be 6x6x6 dont you think??

Not even remotely!

How many more ways do you want this explained to you, DAKDAK? You don't understand how to work out the volume of a cone, despite having it explained to you, and despite your claims to have 'come up with' the 210 cubic feet value by using the exterior dimensions. You don't understand the difference between total volume and habitable volume. You essentially don't understand anything relevant to your argument.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »
Not much longer. I thought we werent suppose to use inapropriate language.
I agree the language was inappropriate, but I can sympathize with the frustration engendered by your apparently willful refusal to face reality.
Which Command module is that picture suppose to be ??
Apparently Apollo 11 - the same CM an image of which you posted.

What does it matter?  Do you think the size of the CMs changed significantly from mission to mission?
This picture of the APOLLO 11 command Module with Spacey chick does appear to be 6x6x6 dont you think??
"Spacey chick"?  What happened to appropriate language? [Edit: never mind - see Daggerstab's post below]

Anyway, no, it is obviously not 6'x6'x6'.   And, again, I have been there, a number of times, and been up close to that very spacecraft.

I ask you again, are you just trolling?  If not, when are you going to start answering all the other challenges to your claims?   

edit: removed extra quoted material
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:35:01 PM by sts60 »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
Well, I'm strictly amateur, but I think there's more than one conspiracy mindset.  I can see at least two distinct mental disorders at play aside from the people who are just kind of dumb.
Which ones? I'm curious, and I have very little education in psychology but I'm interested in learning.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »

Now I think DAKDAK is suffering from Jack White syndrome.

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
"Spacey chick"?  What happened to appropriate language?

Well, that's the chosen nom-de-keyboard of the author of the website that was linked previously:
http://www.spaceychick.com/capsules/apollo/index.htm
That picture was taken from there.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »
Got it.  Previous post marked up accordingly.  Thanks.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Well, I'm strictly amateur, but I think there's more than one conspiracy mindset.  I can see at least two distinct mental disorders at play aside from the people who are just kind of dumb.
Which ones? I'm curious, and I have very little education in psychology but I'm interested in learning.

The most obvious is paranoid schizophrenia.  I very seldom think this to be the case in garden-variety conspiracists, but there have been several in whom that would have been my diagnosis, if I were qualified to diagnose and were willing to do so based merely on words on a screen.  These are the kinds who think we're all disinformation agents if we don't agree with them, who think they're being stalked by Sinister Forces.  In those cases, the paranoia has not manifested in (as in the case of my best friend's aunt) a conviction that everyone around them, even people who haven't ever directly harmed them, is an agent of the KKK.  (My best friend's aunt is a white Presbyterian!)  Their delusions focus on NASA or some other government agency instead.

There is actually also a disorder called delusional disorder, which I believe in the DSM-V will include extreme conspiracism all by itself.  (Note that it will only qualify as a disorder when it has a negative impact on the person's every day life.)  This leaves aside certain of the other aspects of schizophrenia but acknowledges that the delusions alone can be the problem.  Delusions can also be possible in the most severe sufferers of bipolar disorder, but as far as I know, not in all.  If so, will someone tell me what my delusions are?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
I very seldom think [paranoid schizophrenia] to be the case in garden-variety conspiracists, but there have been several in whom that would have been my diagnosis, if I were qualified to diagnose and were willing to do so based merely on words on a screen.

A poster named "Plautus Satire" on the old Yahoo! forum probably qualifies.  Some of you may remember J.R. Keller, who pops into these forums occasionally.  If memory serves, his wife is a degreed and qualified psychologist and that was her conclusion based solely on the writings.  There is some speculation whether DaveC/Rocky/FatFreddy88 might qualify, but I don't know if anyone properly trained has rendered an opinion there.

These are the kinds who think we're all disinformation agents if we don't agree with them, who think they're being stalked by Sinister Forces.

It's important to understand that the clinical distinction is between those who truly believe this, and those who merely put the antic disposition on for the sake of trolling or debate.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »
A poster named "Plautus Satire" on the old Yahoo! forum probably qualifies.  Some of you may remember J.R. Keller, who pops into these forums occasionally.  If memory serves, his wife is a degreed and qualified psychologist and that was her conclusion based solely on the writings.  There is some speculation whether DaveC/Rocky/FatFreddy88 might qualify, but I don't know if anyone properly trained has rendered an opinion there.

I'm not trained, but I've often thought he qualified.  He's one of the few I was specifically thinking about.  However, the only person whose real-world actions I know of which led me to be certain of the diagnosis is a certain woman who put her dog to sleep so it wouldn't suffer when Planet X came.  Everything she'd said up until that point could have been a con.  That final step?  Not so much.

It's important to understand that the clinical distinction is between those who truly believe this, and those who merely put the antic disposition on for the sake of trolling or debate.

Absolutely, which is why I'm so adamant that you can't diagnose just based on what you see here.  You can get a strong supposition, but if I worked at it (I don't see the point to doing so!), I could probably pull off a convincing enough schizophrenic that it would fool a mental health professional who was only familiar with my posts and never saw me in person or knew anything else about me.  Actually, I don't think it would be that difficult for me to do, if I cared enough.  It's one of the reasons I tend to disagree with anyone who tries to diagnose all conspiracists with the same label.  Honestly, some of them might be sociopaths who are just amusing themselves winding people up!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
Honestly, some of them might be sociopaths who are just amusing themselves winding people up!
It's pronounced "troll."
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 03:40:06 AM »
I don't think a troll is necessarily a sociopath; the apparent anonymity and frequent lack of consequentness of the Internet brings out a certain level of anti-social behaviour that they otherwise would not engage in.

Offline sts60

• Mars
How many cubic feet were in the command module
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »
DAKDAK's original post, reconstructed from quoted material.

Sorry I am not sure how to correctly reply to the replies  on the subject of "I don't know wether we went to the moon in the sixties or not" specifically how many cubic feet the Command module was but the Smithsonian Air and space museum(which is where the Command Module is today) says a TOTAL of 210 Cubic feet. Not a Habitable area of 210 cubic feet

Here is a link to the Smithsonian's video clip where I got this information (my source)

here is a link to part 1 and 2 of what was supposedly inside

part 1

part 2

Offline sts60

• Mars
How many cubic feet were in the command module
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »
DAKDAK's second post in this thread (link), reconstructed.
I am very impressed with the credentials of this sites member's. 
I am way out of my league debating with you guys and girls.
I have really enjoyed reading your replies and frankly I am very surprised I haven't been removed from the site. And that anyone replied to any posts I made at all.

I don't really consider myself a Conspiracy Theorist but I do think that the record of the Apollo Program and at least 75 percent of everything I learned in school about space is completely FALSE.

I also want to say three years ago when I realized The Apollo Program as we (the public) were told In my opinion is not and was not possible it was one of the most traumatic events in my life (forever changing my concept of reality), and if anyone could convince me that the official Apollo record was even close to true I would be forever indebted.

I to believe that I have gone at least a little CRAZY since I started watching and trying to understand the MOON maybe that's because when the moon is filling up I stay up all night on my roof (I cut a door to above the garage) taking pictures and messing with telescopes, cameras binoculars, flashlights and cell phone star and planet charts.

Does anyone else on this site other than me think that the moon emits not just a little but an amazing amount of light when it (the MOON) is almost or completely full, and that this light would have absolutely blinded any astronaut on the surface or Spaceship orbiting the MOON!!

Offline chrisbobson

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
Sorry I am not sure how to correctly reply to the replies  on the subject of "I don't know wether we went to the moon in the sixties or not" specifically how many cubic feet the Command module was but the Smithsonian Air and space museum(which is where the Command Module is today) says a TOTAL of 210 Cubic feet. Not a Habitable area of 210 cubic feet
Here is a link to the Smithsonian's video clip where I got this information (my source)

part 1

part 2

One of very true pictures inside the module attached

[Post restored by LunarOrbit]

Think of a bathroom, that's how big the CM was, a big bathroom.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
How many cubic feet were in the Apollo Command module
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 07:33:24 AM »

part 1

part 2

One of very true pictures inside the module attached

[Post restored by LunarOrbit]

Think of a bathroom, that's how big the CM was, a big bathroom.

And here's the setup...

OK, I'll play straight man before I go to work and be a productive part of society:  [Joe Pesche voice]What possible reason what you have picked that analogy?[/Joe Pesche voice]