Author Topic: Mercury, Gemini and Apollo flight crew.  (Read 11800 times)

Offline BILLR

• Mercury
Mercury, Gemini and Apollo flight crew.
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:00:01 AM »
Have any of these people looked at the careers of the flight crew's. The argument by definition means all of these pilots are complete liars. Just look at the records and histories of these crewmen.I will not change your minds, but just take a little time to check out who and what these pilots were all about. Please.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Mercury, Gemini and Apollo flight crew.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:51 AM »
What makes you think we haven't?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:48:23 AM »
I'm not sure what you are getting at.  What lie do you think has been told and what evidence do you have for it?
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:12:35 AM »
Astronauts have had enormously varied careers, both before and especially after being astronauts.

Which ones do you have in mind, and why do you think it brands them as liars?

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 04:06:53 AM »
We're aware of all their careers.  They're widely published since the astronauts were celebrities of sorts.

How exactly does that translate into them being liars "by definition"?  You're going to have to explain that.

The fact that you assume we're not familiar with their careers speaks volumes about how it came to be that you went down the road of ignorance.  You, like most HBs, assume we only have a very superficial knowledge of Apollo topic.  You think that going a little deeper, you'll stun us with the technical detail.  Like most HBs, you're wrong.  We know more about it than you could ever imagine.

That you thought we wouldn't know something as obvious as the careers of the astronauts is laughable.

Offline BILLR

• Mercury
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:19:56 AM »
Sorry. I did not get my piont accross properly.I did not mean to say that these pilots were liars. What I meant to say is that their career's as pilots,their shere joy and devotion to aviation would make it impossible for them to become part of any hoax.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 04:27:30 AM »
Sorry. I did not get my piont accross properly.I did not mean to say that these pilots were liars. What I meant to say is that their career's as pilots,their shere joy and devotion to aviation would make it impossible for them to become part of any hoax.

Yes, we know.  Who exactly is your statement "I will not change your minds, but just take a little time to check out who and what these pilots were all about. Please" aimed at?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:50:25 AM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline BILLR

• Mercury
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:33 AM »
It is aimed at the people who do not believe in the moon landings.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:02:39 AM »
Methinks you have misinterpreted things?

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
It is aimed at the people who do not believe in the moon landings.

I suggest you tell them then, not us.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:21:43 AM »
And I'm not sure that it is a particularly good argument anyway.  It's really more of an appeal to emotion.

Offline BILLR

• Mercury
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:30:21 AM »
I was not trying to be arrogant. I was making a piont which I think is valid.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »
I'm a bit confused.  I didn't see an accusation of arrogance, and I don't understand why you think the point needs to be made?

Are we getting our wires crossed?

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »
Having met and seen various Apollo and Gemini astronauts lecture, I can certainly attest to their passion and commitment to spaceflight. I completely agree that such men would certainly not be party to any kind of hoax.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
I was not trying to be arrogant. I was making a piont which I think is valid.

I think it is a valid point, and I think you can add to that the engineers and scientists who worked on the project too.  In most cases these were people who were notable and honored in their fields before working on Apollo.  They had nothing to gain by participating in a hoax, and quite a bit to lose if they were caught.  No motivation therefore to voluntarily participate.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams