Author Topic: Rockets dont work in space  (Read 14715 times)

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
Rockets dont work in space
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Rockets dont work in space
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
Chekhov really partied a little too hard.

Offline Dr_Orpheus

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:23 AM »
This seems to be a popular view among the extreme end of hoax advocates.   Heiwa,  a HB who among other things believes that all manned space flight and all nuclear weapons are fake, got kicked off of the clues forum for saying that unmanned satellites are real.  Everyone else on that forum believed they were fake because rockets wouldn't work without anything to push against.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
Heiwa,  a HB who among other things believes that all manned space flight and all nuclear weapons are fake, got kicked off of the clues forum for saying that unmanned satellites are real.

Now there is some serious irony.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
He has some other gems like Noshot and one concerning fluoridation. I didn't view either but left some pertinent comments on this video in YouTube.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
This seems to be a popular view among the extreme end of hoax advocates.   Heiwa,  a HB who among other things believes that all manned space flight and all nuclear weapons are fake, got kicked off of the clues forum for saying that unmanned satellites are real.  Everyone else on that forum believed they were fake because rockets wouldn't work without anything to push against.
What to push against? Air? But air density is neglible and its only a problem when flying up due to aerodynamic forces. Also the pressure of the propellants are higher than the air on the chamber, the third newton law is totally independent from what "to push against" if im not mistaken.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:56:55 PM »
That individual has a lot of issues  concerning physics for sure.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dr_Orpheus

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
What to push against? Air? But air density is neglible and its only a problem when flying up due to aerodynamic forces. Also the pressure of the propellants are higher than the air on the chamber, the third newton law is totally independent from what "to push against" if im not mistaken.

You're not mistaken but HBs aren't interested in the lies of mainstream physics.  Physics made up to fit the pet hoax idea is much more interesting.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 12:45:53 AM »

You're not mistaken but HBs aren't interested in the lies of mainstream physics.  Physics made up to fit the pet hoax idea is much more interesting.
Yes, but they are not true if they contradict supported models. It makes me sad that people who doesnt knows about physics are falling for this.

Offline Dr_Orpheus

• Venus
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 07:19:51 AM »

Yes, but they are not true if they contradict supported models. It makes me sad that people who doesnt knows about physics are falling for this.

I meant to use the term "lies," sarcastically. 

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
I think it's a case where people without much background in physics try to use intuitive, "common sense" thinking. In our grounded world, we step or move by "pushing against" things. If a giant hand picked up a car, its wheels would cycle uselessly with nothing to "push against".  The fact that the gas in the rocket "pushes against," not the atmosphere but the rocket itself, isn't as obvious.

Then there's the misconception that a craft in space would have to endlessly burn fuel for propulsion, rather than coasting with no friction. A mind expecting Earth conditions will expect the craft to come to a halt with no further propulsion, and it's hard to rewire one's thinking to accept this.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »

I meant to use the term "lies," sarcastically.
Yes, I know. The problem is that a lot of people dont have the skills to detect those "lies" and thus they fall for them.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 03:39:22 PM »
I wonder if the individuals who spout such nonsense are only trying to get reactions, sto(r)king their ego.  I've noticed that Jockndoris comments on how many views/comments his post illicit.  In addition they try to show to the novice observer, that they "know" something that nobody else knows.  Again this boosts the ego that is involved.

Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 05:10:34 PM »
The idea isn't new at least. The New York times published an editorial in 1920 making the same claim. However, now that we have satellites in orbit anyone could observe, the idea is slightly less credible than it might have been then.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 03:21:54 AM »
...this boosts the ego that is involved.

That happens to people who suffer from the terrible affliction of more ego than brains.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:24:09 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)