Author Topic: Apollo mountains on Earth  (Read 5769 times)

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
Apollo mountains on Earth
« on: August 17, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
I see these images ever so often. Would anybody know what is going on? Anybody have a source for the images? have they appeared anywhere without the mountains?

Any research on this would be great, maybe i'll make a debunking video on it.
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline BDL

• Venus
Re: Apollo mountains on Earth
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:53:24 AM »
Well, if you look closely at the two mountains, they do look similar but they aren’t at all exact. Nor are the two hills next to it exact either. And I don’t really think it’s very logical to create such an argument in the first place. For example, if you take a picture of any mountain/hill, you’ll almost always find another mountain/hill that looks similar or even nearly exact. Maybe not the same size, color, composition, position, setting, but you’ll certainly always be able to do it. It’s the same way with the moon. If you take a picture of a hill on the moon - chances are, out of the millions of mountains or hills on earth, there should be some that would look similar.
At least that’s how I see it.

If it’s implied that NASA faked the moon landings by modeling the moon hills from a reference picture of an Earth hill, then why would NASA be so lazy as to just take some pictures of a couple hills near the NASA Training Ground and just call that good?
And if this type of thing was going to be a problem, and if it were me faking a moon landing, I’d likely just model the moon hills after some small insignificant hill in the middle of nowhere. And then completely destroy that hill so no one could ever find out. I wouldn’t at all model the moon hills after some hills that I knew many people could get to. I also don’t think I’d let Buzz Aldrin even take that photo. In fact, why would Buzz Aldrin himself even let that photo get out?

If it’s implied that NASA faked the moon landings by simply filming near the hill with it in sight then that raises more questions. Again, why would NASA be so lazy as to film the moon landings near a NASA training center? And to do this, you’d have to have the ability to recolor footage, somehow find a way to make the dust not stay suspended in the air, make the dust in all 1/6 gravity, etc.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:25:46 AM by BDL »
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:02:45 AM »
Well, if you look closely at the two mountains, they do look similar but they aren’t at all exact. Nor are the two hills next to it exact either. And I don’t really think it’s very logical to create such an argument in the first place. For example, if you take a picture of any mountain/hill, you’ll almost always find another mountain/hill that looks similar or even nearly exact. Maybe not the same size, color, composition, position, setting, but you’ll certainly always be able to do it. It’s the same way with the moon. If you take a picture of a hill on the moon - chances are, out of the millions of mountains or hills on earth, there should be some that would look similar.
At least that’s how I see it.
You see it correctly.

Put yourself in charge of the astronaut training program. If it were me, I would immediately seek out earth locations that matched the lunar surface so that the astronauts could practice in a location where the environment most closely matched what was expected on the lunar surface. That just makes sense.

Given the training program was intentionally designed to simulate as best as possible lunar surface conditions BEFORE THEY WENT, why would anyone be remotely surprised that when they actually went, the real environment was pretty similar to the training environment? Isn't that the point of even having a training environment?

Somehow, the CT lot think we should have trained astronauts in a training environment that was not even remotely similar to the planned environment. A brief moments thought would reveal to anyone how stupid that idea is.

If you want to train somebody to be an airline pilot, would the best simulator you could come up with be a potato? Of course not. What you do is build those huge flight sims that are used for pilot training that match the real world as closely as you can. (side note: if you can score some time in one of those, I recommend it)

It seems plainly evident to me that one does not train astronauts to walk on the moon by means of knitting classes. Lesson 1: How to knit a heat shield.

This is how moronic the CT claims are.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:18:24 AM »
You also need to look at the size of those two spoil heaps. The south massif at Taurus-Littrow is massive - 10 miles wide in fact. If you look at the hills claimed to be the same on on Earth they're probably not even a 100 yards.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
Look closely at the photo of Buzz Aldrin to see what we need to seek to find the exact location. There is a slightly better copy online of 500 x 375 pixels on the following "marvellous" webpage:-
http://theconspiracyzone.podcastpeople.com//posts/comment/27709
It's nearly half-way down the page, following two shots of lunar rovers.

Behind Buzz at far left is what looks like a low, bluish and distant wavy hill with three peaks. Immediately behind him is the largest of two flat-topped hills or mountains which look a little like Apollo 17's South Massif. The first hides most of the second one which looks almost the same height. Then low on the right, just above the last two vehicles, is a low, wavy-topped hill with two peaks. High above that is what looks like the gently-sloping flank of a mountain.

Buzz appears to be standing on a lava field, then there's a road with parked vehicles, and it looks as if the lava field continues on the far side of the road.

Drop the following three coordinates into Google Earth, and I believe you will be viewing the two hills under discussion.

They are small volcanic cones, similar in size to the cones in New Zealand's Auckland City. Their tops are less than 100 meters above ground level and the greatest distance across their bases is about 520 metres.

1) Establishing shot
19°41'24.02" N 155°28'24.91" W

2) Better view
19°41'37.09" N 155°28'56.40" W

3) Possibly close to the exact location in the photo
19°41'25.02" N 155°28'54.38" W

The first coordinates give an establishing shot.  From high above, the two small volcanic cones with craters are at upper left, about 1.5 and 2 km away. Also note the two roads. Saddle Road looks fairly modern with its long, sweeping curves, and I suspect that Buzz might have been on the other road which, much further west, is called Lava Road. From ground level the photo gives us hills and mountain which look about right, but it doesn't show the correct relationships between them.

The second coordinates, from ground level on Saddle Road, give us a photo that's about as close as we can get to the correct view, but the slope of Mauna Kea is too low and we can't see the wavy hilltops at far left, which are actually a continuation of the same flank of Mauna Kea. Besides, this position is beyond the lava field.

The third coordinates on Lava Road don't give a photo, but the contours provided by Google Earth are much better than in the second set and a photo from close to that position might show everything just as it is behind Buzz.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:23:45 PM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
Excellent detective work there Kiwi!

Another thing that needs to be looked at here is not just the overall shape of the mountains but the surface detail on them. If you zoom in on Apollo 17 images of the south massif you can see all kinds of stripes and patterns relating to the surface geology. Those patterns are an exact match for what can be seen in images taken from lunar orbit by all manner of probes.

Those details do not appear on the mounds found on Earth claimed to be standing in for real lunar landscapes. One minute these people are claiming they are backdrops in a studio, the next they are real hills in the outdoors. None of them can explain how they got such detailed fakes in the absence of photographs showing the details required.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
Although apollo16uvc says in his profile that he lives in the Descartes Highlands, I don't believe him and have an inkling that he lives in the Netherlands, which apparently is a country that's not known for much in the way of hills, let alone mountains, so it's understandable that he might want our input.

Back in May 2009 we tackled the same photo
http://apollohoax.proboards.com/thread/2391

At the time we were told it shows Buzz Aldrin at Mauna Kea, Hawaii in 1969, but if that really is Buzz, to me he looks much too old for 1969. Can anyone date the vehicles, or the camera next to "Buzz"?

Some of our current regulars posted there, and at the top of page three I uncharitably mentioned to member inconceivable that while driving the day before,
just beyond the boundary of my village I saw cows ripping into a pile of hay, the shape of which reminded me of South Massif and the Hawaiian hill...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:32:09 PM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »
Are we even sure it's Buzz - looks a lot like John Young as well? I'd definitely say it's not 1969 - much more recent than that.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »
I can't get the links in the opening post to work.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »
This is blog is the only place I could find this image a lot of Hoax nonsense, including Jack White.

http://theconspiracyzone.podcastpeople.com/posts/comment/28159
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
This is blog is the only place I could find this image a lot of Hoax nonsense, including Jack White.

http://theconspiracyzone.podcastpeople.com/posts/comment/28159

I've done all manner of searches and it only ever seems to appear on conspiracy websites. I am always deeply suspicious of that!

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
It's hardly an exact similarity. NASA would need to do as much work as if starting from scratch getting it to look the same.