Author Topic: Questions regarding the (alleged) Apollo soundstage.  (Read 23563 times)

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
Re: Questions regarding the (alleged) Apollo soundstage.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »
Of course, that doesn't explain why said breeze didn't also kick up dust.
Or why they didn't just reshoot the scene.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »
Of course, that doesn't explain why said breeze didn't also kick up dust.
Or why they didn't just reshoot the scene.

Nah..a whistle-blower signed it off in the hope that the conspiracy would be blown.....
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 01:18:22 PM »
I think they trimmed the part where some old newspapers blew across the set though...
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
And tumbleweeds.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
Well, there has been a claim going around that a bunny rabbit hopped across the set and also got caught on camera.

The part that bugs me most about the "flag was waving because of the breeze from an open door" is, well, the flag is STRAIGHT OUT.  What is outside that door, Katrina?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »
I think they trimmed the part where some old newspapers blew across the set though...

If Kubrick did it then it was filmed in Shepperton Studios in Surrey. At some point the tea-lady would have come round, pushing a trolley with mugs of tea and biscuits. They managed not to get her on any of the images....
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »
If Apollo had been filmed at Shepperton, the first landing would have been delayed until early 1970 on account of a set-mover's strike.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »

If Kubrick did it then it was filmed in Shepperton Studios in Surrey. At some point the tea-lady would have come round, pushing a trolley with mugs of tea and biscuits. They managed not to get her on any of the images....

Perhaps she dropped the Coke bottle that woman in Australia saw?
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »
Wow. They went to all that hassle to wash and sift tonnes of sand, yet realised the blooper reel where the flag was moving. They really were idiots at NASA, weren't they? Or should we blame Stanley Kubrick??

It's a common assumption that it was Kubrick, but:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5935HR.jpg

It was obviously J.J. Abrams.

At least some of that comes from the fact that HBs as a group have no discernible sense of humor and don't realize that Dark Side Of The Moon was a mocumentary.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 07:58:15 PM »

The truth emerges, in which a falling light ruins Neil's first step.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »

This is hilarious, and not to be taken seriously by anyone.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 04:51:43 AM »
This is my favourite one (look closely at the reflection in the visor).

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 05:03:21 AM »
What I find entertaining is that hoax believers can rarely, if ever, agree on anything (even within their own arguments)... whereas, as we have demonstrated on the "€1m" thread, independent engineers and physicists do agree down to decimal points and beyond.  It's almost as if physics is consistent, or something  ::)

Yet, somehow, HBs miss this pretty big clue.

The lack of a consistent narrative among proponents of a theory (conspiracy or not) is, to me, one of the biggest indicators that the theory is unreliable.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
1.If there is a breeze on the flag (ie its an external set) why do subsequent photos claim to show stage lights?Is the stage outside or inside????

Well, from the mainstream point of view we do use "studio lights" outdoors too, especially for shooting at night.  In the daytime we often find that shade and shadow are too stark.  So to create fill light we can diffuse the sunlight and open up the lens, reflect sunlight into the shadows with large reflectors, or apply studio lighting to bring up the shadows.

See http://www.clavius.org/bibzz1.html for an example of how we created a "Moon set" at night out in the desert.  And yes, it was very, very windy that night.  Our flag nearly blew over.

Conspiracy film maker Bart Sibrel has argued that the set was indoors, but that the flag waving was caused by massive air conditioners used allegedly to keep the astronauts cool on the set.  Funny thing is, such a setup wouldn't have the slightest effect.  The suit you see in the photos linked above is a costume space suit built by Global Effects for the miniseries From The Earth to the Moon.  The prop PLSS has a set of batteries and fans that feed air into the suit helmet, using the oxygen hoses.  According to Global Effects, which is Hollywood's premier supplier of space-suit costumes and props, this is the only way actors can receive fresh air and stay cool while wearing a full space suit costume.  So blowing air on the outside of the suits won't help.

But your point remains valid nevertheless:  there are a number of dissimilar theories for where and how the allegedly fake Moon footage was filmed.  They can't decide whether it was indoors or outdoors.

2.In the various photos why cant we see any stagehands,directors,lights or any other equipment  bar the LM.

Over the years I've heard a few people claim they can in fact see studio equipment, stage hands, etc.  Their claims invariably turn out to be little more than pareidolic interpretations of reflections or shadows in heavily processed and enlarged portions of each image.

The rest turn out to be poorly Photoshopped fakes.

3.If we are supposed to be able to see stars why cant we see any in the photo showing the flag waving?

Presuming it's supposed to be outside, you still wouldn't necessarily see the stars.  You can't see the stars in any of the video or photography we did out in the desert, and any of the photographers and cinematographers on the set could have told you why.

The visibility of stars in photographs still remains one of the hotly contested points, when the science of it is so very well established.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »
The truth emerges, in which a falling light ruins Neil's first step.

I love this one because it still makes the rounds of conspiracy theorists even after the obvious reference to the "Mr. Gorsky" joke, and the coming-clean of the London studio that made it.  After a month of letting it go viral, they posted a page at the original URL that said basically, "Here's who we are, here's how we made it, and please don't take it seriously."  The die-hard conspiracy believers keep falling all over themselves trying to show that it's still "somehow" a genuine outtake clip.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams